Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Someone Help Me, Please...

Beans

Someone Help Me, Please...

Ok, I'm beginning to feel a bit helpless. There seems to be no OS right for me. I've used Windows for the last few years but after the Abortion known as Windows Vista, I just don't trust them anymore. I tried Ubuntu 9.8 but they just do not have the drivers I need and spontaneously crashes shutting down my PC. I did some PC classes in College but not enough to know the answer to this. Mac is insanely pricey and there coorprate is absolutely garbage. I trust Linux above all but It just doesnt seem to be working for me. Does anyone know an OS, that can support my video games (Counter-Strike, WoW) hold my drivers and so on. Im using an Acer Aspire 5515 laptop.

Thanks
    ~Nathan

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Someone Help Me, Please...

What devices are giving you issues in Linux?
    Locke
    Try Dropbox, it's FREE! (gratis) http://db.tt/J7Sm9iC
    Try Dropbox experimental build updater http://forums.dropbox.com/topic.php?id=12153

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Ubuntu is awesome. Try 9.10, it should all work "out of the box". Ubuntu will let you play Counterstrike (1.6 & Source) and WoW.
    Nick

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

WoW will run using wine on virtually and linux distribution, check http://appdb.winehq.org/ for others. Unfortunately, you are trying to run windows games, of course the easiest way to run them is on Windows and not all of them will work on linux through wine.

You mentioned missing drivers and spontaneous crashes. Do you know which ones are missing?
    Currently Running: Linux Mint 7, Fedora 11, Fedora 12, and Ubuntu 9.10

http://unamanic.witt-family.net

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Locke_99GS View Post
    What devices are giving you issues in Linux?
    +1! If you're able to run any Ubuntu live CD some computer specs would be helpful. From the Live CD you could go to Applications > Accessories > Terminal and then post the output of these commands:

Code:
    lspci | grep VGA
    Code:
    lspci | grep Audio
    Code:
    lspci | grep Ethernet
    Code:
    cat /proc/cpuinfo
    Code:
    cat /proc/meminfo

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    +1! If you're able to run any Ubuntu live CD some computer specs would be helpful. From the Live CD you could go to Applications > Accessories > Terminal and then post the output of these commands:

Code:
    lspci | grep VGA
    Code:
    lspci | grep Audio
    Code:
    lspci | grep Ethernet
    Code:
    cat /proc/cpuinfo
    Code:
    cat /proc/meminfo
    ++1
    Netbook re-mix?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by unamanic View Post
    WoW will run using wine on virtually and linux distribution, check http://appdb.winehq.org/ for others. Unfortunately, you are trying to run windows games, of course the easiest way to run them is on Windows and not all of them will work on linux through wine.

You mentioned missing drivers and spontaneous crashes. Do you know which ones are missing?
    I've used Wine but both Counter-Strike and WoW the text overlaps and I don't think its getting full 32 gfx. I cant get drivers for my graphics. I listed my laptop brand and type to hopefully divulge the specs. The issues I have with the games are because the driver for my GPU is unavailable to me. I read up online about it. Aparantly I would need to revert from 9.8 to like 8.something to get it and when I do its like a 3 page step by step on how to install it. I have no idea why it crashes but I'll be playin a game or whatever and BAM my laptop turns off.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Telling us you have an Acer is just about as helpful as telling us your car is black when it wont turn on. If you dont know your computer specs, then refer to kansasnoob's post to get us the nessicary information. Also, there is no "9.8" version of Ubuntu, so your either running 9.10 or 9.04, or not running ubuntu at all. we would -love- to help you, but your not giving us anything to go on!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

The power? That doesn't sound like a problem with the distro, it could be faulty solder on the power connector, on you battery, anything, and leaving it on your desk running may not cause the crash, but when you are gaming you franticly mash the keyboard and mouse, that causes the failure.
    Last edited by NickJones; November 3rd, 2009 at 08:06 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Godsrycht View Post
    I'll be playin a game or whatever and BAM my laptop turns off.
    In Windows or Linux?
    If it's in Windows you might have a BSoD that you can't see because Windows is set to restart automatically. I'm sorry but I can't remember where it is changed precisely but it is something like Right click "Computer" -> Properties -> Advanced -> Startup and recovery -> Automatically restart something something... and then remove the tick there.
    Great links: Tutorials & Tips Forum - GNOME System Administration Guide - Bash-Scripting Guide
    Remember: Please mark your thread as [ SOLVED ] if you found a working solution!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast