Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Problem connecting wired desktop to Verizon dsl

Beans

Re: Problem connecting wired desktop to Verizon dsl

do you have an im account?

Beans

i have snype account or something

but please email me in my user cp account (my email is available). and I will give you my phone number and my mothers phone number to call. do you live in north america, if so you could give us your phone number and we'll call you and it will only be billed to us (personally, i have verizon phone package where i'm paying to be able to call anyone in north america without being charged by the minute).

Beans

i am curious

i am considering buying the Canocial support to get this resolved.

do you know how much it costs and if they would cover this type of issue [i know on the ubuntu website they said on the record they support only installation support - which we've already installed ubuntu, does that or does not installation support cover support for getting my poor mother connected to the internet?

regardless, if you and i or you and mother can be put in contact with each other some way on the phone [trust me, trying to IM mother will frustrate the hell out of you] then I'd much prefer to speak with you by voice or you speak with her via voice to fix this problem.

thanks so much to you for your kinda help

Beans

This problem was solved below. I want to thank wrgb2 for calling me and my mother/sister to help resolve this problem. Below, you will see the solution. Below, also, is actually a copy and paste to a private message I sent to wrgb2. Marking this thread solved. The lesson and moral of this story is don't ever allow anyone (be it Verizon, Suddenlink, Linksys, etc...) tell you they won't help you because you are using Linux and they don't support it. If you get in contact with the right person (at Verizon, Suddenlin, Linksys, etc...) you can get good help. How do I know? Because my uncle is using a Linksys wireless setup at home and couldn't get his Ubuntu to work with his wireless Linksys hardware. My Uncle was first told on the phone they don't support Linux and only help people that have Windows or Mac. I called back and rose a little hell and was connected with a person that told me without a doubt that Linksys would help me solve the problem and that indeed without a doubt we could use Ubuntu linux with their wireless hardware and make it work.

I switched out the Ubuntu computer mom had with another Ubuntu computer I had at home - we met half way.

That Ubuntu computer also didn't work. So I eliminated the variable that it was the computer.

I called Verizon and raised a little hell and although they had told mom and my sister that they only supported Windows and Mac, the person I raised a little hell with told me there was a special 1800 number for Verizon that supports Linux installs.

I called the special number and these people at Verizon actually understood the problem. They said it was the router. They put me on a 3 way call with my mom/sister and solved the problem using Firefox browser to reprogram (reconfigure) mom's Verizon router.

Bam - it worked!

Mom is so happy now.

Just wanted to share that with you.

mp
    Last edited by mjp29; November 12th, 2009 at 04:13 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12