Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cannot restore Evolution

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Cannot restore Evolution

Quote Originally Posted by philinux View Post
    The tar file extracts to a folder .evolution so it's only tarring up ~/.evolution anyway.
    It's mostly tarring up .evolution, but not only. First it exports some of your gconf settings (for email accounts, etc.) to xml's. Check inside the backups Evolution generates - there should be a few extra files that aren't in the original ~/.evolution folder: backup-restore-gconf.xml, categories.xml, datetime-formats, etc.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Goodbytes View Post
    Closed those both out, ran Evolution and restored expletive.tar.gz. Tada! Now my email accounts are set up. Extracting the actual mboxes from my i386 backup gives me the mail itself again.

What a pain.
    What's killing me about this is now that I've got my email and accounts running on the amd64 install and Everything's Fine(tm), I went ahead and had Evolution make a backup: Evolution Karmic amd64.tar.gz. Five minutes later I got curious and had Evolution try to restore from the backup that I'd just made. It told me to select a valid backup to restore. Something's really messed up here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

It seems to me that Evolution is prone to throwing a wobbly with Karmic at the moment, earlier on in the day it insisted on passwords for all my mail accounts when I attempted to download my mail and wouldn't accept any of them. Just tried again and it was happy with them this time round. Why I had to type in passwords after using it for a week with no problems I don't know. Roll on the updates!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Goodbytes View Post
    What's killing me about this is now that I've got my email and accounts running on the amd64 install and Everything's Fine(tm), I went ahead and had Evolution make a backup: Evolution Karmic amd64.tar.gz. Five minutes later I got curious and had Evolution try to restore from the backup that I'd just made. It told me to select a valid backup to restore. Something's really messed up here.
    Be aware that there may still be the problem that 32-bit Evolution can only handle a max 2GB individual file size, if you have some files greater than that in your 64-bit archive it may stop a restore on a 32-bit platform.
    Regards, David.
    Please use the Forum search and Wiki search for immediate help
    Please mark your thread as Solved when appropriate
    New to technical forums?: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Beans

Yes this problem is still killing me. My Evolution backup is 6GB uncompressed and 4GB compressed. 9.10 still will not accept the file. Even trying to extract the file with 9.10 I get an error message that the end of the file is missing.

But going back to a 9.04 install everything is fine, I can restore the backup, the very one that 9.10 will not load.

I can confirm that directory location, spaces and file names have no affect on the problem I am encountering. I have 3 years of work emails I want to get loaded.

Please help Evolution peeps.

Matt

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mjones41 View Post
    Yes this problem is still killing me. My Evolution backup is 6GB uncompressed and 4GB compressed. 9.10 still will not accept the file. Even trying to extract the file with 9.10 I get an error message that the end of the file is missing.

But going back to a 9.04 install everything is fine, I can restore the backup, the very one that 9.10 will not load.

I can confirm that directory location, spaces and file names have no affect on the problem I am encountering. I have 3 years of work emails I want to get loaded.

Please help Evolution peeps.

Matt
    i had the same problem. in my case the evolution-backup.tar.gz was on a specific folder i use for all my backups...I just moved the evolution-backup.tar.gz to my Home folder and started the rocovery process after that and it worked....
    good luck

Beans

it seems that theres a bug here. when trying to restore from external ntfs drive he cant restore and when copiyng to the home folder it does....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12