Thread: Motherboard changes..

Beans

Motherboard changes..

Hi all,
    My laptop recently started going crazy, and after a warranty repair, I found out they put a new motherboard in. Windows wanted reactivating, and Ubuntu tried to do some disk scanning, which failed continually. I turned it on today, and it didn't try to scan, but after login screen, just had black with a moveable mouse. Anyone know how to rectify?
    Also, if anyone knows about this, using windows 7, only some websites work using this current business network. At home, all connections are fine. Does anyone know if there is a quick fix to allow all sites to work? Google always works, and so does ubuntuforums ;P
    Thanks for considering,
    Robin

P.S. Laptop is presario v3000.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Motherboard changes..

I swapped the motherboard of my desktop and had the same problem with ubuntu. After the fourth reset, Ubuntu booted fine. So keep trying.

With regard to the websites. Try visiting the sites with an alternative browser. More information (like the error message the browser reports when you unsuccessfully visit the site on your business network) would be helpful.

anewguy is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Wink Re: Motherboard changes..

It may have lost the video driver, or perhaps the video driver that was installed doesn't work with the replacement motherboard. Post the output of

lspci

and

lsusb

Also, double-check under system/administration/hardware drivers and be sure to look to see if there is a restricted driver there and if it is activated.

Dave

Beans

Re: Motherboard changes..

I would choose Recovery Mode from the grub menu and when it's done running you'll get a list of options. It varies by version, but in Karmic:

resume
    clean
    dpkg
    fsck
    grub
    netroot
    root
    xfix

Choose xfix or the equivalent. It will attempt to reconfigure the graphics.