Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Safely Remove Pulseaudio?

Beans

Re: Safely Remove Pulseaudio?

Quote Originally Posted by q.dinar View Post
    this is in 9.04! they say in 9.10 it is easy to switch off one of soundcards from being loaded by pulse.
    If you're using 9.04 you can remove pulse, but if you want to control it do:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install libasound2-plugins padevchooser libsdl1.2debian-pulseaudio
    That'll pull in all the necessary PulseAudio libraries and configuration utilities.

Then you should be able to choose the devices pulse uses in the "Pulseaudio Device Chooser" in the Sound & Video menu.
    This works in Karmic, I'm not sure how you'll fair in Jaunty. I used to just remove Pulseaudio straight away.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hi, I come a bit late to the party !!

First, thanks to #3 & 4. It worked in UbuntuStudio 9.10 Karmic in a spare machine. For me, this implies that:

- I'll be able to setup a friend's pc with UbuntuStudio. The problem was that Pulseaudio broke the sound in musescore, which he (and me for that matter) needs.

- I'll hopefully be able to use ubuntu myself in my main music-production machine, instead of 64studio beta 3. I had to switch because pulse broke compatibility with my (excellent and fully alsa supported) pci soundcard. A hamerfall dsp 9632.

Usually people will have pulse problems similar to the first one of mine. that is, apps problems. I solved these in a less drastic way. If anyone is interested:

Create the file ~/.pulse/client.conf and stuff it with a single line:
    Code:
    autospawn = no
    After a reboot you can run
    Code:
    pulseaudio -k
    anytime you'll do something pulse-problematic, as running musescore is. If you will do something pulse-dependent (ie, ubuntu-pulse-configured), as playing something in totem or streaming a/v in firefox, you can run pulseaudio -D before, to bring again pulse alive.

While this solved mostly the software problems, wasn't so lucky with my hardware problem. Also it is something that I wouldn't ask to do to a non tech musician friend. Facing the multi window Jack is more than enough for him

Anyway, I'll try the method of this thread and report any successes related to my hardware problem.
    Greetings
    Last edited by JC Cheloven; November 19th, 2009 at 09:01 PM.
    What's even more important than free software? - OPEN FORMATS.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

#3/4 worked really well for me, fixed a lot of problem I'd been having. Trouble of course is that I can't re-adjust the sound with the buttons any-more (as forewarned) and this is somewhat annoying since it's a laptop so I can't just turn down the speakers.

So yeah, here's hoping somebody clever will fix it

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by JC Cheloven View Post
    - I'll be able to setup a friend's pc with UbuntuStudio. The problem was that Pulseaudio broke the sound in musescore, which he (and me for that matter) needs.
    One useful command for apps that don't like Pulseaudio like Musescore is pasuspender. The best thing to do is change your launchers to include "pasuspender" before the command to launch the app.
    That way Pulse is suspended once you start that app and is brought back to life once you quit it.
    I use it for Tuxguitar, Wine apps and Musescore at the moment.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Zoot7 View Post
    One useful command for apps that don't like Pulseaudio like Musescore is pasuspender. The best thing to do is change your launchers to include "pasuspender" before the command to launch the app.
    That way Pulse is suspended once you start that app and is brought back to life once you quit it.
    I use it for Tuxguitar, Wine apps and Musescore at the moment.
    handy... so I guess that means we'll have to reinstall it all again then...

edit: very handy in fact - I couldn't use skype without pulseaudio but now I can use certain apps that like alsa

edit 2: I may have spoken too soon... "Spring" (the game) for example, which doesn't play sound properly over pulseaudio, will not play any sound at all if pasuspender is used...
    Last edited by Wilbefast; November 22nd, 2009 at 04:37 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by nullrend View Post
    The above procedure works. I'll just repeat it for extra points, marked up properly.
    Here is what I did to remove pulse audio in Karmic: .... (post #4 in this thread)
    Very good tutorial, it worked for me!
    The problem I have with pulse audio is that it is a huge resource hog. On my socket 939 AMD Athlon64 3200+ CPU pulse was using 10-20+ % of my CPU. Alsa uses minimal CPU by comparison.
    I am guessing that pulse will replace alsa at some point in the future, just as alsa has replaced oss. At present, pulse just uses more system resources without adding any advantages over alsa that I can see or hear. I will stick with alsa until I can demonstrate a clear advantage for using pulse.
    Last edited by tommcd; November 22nd, 2009 at 05:00 PM.
    Registered Linux User #422464 http://linuxcounter.net/
    Use the search engine that respects your privacy rights: https://startpage.com/

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Wilbefast View Post
    edit: very handy in fact - I couldn't use skype without pulseaudio but now I can use certain apps that like alsa
    Yeah the new version of skype doesn't work properly without pulseaudio sadly.
    And ditto having problems with Games.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Zoot7 View Post
    Yeah the new version of skype doesn't work properly without pulseaudio sadly.
    And ditto having problems with Games.
    I don't think that's true, why do You say so? Other sound engines are available once You remove PA.
    Michał Gołębiowski
    Dell Latitude E6500: P8600 | Intel GMA 4500MHD | 15,4'' 1440x900 LED (matte) | 4GiB DDR2 | 233 GiB HDD 7200 rpm (with Free Fall Sensor).
    Jabber ID: mgol /at/ jabster.pl - let me write in within my profile details, please!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mgol View Post
    I don't think that's true, why do You say so? Other sound engines are available once You remove PA.
    I could never get the new version of Skype to play nice with my USB mic minus Pulseaudio.
    Of course Skype 2.0 worked away as happy as Larry with Alsa only.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mgol View Post
    Well, I can hear but can't be heard - there's this weird thing that happens: I try to test the mike on sound-recorder when Skype is running and it doesn't work, then I close Skype and it does: somehow running Skype stops the microphone from working across the board.

Another annoying thing in 9.10 is with sound-recorder actually: constantly asking you if you want to save your file :-S

Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast