Page 8 of 30 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Install Fuppes on Ubuntu 9.10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: HOWTO: Install Fuppes on Ubuntu 9.10

Quote Originally Posted by reddevil2064 View Post
    Have you set the permissions on the folder that contains your database? As a test I set mine to 777 then slowly cranked them down to a safe level. My music database is well over 2000 files and I had no issues with my fuppes seg faulting. Hopefully that helps!
    I have no clue how my persmissions are currently set on the database (still @work). I'll check it later this evening. However, as it runs for a certain time and adds about 1600 files, I doubt that it's a permission issue. If permissions were wrong, then it should already get stuck at the first item to add, shouldn't it?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rizman View Post
    I have no clue how my persmissions are currently set on the database (still @work). I'll check it later this evening. However, as it runs for a certain time and adds about 1600 files, I doubt that it's a permission issue. If permissions were wrong, then it should already get stuck at the first item to add, shouldn't it?
    Possibly, all issues I had with adding large numbers of files were cleared up with a change in permissions on the folder holding my database though. Not sure if there are some other forces at work here. Maybe shnap can shed some light on this.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Lightbulb Re: HOWTO: Install Fuppes on Ubuntu 9.10

I agree that permissions should not be an issue. Al that should matter is that there is +rw access for the fuppes user all the way down the directory tree to (and including) the fuppes.db file.

As for having database issues, we recently had an issue with the recreation of the database causing a segfault, it happened on my machine too on svn653. I believe that Ulrich fixed it in svn654 but nothing beats testing it out (though the problem is not occurring for me anymore).

As for the size of the database becoming an issue, that usually happens at around 7000+ items and I'm looking at ways to fix that (it's an the TODO list already). But for 3000 items the database should handle that just fine, maybe it'll be a little slow rebuilding, it but it should not segfault.

If the problem persists once you are on the latest svn then please let me know. I'll be happy to help.
    (Even better, if you know how to use gdb you could try and pinpoint it for us, but maybe I'm getting ahead of myself)
    "What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know, it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain

Beans
    Distro

Unfortunately, I didn't have the time to test your suggestions yesterday evening. I'll have to wait until tonight.

@Shhnap: If memory serves me well, I believe I'm running SVN 654, and still the rebuild is segfaulting. I haven't used gdb as I never developed anything on Linux/Unix. However, I've been a profesionnal .NET developer for about 4 years and currently I'm still doing some things here and there. So I'm not unfamiliar with debugging. I guess that I should be able (after a quick gdb tutorial) to figure out how to use it.
    I'm running Ubuntu server, so no GUI for me, but I can handle the console

Speaking of Ubuntu server: That wouldn't be an issue for fuppes? I mean, fuppes being picky because it ain't running on a desktop edition? Again, I'm not that familiar with Linux architecture, but if I get it right, the base OS (like kernel etc...) is the same for all Ubuntu versions, it's just the installed packages which change, right?

Well anyway, I'll report back if I get any results. In the meantime, maybe someone can give me some hints on how to start with gdb? Maybe there is a fuppes log which I could send th you Shhnap?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Lightbulb Re: HOWTO: Install Fuppes on Ubuntu 9.10

If memory serves me well, I believe I'm running SVN 654, and still the rebuild is segfaulting. I haven't used gdb as I never developed anything on Linux/Unix. However, I've been a profesionnal .NET developer for about 4 years and currently I'm still doing some things here and there. So I'm not unfamiliar with debugging. I guess that I should be able (after a quick gdb tutorial) to figure out how to use it.
    I'm running Ubuntu server, so no GUI for me, but I can handle the console
    I have confidence that you can learn gdb fairly quickly. It's an awesome tool and there are plenty of tutorials around. Since your problem is a segfault why not try this tutorial: http://www.unknownroad.com/rtfm/gdbtut/gdbsegfault.html

Speaking of Ubuntu server: That wouldn't be an issue for fuppes? I mean, fuppes being picky because it ain't running on a desktop edition? Again, I'm not that familiar with Linux architecture, but if I get it right, the base OS (like kernel etc...) is the same for all Ubuntu versions, it's just the installed packages which change, right?
    I have a few points saying why this should not be an issue:
    1. You are correct as far as I know, the only differences bettween the Server and Desktop editions of Ubuntu are the packages installed.
    2. I am running Ubuntu Server and fuppes works very well on it.
    3. Fuppes also works on gentoo, bsd, fedora and even windows. Compared to those differences the difference bettween Ubuntu Server and Desktop editions would be minimal.

In conclusion I believe that you are very Unlikely to come across a bug caused by the difference.

Well anyway, I'll report back if I get any results. In the meantime, maybe someone can give me some hints on how to start with gdb? Maybe there is a fuppes log which I could send th you Shhnap?
    My suggestion would be to:

The Reporting Bugs is really the instructions that anybody with a fuppes bug should follow; it will even show you how to make a fuppes log file.

I hope that helps you and anyone with a bug with fuppes, and I'd be interested to see any gdb output.
    "What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know, it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain

Beans

Can anyone give me instructions on how to remove everything that has to do with fuppes (all installations). I am quite the n00b, and tried installing using a tutorial I found. That didn't work, so I used another, etc. When I finally found this one, I got it to work for a few hours, but when I tried using the wiki tutorial to switch over to init.d it stopped reading the db (http and upnp works, but no files show up).

I am thinking that the various "fuppes" and ".fuppes" folders I have on my machine are creating conflicts and not updating the proper db files. I think it would be easier to take everything out, and start from scratch rather than track down what is actually happening (unless someone could give me instructions on where to go from here).

Thanks in advance!

Regards,

David

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I'll give you some help in private chat but my essential message is that everything to do with fuppes should contain fuppes. Therefore, in order to remove it all, all you need to do is run:

Code:
    sudo make uninstall
    find ~/ -name "fuppes" -exec rm -f {} \;
    WARNING: Be really careful with the above command because it will delete stuff since it contains an 'rm'

Maybe do this first to see what you will delete:
    Code:
    find ~/ -name "fuppes"

Beans

Hi,

i installed fuppes like it was shown here.
    Still, i have some questions.

1) i got this in the terminal. Not sure what to make of it.
    Code:
    :1: namespace error : xmlns:ms: ' urn:microsoft-com:wmc-1-0' is not a valid URI
    ot xmlns="urn:schemas-upnp-org:device-1-0" xmlns:ms=" urn:microsoft-com:wmc-1-0"
    2) this shows up also in the terminal
    Code:
    [NULL @ 0x2aa14e0]Invalid and inefficient vfw-avi packed B frames detected
    and
    Code:
    TagLib: MPEG::Header::parse() -- Invalid sample rate.
    and last, the content will be available once i make the virtual container. Because it does not show up so far.

Ok, other than that it runs already and i watch the status
    OpenSuse 11.3(64bit)+KDE 4.4.4+E8500+4GB+900GB HD+NVidia GT880 1GB
    -=2600=-
    My Testimonial

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by yester64 View Post
    1) i got this in the terminal. Not sure what to make of it.
    Code:
    :1: namespace error : xmlns:ms: ' urn:microsoft-com:wmc-1-0' is not a valid URI
    ot xmlns="urn:schemas-upnp-org:device-1-0" xmlns:ms=" urn:microsoft-com:wmc-1-0"
    I am getting this same error. Shhnap is helping me track this down in private chat, but I believe that everything worked fine, even with this error.

Quote Originally Posted by yester64 View Post
    2) this shows up also in the terminal
    Code:
    [NULL @ 0x2aa14e0]Invalid and inefficient vfw-avi packed B frames detected
    and
    Code:
    TagLib: MPEG::Header::parse() -- Invalid sample rate.
    This is also the message I get as my db was populated. I do specifically remember these same occurrences on a prior install which DID work, so I am sure this is nothing to worry about.

David

Beans
    Distro

@Shhnap:
    I followed your link for gdb and was able to figure out where the error is happening. Though I haven't had the time to check the source. Currently, my internet connection is broken at home, so I can't post a bug on sourceforge from there and somehow at work I'm not able to log into sourceforge. Therefore, I'll have to post the gdb output screenshots here.
    I hope they'll be usefull.

Here is the gdb output just after the segfault.
    http://i765.photobucket.com/albums/x.../Segfault1.jpg

Here is the output of all the available frames after a backtrace
    http://i765.photobucket.com/albums/x.../Segfault2.jpg

As a reminder: The segfault occurs when I rebuild/update the database. What I noticed yesterday is that it actually finishes (at least I think) the database population. Before the segfault there is always a message which gets output to the console: "[DONE] read shared directories" So my guess is that it actually does finish the process and segfaults afterwards.

@yester64: I also get A LOT of those messages. No idea if that is related to my other problem.

Page 8 of 30 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast