Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How to install (only) a kernel from an installation CD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: How to install (only) a kernel from an installation CD

Quote Originally Posted by bribera View Post
    You just need to mount it using the device name instead of the UUID. The UUID isn't working because you didn't go through the normal bootup procedure, so it isn't set up.

Try this:
    Code:
    ubuntu@ubuntu:/$ sudo mount -t ext3 /dev/sda6 /home
    Your "sudo: unable to resolve host ubuntu" error has to do with your hostname, I believe.

Try doing this:
    Code:
    ubuntu@ubuntu:/$ cat /etc/hostname
    ubuntu@ubuntu:/$ sudo hostname ##### whatever the second entry for 127.0.0.1 is
    In other words, your host name is currently set to "ubuntu", but /etc/hosts is expecting a different name. My computer has the following entries:
    Code:
    127.0.0.1	localhost
    127.0.1.1	scylla
    So I'd do:

Code:
    ubuntu@ubuntu:/$ sudo hostname scylla
    Then check whether you're connected to the internet:
    Code:
    ubuntu@ubuntu:/$ ping -c 3 google.com
    Thank you Bribera. I did everything all over again (the more times, the better). Indeed, root@ubuntu had ubuntu as hostname, while /etc/hosts had something else (x). I run sudo hostname x but internet is not working.
    sudo /etc/init.d/networking start similarly doesn't help.

At this point I have to say that I have commented out the /etc/fstab line where the /home was mounted. Consequently:

Code:
    root@ubuntu:/# mount -a
    root@ubuntu:/# mount -l
    /dev/sda1 on / type ext3 (rw,relatime,errors=remount-ro)
    tmpfs on /lib/init/rw type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,mode=0755)
    proc on /proc type proc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
    sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
    varrun on /var/run type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,mode=0755)
    varlock on /var/lock type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,mode=1777)
    udev on /dev type tmpfs (rw,mode=0755)
    tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
    devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,noexec,nosuid,gid=5,mode=620)
    binfmt_misc on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
    Code:
    /etc/init.d/gdm start
    has equally no effect.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Do you use Wifi, or a cable for your internet connection?

What does this command output?
    Code:
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ grep cdrom /etc/apt/sources.list
    If there is a cdrom line in your sources.list, you can probably uncomment it and install packages from the CD.
    "To make a statue needs skill: to view a statue aright needs skill also." -Epictetus

Beans
    Distro

Do you use Wifi, or a cable for your internet connection?

What does this command output?
    Code:
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ grep cdrom /etc/apt/sources.list
    If there is a cdrom line in your sources.list, you can probably uncomment it and install packages from the CD.
    Hi. I use Wifi. This is grep's output:
    Code:
    root@ubuntu:/# grep cdrom /etc/apt/sources.list
    # deb cdrom:[Ubuntu 8.10 _Intrepid Ibex_ - Release i386 (20081029.5)]/ 
    intrepid main restricted

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by tg1w View Post
    Hi. I use Wifi.
    Ah, that makes sense then. You'd have to use iwconfig to get on the network, and that's a pain.

Try this:
    1. Make a backup copy of /etc/apt/sources.list
    2. Edit /etc/apt/sources.list and remove everything except that cdrom line
    3. Make sure the cdrom line is uncommented

Then do:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    And see if you can install a kernel.

If that works remember to:
    1. Uncomment the line about mounting /home in /etc/fstab - VERY IMPORTANT
    2. Replace your edited /etc/apt/sources.list with your backup copy
    "To make a statue needs skill: to view a statue aright needs skill also." -Epictetus

Beans
    Distro

Ah, that makes sense then. You'd have to use iwconfig to get on the network, and that's a pain.

Try this:

Then do:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update

Thank you.

I had already been trying to trick Synaptic into using only the CD-ROM. To start with, this was mounted before chroot-ing, through a
    Code:
    sudo mkdir /mnt/system/media/cdrom0
    sudo mount /dev/scd0 /mnt/system/media/cdrom0
    All perfect. After chroot-ing I was able to start Synaptic. Final problem now is that when I'm looking for linux-image packages, I don't find one any more. I have a set of linux-image-2.6.*-generic.

If I try to mark one for installation, I get something like:
    linux-image-2.6.28-15-generic:

Package linux-image-2.6.28-15-generic has no available version, but exists in the database.
    This typically means that the package was mentioned in a dependency and never uploaded, has been obsoleted or is not available with the contents of sources.list

Beans
    Distro

Yeap, life is not great.

Only a couple of packages seem to be available in Synaptic. I tried to install a "lupin-support", the cdrom started spinning, package was downloaded. Then came a Error failed to fork pty error message.

Beans
    Distro

Try this:

Then do:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update

Code:
    root@teodor-d630:/# sudo aptitude update
    Ign cdrom://Ubuntu 9.04 _Jaunty Jackalope_ - Release i386 (20090420.1) jaunty/main Translation-en_US
    Ign cdrom://Ubuntu 9.04 _Jaunty Jackalope_ - Release i386 (20090420.1) jaunty/restricted Translation-en_US
    Reading package lists... Done

root@teodor-d630:/# sudo aptitude search linux
    i   libselinux1                                                   - SELinux shared libraries                                               
    v   linux-boot-loader                                             -                                                                        
    i   linux-firmware                                                - Firmware for Linux kernel drivers                                      
    v   linux-headers                                                 -                                                                        
    v   linux-headers-2.6                                             -                                                                        
    i A linux-headers-2.6.28-11                                       - Header files related to Linux kernel version 2.6.28                    
    i A linux-headers-2.6.28-11-generic                               - Linux kernel headers for version 2.6.28 on x86/x86_64                  
    i   linux-headers-2.6.28-13                                       - Header files related to Linux kernel version 2.6.28                    
    i   linux-headers-2.6.28-13-generic                               - Linux kernel headers for version 2.6.28 on x86/x86_64                  
    i   linux-headers-2.6.28-14                                       - Header files related to Linux kernel version 2.6.28                    
    i   linux-headers-2.6.28-14-generic                               - Linux kernel headers for version 2.6.28 on x86/x86_64                  
    i   linux-headers-2.6.28-15                                       - Header files related to Linux kernel version 2.6.28                    
    i   linux-headers-2.6.28-15-generic                               - Linux kernel headers for version 2.6.28 on x86/x86_64                  
    i   linux-headers-2.6.28-16                                       - Header files related to Linux kernel version 2.6.28                    
    i   linux-headers-2.6.28-16-generic                               - Linux kernel headers for version 2.6.28 on x86/x86_64                  
    i   linux-headers-generic                                         - Generic Linux kernel headers                                           
    v   linux-image                                                   -                                                                        
    v   linux-image-2.6                                               -                                                                        
    c   linux-image-2.6.27-11-generic                                 - Linux kernel image for version 2.6.27 on x86/x86_64                    
    c   linux-image-2.6.27-7-generic                                  - Linux kernel image for version 2.6.27 on x86/x86_64

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by tg1w View Post
    Final problem now is that when I'm looking for linux-image packages, I don't find one any more. I have a set of linux-image-2.6.*-generic.

If I try to mark one for installation, I get something like:
    [I]linux-image-2.6.28-15-generic:

Package linux-image-2.6.28-15-generic has no available version, but exists in the database.
    This typically means that the package was mentioned in a dependency and never uploaded, has been obsoleted or is not available with the contents of sources.list
    Hmm. Did you update your package lists before trying that? You probably did... I just want to cover all of the bases.

Beans
    Distro

Hmm. Did you update your package lists before trying that? You probably did... I just want to cover all of the bases.
    Yes, I performed the update (there is a sudo aptitude update in a previous post). ... This should be a basic operation though...

Beans
    Distro

Ah sorry, I missed that. It could be that the cdrom doesn't actually contain an installable kernel package, since it copies over a base system. I'm really shooting in the dark with that explanation.

I'd revert to your original /etc/apt/sources.list and make your goal to get on the internet.

You should be able to plug in a networking cable and get online. If that's an option, I'd try it.

You'd plug it in and do something like:
    Code:
    sudo ifup eth0
    sudo dhclient eth0
    Then test to see if you're online:
    Code:
    ping -c 3 google.com
    You really should be able to get online, and once you're online you should be able to install a kernel.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast