Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Writnig serial numbers to burnt CD/DVD's

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Writnig serial numbers to burnt CD/DVD's

It's common knowledge that all CD/DVD burners write the serial number of your CD/DVD drive to the blank CD/DVD.

But I also heard somewhere that in addition to that, they burn the serial number of your processor and possibly other computer components as well.

Is that true?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Writnig serial numbers to burnt CD/DVD's

Would this not depend on the Operating System and CD/DVD burning application? If so does this happen with with GNU / Linux and a FLOSS CD/DVD burning application or only with a propriety OS and CD/DVD burning application?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by FineE View Post
    Would this not depend on the Operating System and CD/DVD burning application? If so does this happen with with GNU / Linux and a FLOSS CD/DVD burning application or only with a propriety OS and CD/DVD burning application?
    I would assume it is built into the CD/DVD burner's firmware. So it wouldn't matter what OS/burning app combo you were using.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by blueshiftoverwatch View Post
    I would assume it is built into the CD/DVD burner's firmware. So it wouldn't matter what OS/burning app combo you were using.
    But how would the CD/DVD burner firmware find out the serial number of the processor without the operating system getting involved?

Beans

I flashed my DVD burner with non-proprietary firmware years ago, to obtain some other freedoms. There was never any mention on the firmware sites about the firmware including any ability to burn the source ID onto the media, that I recall.

If there did exist such a system, who keeps track of who bought which burner?

I used to be in IT business, I used to purchase OEM equipment, including optical drives, & then sell them on in a variety of ways. The people that sold to me know nothing about who I sold to, just as the people who sold to them know nothing about me.

I would think that it is far too late to be worrying about this system, if a person is being investigated by any authority with regard to the hardware that created the media in question.
    Last edited by handy; November 3rd, 2009 at 05:00 AM.

Beans

It's common knowledge that all CD/DVD burners write the serial number of your CD/DVD drive to the blank CD/DVD.
    It is? first I've heard of it.
    If you can't be bothered writing coherently, I can't be bothered reading your post.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by handy View Post
    If there did exist such a system, who keeps track of who bought which burner?

I used to be in IT business, I used to purchase OEM equipment, including optical drives, & then sell them on in a variety of ways. The people that sold to me no nothing about who I sold to, just as the people who sold to them no nothing about me.
    I was under the impression that once you bought something on a credit card your purchase is stored in a database belonging to either the retailer or your credit card company (or both) for the rest of eternity.

Beans

I was under the impression that once you bought something on a credit card your purchase is stored in a database belonging to either the retailer or your credit card company (or both) for the rest of eternity.
    Even so, where is registration process for the serial# of the hardware?

When you purchase a product from a supplier with a credit card, it just says the name of the business you paid via the credit card. Very rarely is there any reference to what was actually bought.

As an example: Say I bought a 10 DVD burners, 4 assorted brand motherboards, a variety of RAM sizes & brands varying, a few assorted PSUs & some CPUs, from a company called "ComputerBits", all I'll see in the Mastercard statement is ComputerBits P/L & the date & price. That's it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by handy View Post
    When you purchase a product from a supplier with a credit card, it just says the name of the business you paid via the credit card. Very rarely is there any reference to what was actually bought.
    Even if the credit card company didn't know what you bought the retailer would probaly know everything that you've bought. On Amazon.com you can view every book you've ever purchased. Most companies probably keep the same kinds of lists only they don't allow the users to access it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

+1 I agree with Handy, when I sell someone a cd/dvd burner the only place the serial number gets recorded is on my computer. When buying something with a credit card, the serial number is never a part of the transaction.

Even if your credit card company offers some sort of extended warranty, it is up to you to keep the receipt, as the only thing the credit card company knows about it is that you purchased something.

Instead of relying on others, have a look at your credit card receipt, not the invoice the next time you purchase any electronics.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast