Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: USB printers installation issue on Karmic

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

USB printers installation issue on Karmic

Folks,
    Have you had any issues while trying to install a USB printer on Karmic 64b? For some reasons my daru3 is not able to detect a USB printer (Samsung ML-6060) that was working fine back in Jaunty.

I also tried through CUPS but I never get the USB installation option.

Any thoughts on this?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: USB printers installation issue on Karmic

So, if you plug your printer into the USB port, and then go to System > Admin > Printer, the printer isn't even detected?

Does anything else work in that USB port? (I've been seeing some USB port issues that I've not quite gotten solved yet. Want to make sure that this isn't one of them.)
    To err is human, to forgive is very ... dog-like.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi Thomas,
    Thanks for your reply.

I connected the printer in every USB port on my daru3 and is not being recognized. I used a 9.04 Live CD and it works like a charm.

Something changed in the way Karmic (or the new linux kernel) handles the usb devices.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Could you verify that a different USB device is detected in your Karmic install? Maybe a flash drive or something?
    To err is human, to forgive is very ... dog-like.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by thomasaaron View Post
    Could you verify that a different USB device is detected in your Karmic install? Maybe a flash drive or something?
    It has been verifed already. The following devices worked fine:
    1) USB flash drive
    2) Iphone
    3) External USB HD.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I have the same problem.
    Everything shows up except my brother hl-2140 printer. I also have a thread (with a posting of my lsusb).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

It's just the opposite for me. In Jaunty, my HP Inkjet printer wouldn't work until I downloaded the more recent version of hplip directly from the HP website. Now under Karmic it installed automatically and prints perfectly. (All on a fresh install of Karmic on a PanP4n.)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I think I can answer for both myself and arepaking when I say it's not a driver problem.
    The printer doesn't even get recognized as connected to the USB-plug. It's as if the cable wasn't there. But I have tested the USB-connection in a windows dual-boot and it works perfectly (and I'm still not talking about drivers or printing - just hardware getting recognized as connected).

It is actually very strange.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by arepaking View Post
    Folks,
    Have you had any issues while trying to install a USB printer on Karmic 64b? For some reasons my daru3 is not able to detect a USB printer (Samsung ML-6060) that was working fine back in Jaunty.

I also tried through CUPS but I never get the USB installation option.

Any thoughts on this?

CUPS definitely shows this as a "mostly working" printer. Still, I bet it is just having a bad day.

So to clarify, what happens "exactly" when you goto System>Administration>Printing ?

You are not seeing the printer showing up automatically in there and you are 100% that it is turned on. Don't laugh, I did this to myself yesterday - I totally forgot to turn it on!

If it is not showing up there, before going further, from Applications>Accessories>Terminal , paste in lsusb .

Then copy/paste the entire results back here. All this does is as you stated, shows if the hardware is "physically there". We will get into drivers later. That command will help us determine whether Ubuntu "sees" the printer or not.

As for it being a driver issue, I would not write this off just yet. More than likely a bug, it may be possible to do some stuff manually to work around the issue.
    Last edited by ctsdownloads; November 4th, 2009 at 01:23 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I hope I'm not hijacking anything here. I'm convinced that we have the same problem.

So I will give my lsusb.

Code:
    lars@lars-desktop:~$ lsusb
    Bus 001 Device 006: ID 0499:1011 Yamaha Corp. P-250
    Bus 001 Device 003: ID 05e3:0606 Genesys Logic, Inc. USB 2.0 Hub / D-Link DUB-H4 USB 2.0 Hub
    Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0bc2:3101 Seagate RSS LLC 
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    This is the same with the printer on or off. Strangely it is the only thing that doesn't get recognized. Also it doesn't help to move the printercable to another position, fx. where something else has been recognized. And at the moment it's in the back of the computer, not in a hub (though I've tried that to).

It's not there. I does get recognized (same cable and everything) in my windows dual-boot.

Please arepaking. Tell me if you do any progress. And also tell me if you think my case is not related and I'm hijacking your thread.

Oh and System>Administration>Printing is empty. Very empty.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast