Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Flash Video Flickering in Karmic?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Flash Video Flickering in Karmic?

Since upgrading to Karmic last week I notice some new issues with Flash video playback.

About: Running Karmic 64-bit on a quad core system with 8 GB of ram. Using Metacity.

Problem: Some sites (NBA.com league pass, Hulu) video playback flickers intermittently, rendering it virtually unwatchable. When watched in full screen the flickering disappears entirely in both cases, it's only there when watching in a window. Other video sites (Youtube) aren't affected.

Watching Hulu videos in a window didn't experience this problem before installing Karmic.

Tried uninstalling and reinstalling Flash in synaptic, didn't help.

Beans

Re: Flash Video Flickering in Karmic?

im using amd64 version of the kernel and the flashplugin-nonfree packadge.

Ive noticed this too, but only on embedded videos. it seems there are some details about the embedded video that flickers in the "background"

Beans

I have been having this same problem too. I am running 32bit ubuntu 9.10 on an AMD64X2 processor with the nvidia drivers on the repos. It happens most often on embedded videos like wWales but the same kind of flickering happens with some flash games.

I tried uninstalling flash and reinstalling adobe-flashplugin but that did nothing. Turning off compiz/desktop effects doesn't help either.

Beans

Hi,

It's a well known problem that flash on Linux performs horribly slow, especially on Atom-based system as the GPU is not used. I don't want to discourage you but there is really no solution other than Adobe to fix Flash on Linux.

If we make this issue big enough, we can gain a higher priority for Adobe to solve this issue. Please go to https://bugs.adobe.com/jira/browse/FP-1692, register and vote for this issue. If we all take 5 minutes to do this, I'm sure we can reach a very high number of votes and let Adobe know Linux is an important community to take into consideration.

Nuno

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nunovi View Post
    Hi,

It's a well known problem that flash on Linux performs horribly slow, especially on Atom-based system as the GPU is not used. I don't want to discourage you but there is really no solution other than Adobe to fix Flash on Linux.
    But if that's true, it doesn't make sense that Flash didn't flicker at all when I was on Jaunty on the same machine, watching the video from the same site.

Doesn't that mean there was changes in Karmic that made Flash act slower?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Same problem guys, since when I upgraded to Karmic have the flash flickering problem when playing in pop out window and the bigger the window the worst the problem. The problem appears to be as described by wWales (details about the embedded video that flickers in the "background")
    Have followed nunovi advise and voted for the issue to be fixed by Adobe on https://bugs.adobe.com/jira/browse/FP-1692.
    How long for a solution? There are so many posts around but so far nothing useful or applicable to my system.

I'm using Flash plugin v. 10,0,42,34 (according to http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/ )
    Ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic Koala)
    Browsers: Firefox and Chrome
    lspci -nn | grep VGA
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: nVidia Corporation G72M [Quadro NVS 110M/GeForce Go 7300] [10de:01d7] (rev a1)

Beans

For what it's worth, I tried the latest prerelease (10,1,51,66), and I still have the flickering problem. .

I feel like this problem is somewhat recent, and didn't happen before the latest flash security update.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

My latest system, Karmic x64 on a Phenom II x4 945 (3.0GHz) with 4 GB DDr3 1600 RAM on Asus M4A78T-E and a nVidia 9500 GT 512 MB card runs Flash and Hulu Desktop fairly well; good enough to watch. But, this eats up to 75% of the CPU time, which is amazingly high usage considering the speed of this system.

Another system I have is not as fast and doesn't work at all well with Flash: Karmic x64 on a Phenom 9600 (2.3 GHz) quad core with 2 GB Ram on Asus M3N78-EM using the built-in GEForce 8300 GPU. It goes right to 100% and isn't viewable. It's not the GPU, either; I tried the 9500 GT card from the above system in this one but that made no difference.

Interestingly, running Flash inside a Windoes 7 x64 VirtualBox with two cores was even worse than the slower Karmic system. Didn't matter whether in Firefox, IE8, or Hulu Desktop. Considering that the VM is not offered any GPU H/W acceleration, I wonder if Windoes has the same problems on low-end non-accelerated boxes? Also makes a case for Adobe not detecting the GPU correctly in Karmic.

Looks like one solution would be brute-force computing power, but come on, Adobe, just fix it like it used to run!

I registered, voted, and commented on this issue at https://bugs.adobe.com/jira/browse/FP-1692

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

hey guys, I found some answers for the flash flickering.

I post my findings on my blog: http://chogydan.blogspot.com/2010/01...tu-karmic.html

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Disabling global tooltips in gconf (as per the previous posts' link) fixed the problem for me.

Thanks!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast