Thread: What software is needed after a mini install?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

What software is needed after a mini install?

so far i have sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg openbox xterm (important things im forgetting) thunar firefox pidgin obmenu obconf
    Registered Linux user number 415252
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."
    Albert Einstein

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Lightbulb Re: What software is needed after a mini install?

ADD
    synaptic - package manager
    software-center - a more "cuddly" package manager
    lxterminal - don't settle for xterm, no copy/paste, no tabs

REPLACE
    xserver-xorg with xorg - xorg is a metapackage that install everything xorg-related
    thunar with pcmanfm - well this one is my opinon. PCManFM is lighter and can provide a desktop. But it doesn't support shared-mime-info version 0.70 (you can downgrade to 0.60 by adding back the jaunty repo of archive.ubuntu.org and then saying force version in synaptic)

thats not all. thats just everthing i could think of. don't flame me for my choices
    The best problem solvers on the Forums aren't always the IT admins or developers. They're often just normal users who are really good at using Google.
    -------------------------------------------
    Linux User Number: 486707 Ubuntu User Number: 26531

Beans

Re: What software is needed after a mini install?

Firstly, shoud use aptitude.

Secondly, should be using the -R argument in aptitude or the --no-recommends argument with apt-get, if your goal is to have a minimal system.

Edit: Should also try xserver-xorg-core and just the drivers you need for your system.