Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Ubuntu 9.10 Installation Does Not Detect Hard Drives

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: Ubuntu 9.10 Installation Does Not Detect Hard Drives

sudo apt-get remove dmraid worked for me too! thanks. But now I can't get Grub2 to boot my new install.

This is by far the worst Ubuntu install experience I've had since 7.04

Beans

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Ginsu543 View Post
    I had the same problem until I ran sudo apt-get remove dmraid. I followed these steps:

1) Boot into Ubuntu 9.10 using LiveCD (without installing)
    2) Open Terminal and run sudo apt-get remove dmraid
    3) Start the installer by double-clicking on its icon on the desktop

After that, the installer could see my drives and I was able to install. One more thing, if you install GParted later, it will reinstall dmraid as part of its package. I didn't know that, installed GParted, and then when I rebooted I could no longer access my second SATA drive. When I manually removed dmraid again, everything was normal.
    OK so this did not work for me!!! It said it was a read only version and it could not remove. I can see the drives in Gparted but I can't do anything to them and an fdsik -l does not show anything. Any ideas
    Last edited by zappadragon; February 20th, 2010 at 03:29 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Ginsu543 View Post
    I had the same problem until I ran sudo apt-get remove dmraid. I followed these steps:

1) Boot into Ubuntu 9.10 using LiveCD (without installing)
    2) Open Terminal and run sudo apt-get remove dmraid
    3) Start the installer by double-clicking on its icon on the desktop

After that, the installer could see my drives and I was able to install. One more thing, if you install GParted later, it will reinstall dmraid as part of its package. I didn't know that, installed GParted, and then when I rebooted I could no longer access my second SATA drive. When I manually removed dmraid again, everything was normal.
    Did this exactly, got some file not found errors but the command finished. But installer still can't find my hard drive. Everyone is like wow, just typed the one line and it magically worked. Well not for me. Any other ideas?

EDIT: After all the problems i had installing kubuntu 9.10 i finally got it!!! Since this is such a huge thread, I'll write some stuff here. If someone is having this problem and the sudo command doesn't work... download the alternate (text-based) cd. It recognized my disk for whatever reason. And, continuing on... Make sure to first use the "check disk" option so burn errors are out of the equation. Then, when asked how to partition, choose manual, it's a lot easier to tell what's going on and what you're doing. go to your windows partition(or if you don't have one skip this) and hit enter, then resize. Type a size around 95% probably. Then select the free space that was created and click automatically allocate. Then go to done, and the installation takes 45 minutes or so, and that should be it.
    Last edited by winter123; February 23rd, 2010 at 11:24 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I am also having this problem and, unfortunately, nothing seems to be helping. I'm trying to set up ubuntu on my desktop. It used to run very well on an old PATA drive, but that drive has recently decided after 7 years of service to pursue a career as a doorstop. While it ran, ubuntu never noticed my two SATA drives that house my XP build and storage system. I initially tried to get them to detect but it proved to difficult and I eventually gave up. Now, without the PATA drive, I have no choice.

I'm trying to dual-boot onto the drive that houses XP, a Maxtor 6e040t0, 40 gig SATA drive. When I get to the partitioning stage of setup my drive never shows up to the partitioner. I have tried the following:

-booting with the live CD and removing dmraid, both from terminal and Synaptic. Even after dmraid was removed the drive was not detected and did not show up on GParted.
    -installing off of the text-based cd. Again, I would get all the way to the partitioning phase, but the drive never showed up on the partitioner. EDIT: To clarify, it does not detect anything in the "detect disks" phase, and offers me a list of drivers to download. Since I don't see a driver for my disk I select "continue with no disk drive." When it gets to "partition disks" it can only undo changes it never made or write changes to a disk it doesn't know is there.
    -disconnecting my second drive and trying again. This made absolutely no difference. I have no RAID connection of any kind between the two drives, they run completely independently of one another, but someone recommended it on another page and I gave it a shot.
    -installing other ubuntu builds. I have tried this with 8.10 and 10.04 alpha with identical results. (Side note, the 10.04 alpha problem really troubles me, as it leads one to believe that this problem will not be addressed in 10.04's final release).
    -changing the drive's definition in BIOS. My Mobo (ASUS A8V-XE with Phoenix - AwardBIOS) has three options for SATA controllers: IDE, RAID, and AHCI. When I built the computer it defaulted to IDE, and I never needed to change it until this happened. I've tried all three options, and changing either of these options caused the Windows build to stop working. Admittedly, this is the option I've explored the least, since changing things in BIOS always makes me nervous, and I don't want to start poking around in there unless I have a definite game plan. EDIT: I have gone through all three configurations and turned the SATA controller off and both the LiveCD and the alternate-text, with no change.

So that is the situation. My xubuntu setup on my laptop is still chugging along, but I'd hate to be relegated to XP on my desktop just because my PATA drive died. Any insight anyone can provide into this situation is greatly, greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Last edited by ChrisThompson; February 25th, 2010 at 11:10 PM. Reason: Clarification and update

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Solved the problem! I needed to boot pci=nomsi and then it detected the disks. Here's my detailed post on how to do this.

Beans

I know I'm late to the game on this, but thanks, Chris Thompson. I have the exact same motherboard and was trying to install on a new, never used, fully zeroed out Seagate 250G SATA 2 drive ST3250318AS. I was losing hope until I read your posts 35 & 36. I set pci=nomsi as you did and can see the disks. I'm installing Ubuntu Studio 10.04 (alternate DVD so I can use LVM).

Thanks!
    Last edited by clarktrip1; September 10th, 2010 at 05:38 PM. Reason: add model #

Beans

Fantastic! This solution worked for me. Compaq Presario 5000. (5012US) Ubuntu installers newer than 9.04 would not see the disk, although from a shell fdisk -l /dev/sda would see the disk fine.

Also had this problem with Peppermint OS installers too.

Thanks!

Beans

I had the same problem with ubuntu 11.10 today
    but i couldn't remove dmraid package. the prompt told me that it could not get access to the package db as if another process was using it ... obviously the installer itself

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Following steps worked for me:
    1) list kernel modules for raid support
    lsmod | grep raid
    dm_raid45
    2) and remove them
    modprobe -r dm_raid45

3) go back to the installer screen.
    4) back and next on the installer screen
    and it rescanned my partitions and found my hard drive
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My bios setting for the sata controller was ide (ahci was same problem) - there was a raid option, too - might be another way to fix it by switching sata controller mode to raid.
    Didn't test this strategy tough.

/var/log/syslog had no particular error messages
    There was a message that it did detect a sata raid controller and if i don't like it i should boot with the option 'nodmraid'. This might work, too.

My SATA Controller:
    Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family 4 port SATA IDE Controller (rev 05)
    Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family 2 port SATA IDE Controller (rev 05)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234