View Poll Results: Which of these 3 laptops?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • ASUS G Series G51J-A1

4 50.00%
  • HP ENVY 15-1050CA

3 37.50%
  • HP Pavilion DV7-3080CA

1 12.50%

Thread: Help Choosing Between Laptops

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Help Choosing Between Laptops

Hello, I currently have 3 desktops.
    An Core i7 rig, AMD Phenom rig and an old dual core setup.
    I would like to purchase a laptop.
    I have chosen three different laptops to decide from.
    http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...2418&sku=45508
    My first choice is the ASUS G Series G51J-A1.
    It has the best graphics out of the three, has a slightly larger hard disk but has 2GB less memory. Also warranty is better.
    My second choice is the HP ENVY 15-1050CA
    Future Shop: Computers: Laptops: HP 15.6" Intel Core i7-720QM Processor 1.60GHz Laptop (15-1050CA)
    It is far more expensive but is lighter by 1KG and has quite good graphics but by ATI instead, second best in graphics, wins because of the smaller screen size and the wait in this department.
    My last choice is the HP Pavilion DV7-3080CA
    http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=45...P%20ConsumerIt is the cheapest. Also has 6GB of memory. It has the largest screen of all three but it is not that much heavier than the ASUS.

Any help deciding between these three would be appreciated.
    I do like the look of the HP ENVY and the keyboard but is it worth that much more? And I do like how it is lighter... but that much more?
    Last edited by Vakman; November 1st, 2009 at 09:12 AM.

Beans

Wink Re: Help Choosing Between Laptops

Choose which ever has a proven and supported Ubuntu graphic card support, since that is the hardest to get/fix/make it work

http://www.notebookcheck.net list all graphic cards for laptops in order just type in the name of a card any card and you can just look to the right and see each card in order and under each card what score they got

So far the best card made for a laptop is the 280M Nvidia card

The ASUS G Series G51J-A1 does indeed have a nice graphic card the GTX 260 M

Indeed that computer is very good and could even be a good gaming computer if you hook up a nice monitor, a real keyboard and a real mouse.

And it is way cheaper than number 2

The HP ENVY 15-1050CA does indeed have the second best card and is 500 dollars more expensive and the extra 2 gigs vs a better card I would go for number 1

The third the HP Pavilion DV7-3080CA cost the same as the first but with a worse card.

For me as a person who likes games I would of course go with number 1 and then again I wouldn't upgrade that machine to Ubuntu but keep the windows 7 and play lots of games.

The question is what do you want to do with the laptop just work and nothing more or play games as well.

It all depends what do you want to do?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Help Choosing Between Laptops

As for the graphic card:

If I were you I would not choose any hardware having ATI in it.... maybe only had bad luck with ATI. Anyway I have never had any problem with nVidia GeForce graphic cards.

I have mostly ASUS components in my computer and it runs great.

Beans
    Distro

It does not have to run Linux.
    Just whichever would be best overall.
    Also, I see no trouble with ATI on Linux like others do.

Beans

I would go for the ENVY, even tho I voted for the DV7. But for that price, I would rather get a MacBook for better resell value, and because I'm typing on one;

Oh and I can triple boot Windows7/Ubuntu/Snow Leopard
    Domain and Hosting: http://www.biztoe.net
    Website Development: http://www.biztoe.com

Beans

Talking Re: Help Choosing Between Laptops

Another small thing

What's the rush?

If you wait for 2 months and buy on the sale between after Xmas and before the new years 26-30 dec you can most likely get a much much better price and more stuff.

By then it is possible that ATI cards will have their 5000 series in laptops and Nvidia comes out with their 300 series in December but it is unlikely that laptops 300 series will be out this year

But still what's the rush, just wait 2 months and get more for less!

Beans
    Distro

Thanks everyone so far.
    I would just like it soon rather than wait...
    But the three choices I had have changed.
    The HP dv6t is the one I am looking at now since I can get it for 1300$ but with the screen size I want but with 4GB RAM.
    The Envy now has 8GB RAM for the same price.
    And the ASUS remains the same.
    Does this change anyone's mind?
    Envy = $2200
    HP dv6t = $1300
    ASUS G51 = $1670
    One of the main reasons I have not already bought the dv6t or the ASUS is that I hate laptops with the Numpads.
    Oh also the Envy now has the additional 9 Cell battery for that price above and the dv6t now has a 12 Cell battery.