Thread: Ubuntu 9.10 boot problem (may be graphics)

Beans

Ubuntu 9.10 boot problem (may be graphics)

Hello,

I installed Ubuntu 9.10 3 days back and things worked fine. I have dual boot setup and GRUB loads properly.
    Yesterday, I tried upgrading the proprietary nVIDIA 3D graphics drivers from 173 to 185 (recommended). The installation failed and I didn't think much of it.
    When I booted into Ubuntu later, I got a flashing screen asking for my login. This was in the command prompt. So the graphical interface did not show up.
    When I try typing, it sometimes recognizes the keystroke and sometimes does not. So, entering my password is impossible.
    I am a novice about all things Linux so any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Ubuntu 9.10 boot problem (may be graphics)

Could be, I have a nVIDIA GeForce 6 series and originally booted to a white screen. I downloaded the driver from nVIDIA and booted recovery, root prompt. After installing manually, it works fine.
    MCP, A+/Linux+ Certified IT Technician
    System Specs | Dress up your "Super Button" FREE
    "If sometimes you can't be good, then be VERY good at being naughty!"

Beans

Manual install instructions please?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I have the same problem, i have upgraded from the lts version too 9.10 once reinstalling the nvidia drivers i get a flashy screen. but if u drop to a maintenance terminal before and modprobe -i nvidia it boots up correctly into gnome. it starts flashing at the dkms configuration and prevents text input into the system and x server will not start. tried manual listing nvidia in /etc/modules and did not help. any suggestions appears it has to do with module insertion of the nvidia driver. At some point i may do a fresh install and try to see if it is reproducible.