Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strange JAVA compiling problem on new Karmic install

Beans

Strange JAVA compiling problem on new Karmic install

Hello,

I'm having an extremely strange problem on the new install of Karmic Koala on my desktop machine. My laptop machine, also running Karmic (but an alpha version) doesn't have the same problem, and I simply cannot figure out why.

I'm trying to compile my Java programs. They utilize the Java Open GL (JOGL) libraries to render graphics in 3D (a whole 'nother problem I'm having in Ubuntu).

They won't compile, but here's what's totally confusing. I set my .bashrc file just exactly the same way on my desktop as on my laptop, to include the JOGL files that I need in the compile, but when I go to compile, I get all of the error messages from the compiler indicating that it can't find the class files.

I'm no Java newbie (been coding in Java for 10 years) and I've seen this message and know what it means, but I cannot figure out WHY Java can't find these classes.

I've got my JOGL classes loaded in a directory: /home/kirk/jogl111a

The files are in the "lib" directory: /home/kirk/jogl111a/lib

So my .bashrc file reads like this:

CLASSPATH=$CLASSPATH:/home/kirk/jogl111a/lib/jogl.jar:/home/kirk/jogl111a/lib/gluegen-rt.jar

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/home/kirk/jogl111a/lib/

When I query the CLASSPATH and the LD_LIBRARY_PATH, I get this:

kirk@HPdesktop:~$ echo $CLASSPATH
    :/home/kirk/jogl111a/lib/jogl.jar:/home/kirk/jogl111a/lib/gluegen-rt.jar

and

kirk@HPdesktop:~$ echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH
    /opt/intel/Compiler/11.1/046/lib/ia32:/opt/intel/Compiler/11.1/046/mkl/lib/32:/home/kirk/jogl111a/lib/

which seem to indicate that the necessary .jar files are in the classpath, but when I compile, it acts as if they are not there. Any ideas why this doesn't work, and why the EXACT SAME code compiles fine on my other machine?

Beans

Re: Strange JAVA compiling problem on new Karmic install

Try removing $CLASSPATH in
    Code:
    CLASSPATH=$CLASSPATH:/home/kirk/jogl111a/lib/jogl.jar:/home/kirk/jogl111a/lib/gluegen-rt.jar
    The colon at the front of your CLASSPATH is causing trouble. I ran into this exact issue the other day, and that solved it for me.

Beans

Any suggestion for a better CLASSPATH line in .bashrc?

Running "echo $CLASSPATH" on the other machine (the one that works) gives:

.:/home/kirk/jogl111a/lib/jogl.jar:/home/kirk/jogl111a/lib/gluegen-rt.jar

it's a very small difference (the period at the beginning) but I wonder if it might be important

Beans

I removed CLASSPATH and got this on a query:

Code:
    kirk@HPdesktop:~/java$ echo $CLASSPATH
    /home/kirk/jogl111a/lib/jogl.jar:/home/kirk/jogl111a/lib/gluegen-rt.jar
    But the same problem remains. Do I need to reboot or anything like that?

Beans

You shouldn't need a reboot. I'm just stabbing in the dark here, but try setting your CLASSPATH=".:/home/kirk/jogl111a/lib/jogl.jar:/home/kirk/jogl111a/lib/gluegen-rt.jar" That little period, which stands for your current working directory, could solve your problem if the classes it can't find are in the same directory that you're in when you issue your compile command. I dunno what else to recommend w/o more info like compiler errors.

Beans

Thanks Terry, I tried what you said but it didn't work:

Code:
    kirk@HPdesktop:~/java$ echo $CLASSPATH
    .:/home/kirk/jogl111a/lib/jogl.jar:/home/kirk/jogl111a/lib/gluegen-rt.jar
    The compiler errors are thus:

Code:
    LHRSystemModel.java:702: cannot find symbol
    symbol  : method glColor3f(float,float,float)
              gl.glColor3f(1.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f);
    A hundred errors just like that, all looking for the "javax.media.opengl.GL" interface that lives in the jogl.jar file. I know it's there, I checked, and the same program compiles and runs fine on my laptop that also has the same commands in the .bashrc file and also runs Karmic Koala, which is why I'm so utterly confused as to why this is happening.

I somehow cannot convince this computer to go look in the jogl.jar file that lives in the directory I tell it and use it for compilation.

Strangely, when I run the "javac" command like this:

Code:
    javac -classpath /home/kirk/jogl111a/lib/jogl.jar;/home/kirk/java LHRDesign.java
    it finds the jogl.jar files, but says:

Code:
    javac: no source files
    Usage: javac <options> <source files>
    use -help for a list of possible options
    bash: /home/kirk/java: is a directory
    Last edited by kfsorensen; November 3rd, 2009 at 04:23 AM.

Beans

Very strange - is there ANY chance the copies of those 2 .jar files don't contain the necessary .class files on that particular machine?

Just taking a stab in the dark...

Beans

Nope, I checked. They're in there. Sometimes the compiler finds them when I embed the classpath statement in the javac command, but then it can't find the rest of the class files that the rest of program uses.

Beans

bash: /home/kirk/java: is a directory

You have a semicolon in your classpath instead of a colon. Change that semicolon to a colon and retry, but I don't see how setting it there will work any better than the environment variable. Stranger things have happened I guess.

I'm not exactly sure how this library works, but I'm assuming it uses JNI to interface with libGL.so? Did you build this java library on that machine, or just copy it over from your other machine? I'm wondering if it's having trouble w/ the JNI stuff or maybe not finding the opengl libraries. It should be finding the native libs because you did set your LD_LIBRARY_PATH though.

If you ever do find a solution to this, be sure to post it. Hopefully it's just some silly mistake, but it sure is frustrating.

Beans

Could possibly 'strace' be of help? You should be able to see what files it tries to open. Maybe the pattern is different on the two machines in some interesting way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast