Thread: Globe & Mail - Ubuntu 9.10 First Look

Beans

Talking Globe & Mail - Ubuntu 9.10 First Look

Hello fellow Ubuntu users and hello to Ubuntu developers!

I just wanted to let you know that a major national newspaper in Canada, the Globe and Mail, has published a great formal first look for Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala.

I very occasionally contact them about random things, this is probably my second or third e-mail to them.

The last e-mail I sent to Mr. Snider of Globe and Mail and it was about the new release of Ubuntu, 9.10!

I wanted to e-mail them about this one since 1. I use Ubuntu so I have my own interest in it and 2. I think the impression and reality as well is still that Ubuntu is the best first experience for any one wanting to introduce themselves to Linux.

So what I asked in the mail was this:

Hi Mr. Snider, (Mr. M Snider is Editor of Globe and Mail Technology)

Please do a review of Ubuntu 9.10! Even if only for the awesome new name, Karmic Koala (just joking, but the name is hilarious )!

It would seem nice to fit in with the reviews of the newly released Windows 7.

From what I have heard and read, Ubuntu 9.10 is a strong milestone that shows off what the open source communities are capable of.

I have been using Ubuntu for a while now and I am really excited to upgrade.

I hope the Globe Tech team will try it out and present a review for the completely FREE OS!

Cheers,
    I won't post his response just considering if he might not appreciate it.

What he basically said is that he will find out if it can be accomodated, and he contacted Mrs. L Griener who did the Windows package...

And voila!

Here is a mainstream published first look at Ubuntu 9.10, Karmic Koala, from a recognized newspaper nationally

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle1348084/

So congratulations to the Ubuntu team for getting a first look in a popular and mainstream national publication

A big thank you goes to Mr. Mike Snider and especially Mrs. Lynn Greiner for creating the article

And a big thank you to the developers and community of Ubuntu for working on and allowing this fantastic open source material to continue!
    Last edited by curryking1; November 3rd, 2009 at 12:26 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Globe & Mail - Ubuntu 9.10 First Look

From the article

Let's have a look at what's new with the critter.
    For starters, the installation image is on a Live CD
    Either the reviewer doesn't know <bleep> or he doesn't consider his words carefully enough. Ubuntu has come on live CDs since... hell, when did they start? Was it 6.06?

It's nice to see a positive review in the mainstream press. But they should not be encouraged to make such basic mistakes as this.
    "All people are scum. No matter what they look like." ~ Spider Jerusalem, Transmetropolitan #4

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Always nice to see a good review of Ubuntu, especially in a national newspaper. I like that the reviewer pointed out that you can try Ubuntu without installing it via the Live CD, although she seems to think that this is a new feature when it's actually been around since 4.10.

Ubuntu has come on live CDs since... hell, when did they start? Was it 6.06?
    @t0p: You're almost right; 6.06 was the first version to include the Live CD and the installer on the same disk.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by t0p View Post
    Either the reviewer doesn't know <bleep> or he doesn't consider his words carefully enough. Ubuntu has come on live CDs since... hell, when did they start? Was it 6.06?
    5.04 (the first version I used) had a live disc and a separate install disc. So it's been around for at least five years-ish, and probably for a lot longer than that once you factor in other distros.
    GCS/O d+(-@) s: a-->? C(++) UL P+ L+++@ E@
    W++$ N++ !o K++ w(++) !O M(-) !V PS+(++)
    PE-() Y+ PGP++ t++(+++@)* 5++ X++@ R+++@
    tv+ b++(+++) DI++ D+ G+ e++>++++ h- r y?