Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: volume control weirdness

Beans

volume control weirdness

ive got a problem with the karmic volume control, its impossible to get the volume at the level i want, i can only choose between no sound and superloud. if i set thte output to 23% its very loud, and above 23% even louder naturally, but at 22% and below the sound is off

any ideas?

Beans

Re: volume control weirdness

Same thing here (9.10 fresh install on Dell Inspiron 1501).
    I use the Fn-keys to control the volume.
    On the first 3 lower levels the sound seems to be disabled but from level 4 (and of course above) sounds comes out, but much too load.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I had the same problem, and after several hours of googling, this fixed it:

First, open a root browser (gksu nautilus) and navigate to /usr/share/pulseaudio/alsa-mixer/paths/
    Then open all the analog-output.conf* files in gedit. As far as I could see only the first two (analog-output.conf and analog-output.conf.common for me) needed to be changed, but I did it for all the analog-output files just in case.

Anyway, hit ctrl + H (Replace) in gedit and replace all instances of 'volume = merge' with 'volume = ignore' (without the quotes). Do this for each output file. (Note that I did so many X restarts and regular reboots trying to get this fixed that I don't really remember when and where it was actually necessary, so feel free to throw one in here if you want )

Next, in a terminal type alsamixer to bring up the volume controls and mess with the levels until you find what sounds best (up/down arrows to adjust, left/right to navigate in case anyone didn't know), I think it's best to leave Master at 100, and just adjust the PCM and LFE (that one might be system specific, not sure, still sorta new at this stuff lol). Master at 100, PCM at 90 and LFE at 74 had no distortion or tinnyness for me so I left it at that.

Might need a reboot but you should be able to use your regular volume controls now without pulseaudio randomly jacking up your volume

Credit for the fix goes to Daniel Chen at https://launchpad.net/~crimsun. Just wish it was easier to find lol. Good Luck!

Also, if your having the problem where your sound starts out muted like I was, do the replace thing again but this time replace 'switch = mute' with 'switch = on'.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Thanks Kashkah, I might try that (I have the same problem), but I'm concerned - are we losing some functionality by changing merge to ignore?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I could be wrong, but as I understood it the merge refers to pulseaudio applying its settings to alsamixer or whatever settings it uses, as changing the volume in the gnome panel with alsamixer open shows. So unless it has some other function i'm not aware of it shouldn't affect anything.

Also worth noting, the fix came from an Ubuntu Audio Development Team member and was posted in the bug report, so it should be safe.
    Last edited by Kushkah; November 2nd, 2009 at 08:38 PM. Reason: typo

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Ah, groovy. Got the link for the bug report?

Beans

thanks, ill try this a bit later (watching a movie on the computer right now) or tomorrow and report back

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Beans

I've had nothing but weirdness with karmic audio. Right now it seems to be locked and not spontaneously changing if I adjust the volume, but regardless ..

alsamixer .. set correct volumes for your tastes

sudo alsactl store .. to save those settings

sudo alsactl restore .. to restore your saved settings from asound.state, should carry over through reboots.

reboot .. all volume controls whacked out again, asound.state rewritten, working levels gone. Touch anything in sound settings, volume weirdness returns.

With the changes to the files in /usr/share/pulseaudio/alsa-mixer/paths I'm raising and lowering volume from the panel again and my alsa settings have lasted through a couple of reboots.

For the record, my weirdness was -

2 channel audio source, analog stereo setting, plays out of 5 channels. Mute the center channel and all audio mutes, mute LFE, all audio mutes (these 2 need to be a 0 for me to get left,right only). Set working levels in alsamixer, good 2 channel playback, touch teh volume control and all 5 speakers are on again.

I know it's in the device mapping and I know that my card is being mis-detected as an ALC1200 when in reality it's an ALC888 (per all previous versions of ubuntu + windows realtek info).
    Desktop - Q6600-8GB DDR2-8800GTS(G92)-2xDVDRW-2x500gb hdd-1TB raid0-12.04 x64-Win 7 x64
    Server -Xeon E3-1230-16GB DDR3-120GB SATAIII SSD-1TB Raid0-12.04lts server hosting 6x vms
    Supermicro SYS-5015A-4GB DDR3-60GB SATAIII SSD-pfSense 2.01 64bit

Beans

Question Re: volume control weirdness

Similar problem here but proposed solution (replacing "merge" with "ignore") doesn't work for me.

In my case the only thing volume control slider can do is muting the sound when it's all the way on the left. Any other position (from 1 to 100 %) the sound is at it's full loudness. At the same time Rhythmbox and Totem control volume perfectly.

Any ideas?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast