Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need a new mobile phone

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Need a new mobile phone

Quote Originally Posted by insane_alien View Post
    i need a new phone, i'm not upto date on what phones are good (my knowledge is from circa 2001#)

any suggestions. if its somewhat linux compatible that would be a bonus but i'm not expecting miracles.

edit: oh yeah, away and boil yer heid to anybody who suggests an iphone.
    HTC Hero uses Linux as it's OS specifically the Google Android OS, it is completely Linux compatible and not the horrid iPhone!
    "Mind what you have learned. Save you it can." ~ Yoda

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by pwnst*r View Post
    n900 or Droid (con = droid no multitouch)
    Droid isn't available anywhere outside US (or at least not in Europe because there are no CDMA-networks here, probably not anywhere else either as US is pretty much the only place with CDMA-networks...) because it is a CDMA-phone. GSM-version of the Droid is called Milestone and it has multitouch. I would still choose N900. Android might be "sexy" thing (especially in the US) atm. but it really doesn't have any features that would make it better platform than Maemo (unless you're a Google fan and want to have Google all over your phone).

And Android has Linux kernel yes, but even the kernel developers have apparently said that from the kernel point of view it'd totally same if Android would have Windows kernel i.e. it doesn't benefit the kernel in any way. Maemo on the other hand is basically normal Linux distribution and ~all work in Maemo can go upstream. So basically by buying Maemo phone you're also giving money to Linux/Gnome/KDE/PulseAudio/GStreamer/X.org/etc. development.
    Vera! Vera! What has become of you?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 15.10 Wily Werewolf

if you want it to run linux so that you can have complete control of the phone, and install anything you want on it, then it should probably be an openmoko.

make sure you get an A7 revision, and the older ones had some hardware issues. when you get it you will probably want to flash a newer firmware onto it, eg SHR.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

If price is a concern, then look at the Nokia E63. It runs Symbian which is now open-source I believe, and although the interface is clunky the phone is cheap, has an excellent keyboard and a lot of features that you otherwise don't get for the price (3G, Wifi, Opera Mini available, Bluetooth, push e-mail, 3.5mm headphone jack, audio/video playback and applications store).

I paid $249 (Australian money) for mine, including a 1 gig Micro-SD card. It's locked to the carrier I use, but unlocked versions are available for less than $50 more.

The E71 is the same phone but thinner, lighter, has a video conferencing camera and GPS; a bit more expensive though and not as easy to come by. By many accounts it's a Blackberry-killer.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

i've had my HTC Magic for a few weeks now and i'm in love with it......sexy white and Android is brilliant
    ======================================
    Explosion at pie factory in Huddersfield.
    3.14159265 confirmed dead !!
    ======================================

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I'm very happy with my HTC Hero. I recommend it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by pwnst*r View Post
    n900 or Droid (con = droid no multitouch)
    Apparently the European version will have multi-touch and be called the Milestone

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2009/11...ilestone_near/
    Currently Watching - Fringe, How I Met Your Mother, Big Bang Theory, V, Flashforward, SGU, Lost + Dr Who

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

so i ended up with a samsung s something or other. the ones suggested either required a contract or were pretty pricy.

seems to work fine anyway.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by insane_alien View Post
    so i ended up with a samsung s something or other. the ones suggested either required a contract or were pretty pricy.

seems to work fine anyway.
    Probably the best bet at the moment. To anyone else who'd like advice: I'd advise buying a "dumbphone" for now, and wait for the good smartphones to come down in price.

Right now I'm using a 3G "dumbphone" - the Sony Ericsson K800i. I can use it as a modem at 3G speeds, I can transfer files to/from Ubuntu just fine. So it's an excellent short term solution.

In the long term, I'm going to wait for the current HTC Android phones to come down in price. I think the Hero is massively overpriced at the moment. But next year it will be available for less than half its current price; at which point it will represent good value.
    "All people are scum. No matter what they look like." ~ Spider Jerusalem, Transmetropolitan #4

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Samsung E1100, £5 at Carphonewarehouse.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast