Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: volume control weirdness

Beans

Re: volume control weirdness

Quote Originally Posted by cyprys View Post
    Similar problem here but proposed solution (replacing "merge" with "ignore") doesn't work for me.

In my case the only thing volume control slider can do is muting the sound when it's all the way on the left. Any other position (from 1 to 100 %) the sound is at it's full loudness. At the same time Rhythmbox and Totem control volume perfectly.

Any ideas?

I had to change the "merge" option to ignore in ALL of the output files to make it seem to act right (so far OK, hoping it sticks), run alsamixer to set my levels and reboot
    Desktop - Q6600-8GB DDR2-8800GTS(G92)-2xDVDRW-2x500gb hdd-1TB raid0-12.04 x64-Win 7 x64
    Server -Xeon E3-1230-16GB DDR3-120GB SATAIII SSD-1TB Raid0-12.04lts server hosting 6x vms
    Supermicro SYS-5015A-4GB DDR3-60GB SATAIII SSD-pfSense 2.01 64bit

Beans

Thanks Kashkah. I've followed your instructions and the volume manager behaves normally now.

Beans

Exclamation Re: volume control weirdness

Quote Originally Posted by seamuso View Post
    (...) run alsamixer to set my levels and reboot
    Also, after the most default upgrade I can think of, the alsamixer doesn't work:
    Code:
    alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such file or directory
    Last edited by cyprys; January 2nd, 2010 at 08:10 PM.

Beans

Kushkah
    that worked for me, thanks a lot. didnt test extensively cos im off to bed but as far as i can tell its back to how it was in jaunty

Beans

Just wanted to throw a question into the thread.

After upgrading to Karmic, my audio has been working fine except for one oddity: the main volume control no longer works at low levels. I guess that's not too clear. What I mean is that once I lower the volume to a few notches above 0% (say 12%) it mutes, whereas before it would get lower and lower and only mute at 0%. So when I get down to 12% volume everything goes mute, and I no longer have the ability to adjust it at those low levels.

Anyone get this as well, and did this thread help fix it?

EDIT: Doh! I obviously skimmed the thread too quickly, as it addresses this very problem....

Excuse my redundancy.
    Last edited by monkeyKata; November 2nd, 2009 at 11:25 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Glad to see everyone's getting it working

Quote Originally Posted by cyprys View Post
    Also, after the most default upgrade I can think of alsamixer doesn't work:
    Code:
    alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such file or directory
    Make sure your user is in both the plugdev and audio groups ( System > Administration > Users and Groups ). Otherwise you might have to reinstall alsa.
    Last edited by Kushkah; November 3rd, 2009 at 12:10 AM. Reason: I can't type today lol

Beans

Hey Kushkah.

So I changed those 'volume = merge' entries to 'volume = ignore' as you suggested, but now things seem worse.

If I try to adjust the volume in Rhythmbox (not the master but it's own volume control) the program crashes. Also my overall volume output is much much quieter.

I'm not sure what the deal is.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Did you adjust your PCM volume in alsamixer? Mine had to be pretty high to get much more than a whisper.

I'm not having any problems with Rhythmbox though, could you adjust the volume ok before you made the changes?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by iamnotthemessiah View Post
    ive got a problem with the karmic volume control, its impossible to get the volume at the level i want, i can only choose between no sound and superloud. if i set thte output to 23% its very loud, and above 23% even louder naturally, but at 22% and below the sound is off

any ideas?
    Weird man, I have the exact same problem, pretty irritating.

Beans

This. First result is a forum post about this very problem, in it is a link to the bug report with the solution. Just sayin..

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast