Thread: Galaxy screensaver for 9.10

Beans

Galaxy screensaver for 9.10

Hi

9.04 had possibly my favourite screen saver of all time: the galaxy one where you had a small number of galaxies all spinning away and gravitationally attracting each other before piling into one another and spitting everything everywhere! I love it...
    I was gutted when i upgraded to 9.10 and it was gone!! I searched "screensaver" in synaptic package manager and it wasnt there, any advice to get this screensaver back would be very welcome!

Cheers
    Tim

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Galaxy screensaver for 9.10

Yeah! I miss that too! I've been googling for ages and got nothing! It's gotta be somewhere in synaptic...

Beans

I found the file (screensavers are in /usr/lib/xscreensaver/), and I tried doing what I would do with Microshaft screensavers, fonts, etc. (sudo cp [directory]/galaxy /usr/lib/xscreensaver/galaxy) but to no avail; it won't appear in the screensaver list, and if I try to drag it there it says it does not appear to be a valid screensaver theme. Maybe it needs extra files? This was the best screensaver in existence though; when it wasn't available in 9.10, I considered for a long time reverting to 9.04 simply for that reason. If you do get the galaxy file from 9.04, you can at least run it (in a small window) by double-clicking it in 10.04 (and probably also 9.10). I'm currently working on some other ideas for getting it back. I'll let you know if those get anywhere.

Beans

I got it to work! What one must do is install the appropriate package from this (http://packages.debian.org/unstable/x11/xscreensaver) page (I believe I required this [i386] package) and you may need to also have the galaxy file in /usr/lib/xscreensaver/ (it can be obtained from a 9.04 installation in /usr/lib/xscreensaver/ or here (http://tbear2500.x10hosting.com/other/galaxy). You will need to use sudo to copy it, but that's not a big deal. If you have a problem with working with terminal, you can even just run sudo nautilus and drag-and-drop the file. Once you do this, under System->Preferences you will see two screensaver options. I believe you want the first one, but use whichever looks different from Ubuntu's original screensaver dialog.