Thread: HELP- I created a second user, now Ubuntu won't boot!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

HELP- I created a second user, now Ubuntu won't boot!

I'm running Ubuntu 9.08

I created a second user, a simple desktop user, simply by using the menu that comes up in the top right corner of the screen. I switched to that user and logged in with the password. When I logged out, the screen went white. After a couple minutes of nothing happening, I hit the restart button on my box, and now Ubuntu won't boot correctly. It goes to the Ubuntu screen with the progress bar, and when the progress bar completes, I get a bunch of messages, including one stating that GNOME failed to initiallize. It then let me log in, and I have a command line, but that's it. So, I figure, the problem started when I created a new user, so I deleted the new user account by temporarily switching to root user and typing:
    userdel -r "username"

Then I shut down the computer and restarted it and I'm having the same problem. Please help me recover my system!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: HELP- I created a second user, now Ubuntu won't boot!

Sorry, I meant 9.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: HELP- I created a second user, now Ubuntu won't boot!

I also tried going into recovery mode and using all of the options available there to repair problems, including updating GRUB. Still won't boot into anything besides the command line.