Thread: Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Beans

Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Hello everyone!

Excuse me for this small rant... Maybe someone can calm me down with some words of wisdom (or a baseball bat).

Before deciding to move on from v9.04 to 9.10 (clean install), I was prepared for Karmic being a lack-luster release. It was reported to be more beneficial for users with their heads in the cloud (cloud computing).

I can't believe how much I dislike this update. I'm tempted to upgrade back to v8.

For those that have no need for cloud computing, you're better off sitting this upgrade out, IMHO.

v9.04 was better. I felt v8.04 or v8.10 were the last best versions to graced our processors.

I've encountered numerous problems. I've experienced kernel errors after suspending, the irreversible loss of the indicator applets, audio glitches (which I think I can fix), and more.

I also tried Kubuntu for my first time, and realized that it was not ready for me - not even close. I never could get Kubuntu to see my Windows shares.

Maybe my bar is set too high, I don't know, but I expected to be indifferent with the 9.10 update. I knew I wasn't going to be impressed, but I wasn't prepared for the disappointment.

I still remember my introduction to Ubuntu 6.04 - man, that was totally enjoyable. I guess the first is always the best

The new notification system introduced I think in v9.04.... I just want to cut it out with a spoon. Why? Because it hurts more! I have to say it is one of the most annoying features I've ever encountered. Can't click it - it goes all transparent and click-through. Maybe I'm missing something? Notify me, don't annoy me.

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Well, it's been nearly a week since my initial experience with Ububtu 9.10.

With the exception of a few issues, it's working well on my Acer Aspire 3624.

The initial frustration is gone. I still don't think I'd recommend this version for the average Joe or Sheila.

I'm already looking forward to the next version. Hopefully we'll see improvements in areas like the annoying notification system (it needs to be user-configurable, so I can shut it the hell off, add close buttons, etc.), and a truly glitch-free audio experience - at least en-par with the Amiga I sold back in 2001.

If the name for v10.04 hasn't been decided yet, I recommend considering "Leaping Lemming".

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

Beans

Exclamation Re: Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Yup the sound is broken again I really don't like the sound to cut out when I am playing Glest or x3 reunion by LGP. The Ubuntu Software Center is stripped down from the good old add remove days I kind of liked seeing how much was left to download and the speed of my download. The ctrl alt backspace is still disabled by default.
    What's next?? How about a damn ribbon bar and a quadruple prompt to ask if I am really sure I want to shut down my computer.
    There is a reason people are leaving M$ but this isn't it!!
    Why is Qcad missing from the Ubuntu Software Center??
    Any one know how well the Mac OS works maybe I will try that next.