Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Random freezing in 9.10 karmic

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Talking Re: Random freezing in 9.10 karmic

Quote Originally Posted by pompiuses View Post
    Looks like there's a cure afterall . Disabling Compiz and installing the Xorg intel driver to 2.4 fixed it completely. So at least on my Dell Dimension 2400 the problem was graphics related.

Following this post:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...0&postcount=15
    +1 Everything works great now. Full Compiz effect, using my swap, RAM, and CPU properly and NO MORE RANDOM CRASHES!!!!! I almost gave up on Ubuntu till this. It is a great OS. Does all I need and more now. I am really overjoyed to have it fixed!!! This should have a HowTo. What was really tough was figuring out what was causing the crashes. It seems indeed, they were graphics related. What told me this for sure was that I could ssh and
    Code:
    /etc/init.d/gdm restart
    would restart gnome like nothing ever happened. Now on to playing with my new desktop effects I knew my computer should've been able to utilize. Dell Dim 2400 here also. P4 2.66GHz-2Gig DDR SDRAM(www.memory-up.com) VGA Intel82845GL integrated chipset.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Random freezing in 9.10 karmic

The freezes have gotten a little less frequent, but every now and then they still happen. I'm currently using kernel 2.6.32-020632rc8-generic (and I have the KDE 4.4 beta packages installed), and Kubuntu has frozen a couple of times while watching videos on Youtube.

It would be understandable that with beta kernel, flash and KDE, there would be problems. But I have a Kubuntu server with only the default repositories enabled and it's freezing, too...

Beans

I think its kind of interesting that so many people could have random freezes for so many different reasons. I've been following this thread since its inception and I was sure everyone was suffering from more or less the same demons...not so apparently.

I installed Karmic on my desktop (x64) as soon as it came out and my computer would freeze constantly. Sometimes it'd stay alive for an hour or so, other times it'd freeze just minutes after booting. Then I decided to try installing Karmic on my Dell Latitude E5400 (also x64) and zero problems. None. I mean, everything worked right out of the box which I thought was amazing.

But my desktop still doesn't work with 9.10. I can get the thing into a hard freeze just moving the mouse around with nothing else open. I've tried disabling Compiz, closing all unnecessary programs, upgrading to the newer 2.6.32 kernel, turning off wireless, and nothing works. The only evidence I've found that indicates there a problem (aside from the freezing, lol) is my /var/log/syslog reported, "Clocksource tsc unstable". I know this has to do with frequency scaling, but beyond that I'm lost.

Anyway, I don't expect anyone to have any miraculous input, but I wanted to at least voice my experiences here with the rest of you. I'm really bummed too because from what I saw I really liked this new release

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I've also been following this for a while - various threads and bug reports and have tried various proposed remedies on my Dell Dimension 2400 to no avail. Recently this bug report has generated a lot of activity and a new PPA with video driver roll-backs has been set up that some folks are having success with (I just added the PPA and updated yesterday and so far, so good). Post #29 in the bug report has the new PPA which apparently is for Intel drivers although it looks like other folks are using it, too. Basically they've rolled the drivers back several versions and as users of the PPA report success they move them forward again to the next change to try and see where the bug crops up.
    Read the bug report at the top of the page - it seems to cover a lot of the symptoms folks in this thread are seeing. While the solution may not be for everyone this is the most forward motion I've seen on this issue so far.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Add my name to those that solved their problems by using a version of kernel 2.6.32. Thanks to rockyjones, who posted this as a possible solution some weeks ago.
    I just can't understand this problem. Nothing I've done gives my any clue as to what the cause could be.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

This is totally weird, i had freezes in jaunty and stopped using it till karmic 9.10 was released. For a month now karmic has been great without a single freeze till tonight just before i was notified of a huge amount of updates.
    I am using 2.6.31-17-generic
    and i was not doing anything but chatting on Emesene when my screen went black aside from an undercore dash flashing in the upper left corner and only the caplock flashing, requiring a hard restart.
    No settings were changed in at least a week so this is indeed quite a random freeze.
    I am to tired to do anything about it tonight but will probably upgrade kernel tomorrow...
    ~
    Desktop:ASRock P4i65GV/P4 2.8ghz 2gbram
    Laptop:Toshiba L350-PSLD8C Centrino64 dualcore 2ghz 4gbram

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pompiuses View Post
    Looks like there's a cure afterall . Disabling Compiz and installing the Xorg intel driver to 2.4 fixed it completely. So at least on my Dell Dimension 2400 the problem was graphics related.

Following this post:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...0&postcount=15
    Great, since I do not have intel chip set, does someone have a solution for ATI Radeon chip set? I completely delete compix, since I can not benefit from it with this computer. Some other quirks I have with 9.10
    - 15 minute start-up
    - wifi tools, does not work
    - even though I have it set to never power down or sleep, it goes to sleep after 5 minutes.
    NEC PowerMate Eco, earth-friendly computer
    Transmeta 900 mhz, ATI Radeon video
    So how much Solar Energy did you collect and use today?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I had this problem and tried many of the fixes listed here to no avail, including updating the kernel. Then on a whim I enabled the Pre-released updates (karmic-propopsed) repository and the freeze-crashes have disappeared. My computer was hard crashing 10+ times per day before. Rock solid since I enabled pre-released.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I tried updating to 2.6.32.7 but still facing the same problems :/
    I am actually pretty sick of this now. The Launchpad bug is here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/498495

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Downgrading the Nvidia drivers only reduced the frequency of system freezes.
    It seems I will get a freeze during or after listening to music in Banshee.
    This bug is soooo annoying.

Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast