Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: printer sharing worked in 9.04 but not 9.10

Beans

Re: printer sharing worked in 9.04 but not 9.10

I had already tried this as well with no luck. Seemed promising, but didn't do the trick.

Beans

Add me to the list. Samba network shares work for me but not the printer. I just get opening on my Samsung clp300 in WinXP. Just upgraded to Samba 3.4.0 and this didn't solve my issue. The printer works on the Ubuntu side.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Same overhere... Bonjour/cups always worked like a charm!

Let us know when a patch is released.

Beans

Same here. I can see the discovered printers but can't print to them.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

This is what finally worked for me. Go to http://localhost:631/ in your web browser and configure your printer there. You will be asked for a username and password - it's the same as your root username and password. Go to the Administration tab and choose Add Printer. There's even a box you can check for sharing your printer on a network, or finding one on your network.

-Robin

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Just wanted to add myself as another person who could print with Avahi in 9.04, and cannot do so in 9.10. My Mac, when trying to print to Ubuntu, says "Processing - "Unable to get printer status (Bad Request)!" and can't print.

I think it originally had a different error message, but there have been a few package changes that haven't fixed the bug (including one I saw today for Avahi), but may have changed something. Regardless, I'd love to hear if anyone finds a fix, or hears that an update is going through.

Thanks,
    Jonathan

Beans

When browisng for the printers in windows, can you see the shared printer?

Beans

Workaround

I have a workaround (for mac clients) for cups issues that doesn't involve samba. I am running Karmic on the server and Snow Leopard on the client: both are on my local network.

First, what I tried that didn't work:

• Redoing the configurations in Menu > System > Administration > Printing
    • Redoing the configurations from a browser at localhost:631. (This would be from the server, not the client, of course.)
    • Making sure the configurations in /etc/cups/cupsd.conf were correct. (As best I can tell.)
    • Installing every update that I got.

What did work:

1. Make sure the printer is properly configured by visiting the cups configuration page on your local machine. eg: go to http://serverName:631/printers/ and select the printer from the list.
    2. You should now be at a page at http://serverName:631/printers/printerName and it should say something like: printerName (Idle, Accepting Jobs, Shared, Server Default) .
    3. Go to the Add Printer window on your Mac client. (Select "Add Printer..." from the printer list in any print window.)
    4. Select the "IP" tab.
    5. For Protocol select "Internet Printing Protocol - IPP" from the drop down.
    6. For the Address enter the host name and port from above. eg: serverName:631 .
    7. For the Queue enter the location of the printer from above. eg: printers/printerName .
    8. For the Name enter whatever you want it to be called. eg: color printer .
    9. For Print Using choose "Select Printer Software..." from the drop down menu and choose whatever driver you are using for the printer on the remote machine. (You can find this listed on the cups printer page.)
    10. Add the printer.
    11. Test and enjoy.

What should work but doesn't. (The issue.):

It is my understanding that the printer to be discovered by default in Mac OS X, and that it should be displayed under "Default" printer tab in the Add Printer window. I have printer sharing turned on in cups (on the server) and all the settings appear to be as they were in Jaunty, when things worked.

As a side note, although I do have samba running and my server shows up in the list I have yet to get printer sharing through samba to actually work (Windows or Mac).
    Last edited by WhyIsThisOpen; November 28th, 2009 at 02:15 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

The above steps worked for me on previous distros - Gutsy, Hardy, Intrepid, Jaunty, etc. but they don't work on Karmic. My Mac returns the following error when I try to add and print with the default Ubuntu printer by the above steps: "Unable to get printer status (Bad Request)!" This error shows when I try to print, to be clear - I can add the printer, and it shows up in the list - it just won't print.

I'm guessing others are having the same issue and that's why we have the thread, though it is interesting that it isn't a universal error.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I was able to get mine to work with a print server and laptop both running Ubuntu 9.10 by doing two things:

1. Went to http://localhost:631 on the print server machine (I think I used a text based browser like "lynx" since the server is command line only) and chose to share all printers and entered the username and password for the administrator on the computer when prompted.

2. On the "client" (laptop, etc.), I went to System -> Administration -> Printing and chose Server -> Settings... from the print menu, then chose "Show Printers shared by other systems." I still wasn't able to search and find the network printer but it showed up in the printers list automatically.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast