Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bought Windows 7 for $40 - already giving me a headache....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Thumbs down Bought Windows 7 for $40 - already giving me a headache....

I run Ubuntu on all of my computers but my brother is just getting into Ubuntu and still dual booting. Mainly because of his Canon printer not working at all in Ubuntu, so I gave this to him to try out.

Anyway, I went onto the Microsoft website and they have the student pricing where you can download Windows 7 Home/Professional for $40CAD ($30 USD) from Digital River. I bought it and it gave me a .exe file to download along with the registration code. WTF? Okay.....so what you have to do is run this .exe file in another version of Windows and it'll download 3 other files which will install Windows 7 for you. Problem is the files they uploaded to the server are corrupt so they wouldn't work anyway......oh Microsoft, why do you do this to me?

Anyway, I just wanted to let people know there is student pricing for Windows 7 if you want to get it cheap and you have a university email address that qualifies. I also wanted to vent a little that Microsoft just cannot make anything easy and simple.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Bought Windows 7 for $40 - already giving me a headache....

/me thinks its likely something is awry.

Is the first download perhaps a download manager that downloads the iso?
    Desktop
    Antec 300 Illusion, Athlon II X4 640, 8GB DDR3 1333, EarthWatts430W, Radeon HD 6670 1GB
    Laptop
    Lenovo Thinkpad Z61T, T7200@2.00GHz, 2GB DDR2, 100gb HD, TPM Encryption

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I somehow doubt the files on Microsoft's server are corrupt. Sounds like a user error.

Good deal with student pricing, though.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickBoyle View Post
    I somehow doubt the files on Microsoft's server are corrupt. Sounds like a user error.

Good deal with student pricing, though.
    Nope, there were some issues with the student upgrade.
    Also i think this be stupid, what if this is your first PC, where are you gonna get windows from to upgrade..
    will it run in wine?
    Approach life & cooking with reckless abandon.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

It sounds like the process started off very quickly. I thought they were verifying enrolment before issuing the software.
    Aspire One D257, 2GB DDR3-1333

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Ya, it's a known problem with the download for Windows 7, my brother called Microsoft and then called Digital River. Digital River was upgrading their servers so they told him to call back in 4 hours for the new download link.

Beans
    Hidden!

I couldn't use the downloaded version because I didn't have Windows. I just used the CD key they give you in the e-mail and borrowed a Windows 7 disk.

You have to install Windows 7 twice to clean install with that upgrade key. Clean install, skip the cd key entry, "upgrade" that new Windows 7 install and enter the key during the upgrading.
    ThinkPad R61 14" | Fedora 14 | Core 2 Duo 2.0Ghz | 4GB DDR2 | 64GB SSD

pwnst*r is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Maheriano View Post
    I run Ubuntu on all of my computers but my brother is just getting into Ubuntu and still dual booting. Mainly because of his Canon printer not working at all in Ubuntu, so I gave this to him to try out.

Anyway, I went onto the Microsoft website and they have the student pricing where you can download Windows 7 Home/Professional for $40CAD ($30 USD) from Digital River. I bought it and it gave me a .exe file to download along with the registration code. WTF? Okay.....so what you have to do is run this .exe file in another version of Windows and it'll download 3 other files which will install Windows 7 for you. Problem is the files they uploaded to the server are corrupt so they wouldn't work anyway......oh Microsoft, why do you do this to me?

Anyway, I just wanted to let people know there is student pricing for Windows 7 if you want to get it cheap and you have a university email address that qualifies. I also wanted to vent a little that Microsoft just cannot make anything easy and simple.
    corrupt? sounds like a connection issue.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by pwnst*r View Post
    corrupt? sounds like a connection issue.
    http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/23/w...king-for-many/

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast