Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Koala upgrade disaster. Is there a solution?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Koala upgrade disaster. Is there a solution?

One thing that I have found to be helpful after several failed attempts to upgrade my jaunty to the new karmic v. was to enter systems panel, Admin, Software Sources, and reset your download from que to "download from nearest location". I'm using a laptop and although this config made it possible to download the new v. it took almost 2 hours.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SpotTheWonderDog View Post
    No, it's not completely out of the question but all too often I've read posts where the solution is 'format and reinstall'. Many times, I've been able to recover from what seemed like total disasters.

If I would give up on each project or start all again, I'd never learn anything.
    That's the spirit!!

Quote Originally Posted by SpotTheWonderDog View Post
    Can someone please take at look at these files and the UUIDs and see if I've done something particularly stupid?

I would greatly appreciate any assistance you can offer.
    I don't see anything glaringly wrong with fstab or menu.lst at a glance.

TBH I'd recommend a clean install myself but if you wanted to be brazing and to to try your best to fix it; Here's 2 things to try:

Boot into the 2.6.28 that's working for and try to install a new kernel. Maybe try the latest 2.6.31 entry listed here, and see if that gets the system up and running for you. The pre compiled versions are here:
    http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/

Another thing maybe worth trying if the sound issue persists is to upgrade Alsa to the latest version. There's a great upgrade script posted here:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=6589810

Not sure if that's any use to you, but it's what I'd try.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Question Re: Koala upgrade disaster. Is there a solution?

Hey guys

Well i got a similar Problem: after Uprading from 9.04 to 9.10 it run well the first time but without sound.
    I update and upgraded. Then after running 2.6.28-15:

Starting up...
    [Firmware Bug]owerhow-k8:Your BIOS does not provide ACPI_PSS Objects in a way that linux understands. Please report this to the linux ACPI maintainers and complain to your BIOS vendor.

The same messages shown again 4 times.

Maybe it doesnt work because i should boot 2.6.31-14 ?
    Well i dont know and itll be great if somebody knows wht to do to get it run again.

thx

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by griachae View Post
    Hey guys

Well i got a similar Problem: after Uprading from 9.04 to 9.10 it run well the first time but without sound.
    I update and upgraded. Then after running 2.6.28-15:

Starting up...
    [Firmware Bug]owerhow-k8:Your BIOS does not provide ACPI_PSS Objects in a way that linux understands. Please report this to the linux ACPI maintainers and complain to your BIOS vendor.

The same messages shown again 4 times.

Maybe it doesnt work because i should boot 2.6.31-14 ?
    Well i dont know and itll be great if somebody knows wht to do to get it run again.

thx
    Can you re-post your question in your own thread please? Nobody likes to have their thread hi-jacked.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Sry but i dont have a thread and dont know how to create one

Beans

@ OP
    You said that you can get into your install with one of the kernels, correct?
    My advice (as a complete n00b) would be to d/l and burn this. All this disc does is boot you into a linux install (as long as you did a standard install). This may allow you into your install even if you can't access it otherwise. From there I would advise completely purging grub, rebooting, and reinstalling grub.
    This may be flawed advice, so you might want to allow a more experienced user to reply first, but it's very similar to what I did Friday night (ok, very early Sat morning) to repair my system when I sodomized my grub install (yeah, I messed it up THAT badly).
    BTW, I have 4 partitions on two HDDs with Windows 7 on one and Ubuntu on the other, and my in place upgrade worked fine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Supergrub? I think Spot mentioned that he's tried that. I've never used it, but boy does it look snazzy. We probably don't need it though.

This actually doesn't sound too bad. It's especially helpful that you have the old Jaunty kernel (.28-15) and it'll even boot Karmic. Any system you can boot from its own partitions is a very good sign. Both restore and audio are kernel-dependent, so the second problem to deal with is that the Karmic kernel (.31-14) isn't booting.

The zeroth problem is making sure you back up the data you want to keep. Things might get worse before they get better, since there's no going back to Jaunty without either a re-install or introducing all kind of fun problems--Debian-based systems don't like to downgrade.

The first problem to fix is the probably less-than-complete upgrade.

So,
    0 - Backup
    1 - make sure that apt is not confused and up-to-date
    2 - figure out why kernel .31 isn't booting (unless fixed by 1)
    3+ - figure out why sound and resume aren't working (unless fixed by 1 or 2)

I'm going to focus on #1 to start.

Basically, we need to make sure that this computer is pulling from the Karmic repositories and is up-to-date fixing errors along the way.

So, the first thing to do is boot and look at /etc/apt/sources.list . The deb lines should refer to "karmic" "karmic-security" "karmic-updates," etc, not "jaunty." These are the minimum-required lines from mine; the URL will be different unless you download from MIT, too.
    Code:
    deb http://ubuntu.media.mit.edu/ubuntu/ karmic restricted main
    deb http://ubuntu.media.mit.edu/ubuntu/ karmic-updates main restricted
    deb http://ubuntu.media.mit.edu/ubuntu/ karmic-security main restricted
    If you need to recreate this file, the list of mirrors is here: https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+archivemirrors

Now, make sure you're connected to the Internet and run "sudo apt-get update". This will tell your computer what Karmic is supposed to have.

If it complains about missing public keys, the upgrade didn't install the keys necessary to detect tampering on the mirror. It's fairly safe to ignore this for now--it wont hurt your installation unless someone actually has cracked the mirror.

Now that you have updated package lists, the next thing to do is upgrade the package management tools:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install apt-get aptitude dpkg
    Those will probably be up-to-date already, since that's the first thing upgrade does. If apt gives an error because some packages are half-installed or half-configured,
    Code:
    sudo dpkg --configure -a
    will try to fix them.

Keep the upgrade from removing your good kernel.
    Code:
    sudo aptitude hold linux-image-2.6.28-15-generic
    Once apt-get, aptitude, and dpkg are up-to-date
    Code:
    sudo aptitude safe-upgrade
    aptitude -s full-upgrade
    sudo aptitude full-upgrade
    The first one doesn't remove any packages. This means it will only make simple changes between the jauntykarmic thing you have so far and Karmic. The second shows you what packages it will remove to make the full upgrade possible, note that | is the pipe character.

The third actually does remove outdated jaunty stuff.

Hopefully, if there are no errors, that's it. Reboot and it works. Hopefully.

Good luck.

Based on slakkie's best practices here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...88&postcount=9 . Modified to upgrade to Karmic, not Lucid.
    Last edited by wildweathel; November 4th, 2009 at 09:13 PM.

Beans

Once again, I only suggested SGD to get him into his install, as a matter of fact that's all that the recovery disc does... I know b/c I used it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

If he's booting without a CD, grub is working fine, thus no need to worry about it. Look back to the first post, notice that he's modified the /boot/menu.lst on his harddrive to get it to work. I might be wrong, and things can always blow up later, but I don't think a rescue CD or messing with grub is called for now.

Sincere thanks for pointing out SGD, though. I think I'll fire up Virtualbox and try it out.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast