Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Acer 5920(G) - Karmic tweaks

Beans

Re: Acer 5920(G) - Karmic tweaks

Glad you seem to have got there.

I'll take a look at the euro / dollar script later. I don't bother with those keys myself, really.

Interestingly, the brightness controls work fine out of the box for me. Strange.

Charlie

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

It works here too, but it works the same was as it did before the backlisting fix on Jaunty.

Ok I did a rounding of all the hotkeys:

Hot media keys work (fn + home, pg up etc...)
    Brightness works, it's a bit glitchy
    Sleep just brings me a black screen with blinking white cursor, nothing else. I had to manually restart the PC...
    Touchpad enable/disable works
    Num lock works
    Scroll lock does NOT work
    Screen off works
    Switch screens, no clue, can't try this
    Mute works
    The one on F3 gives me power information
    The one on F2 does nothing
    The one on F1 does nothing
    Last edited by Pott; November 15th, 2009 at 03:02 PM.

Beans

I still prefer a PageUp and PageDown on the €- and $-keys. This can be done by editing the file /lib/udev/keymaps/acer and editing the entries 0xB3 and 0xB4 to look like this:

Code:
    0xB3 pageup
    0xB4 pagedown
    Percy

Beans

Help, eurodollar fix never worked on my laptop. Why?

Thanks all for all fixes and thank Fokker for your thread, my laptop is very cool whit them

Beans

Hello!

Is anyone else finding Karmic a bit glitchy on this machine? I have been using it now for a couple of weeks since the fresh install, and have the following issues:

- Suspend key isn't working. I can suspend fine from the panl applet, or by closing the lid, but I'd prefer the key. I have it set in keyboard shortcuts (where the key is detected fine), and also the power management app, but no joy. I've also tried fiddling with the settings of each, without luck. Oddly, it was working last week but has now stopped!

- Speaking of power management, I don't seem to be able to stop my display from going to sleep (dimming to darkness) when on AC or battery power. That's very annoying when watching a movie or whatever. I've got all the settings in power-management for the whole machine to stay awake. Maybe I'm missing something?

- I have lost compiz quite a few times (although not in the last few days). Suddenly, the window decoration and gnome-do will disappear, and I've ended up having to reboot.

- I can't mount / unmount my windows partition as a normal (non-root) user. If anyone is able to do this, please could you post your fstab?

- VPN via pptp will only intermittently work. I think that's not necessarily a problem with Karmic, mind.

Grrrr.

If you can shed any light on any of the above, please let me know!

Charlie

Beans

Hello
    Can someone help us ? Mediakeys are ok with Totem and Rhythmbox but they dont work with Vlc. How can i use they on vlc? Thank you

Help

Beans

hi again,
    im sry but i have some problems whit xubuntu karmic, can these multimadiakeys' fix work on xubuntu? I dont know xubuntu very well can someone help me? thx

Beans

I have a different solution for getting syndaemon to pick up the correct touchpad in Karmic. Maybe it helps you. I had to do two things, which I put into one file: /etc/hal/fdi/policy/touchpad.fdi

Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <deviceinfo version="0.2">
      <device>
        <match key="input.x11_driver" string="synaptics">
          <merge key="input.x11_options.SHMConfig" type="string">on</merge>
        </match>
      </device>

<device>
        <match key="info.udi" string="/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/platform_i8042_i8042_AUX2_port_logicaldev_input">
          <merge key="input.x11_driver" type="string">none</merge>
        </match>
      </device>

</deviceinfo>
    The first part enables SHMConfig for all devices that a synaptics driver is loaded for by X11. Needed to get syndaemon to work at all.... The second part tells X11 to load driver "none" for the media keys on the right side of the keyboard. This driver does not exist, so in the X11 log file you will see a warning, but that does not matter: The effect is that the media keys are disabled. Since syndaemon now only sees one touchpad instead of two, it will always attach itself to the correct one, all problems fixed. Also works with the setting under System -> Preferences -> Mouse -> Touchpad

Beans

Hi,
    i tried to follow this guide, but i have a problem during one step of the process.
    When i execute

Code:
    patch tools/syndaemon.c tools/syndaemon.patch
    I have

Code:
    patching file tools/syndaemon.c
    Hunk #2 FAILED at 477.
    Hunk #4 FAILED at 563.
    2 out of 5 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file tools/syndaemon.c.rej
    And at the end of all the process the media keys still don't work.
    What do you think about it?
    Bye!

Beans

Hello!

Recently installed Lucid on my machine, and have been enjoying the biannual struggle with the media keys!

I see that the current (unpatched) release of synaptics still does not allow the -n switch. I am seeing:

Code:
    $ tools/syndaemon -n Touchpad
    Unable to find a synaptics device.
    I can't remap the media key buttons, either:

Code:
    $ xinput set-button-map "Mediakeys" 1 2 3 17 18 19 20 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    unable to find device Mediakeys
    Hmmm.

Anyone had any success with this on Lucid?

Cheers
    Charlie

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast