Page 9 of 39 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: PulseAudio Equalizer Script

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: PulseAudio Equalizer Script

Quote Originally Posted by musarraf172 View Post
    This is good guide. Thanks for that. But one thing I dont like i.e whenever I am changing the equalizer setting it makes my master and PCM volume 100 % > The sound suddenly becomes very loud...
    Yes, that's normal - the ALSA sink volume will be set to the preamp multiplier. For example: if the multiplier is 1.5, your volume will be set to 150%.

When the equalizer is active, the LADSPA sink becomes default, so that becomes the main volume control, not the ALSA sink.

Turn the preamp down to 1.0x if you don't need a volume boost.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Talking Re: PulseAudio Equalizer Script

Quote Originally Posted by psyke83 View Post
    Yes, that's normal - the ALSA sink volume will be set to the preamp multiplier. For example: if the multiplier is 1.5, your volume will be set to 150%.

When the equalizer is active, the LADSPA sink becomes default, so that becomes the main volume control, not the ALSA sink.

Turn the preamp down to 1.0x if you don't need a volume boost.
    Thanks dear. That solved my problem.....

Beans

You need to update phyton to make it work right? because whe i try to install it, it says something like Pyhton-support =<0.90.0

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by diegodiaz View Post
    You need to update phyton to make it work right? because whe i try to install it, it says something like Pyhton-support =<0.90.0
    You're on Jaunty?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Ubuntu has needed a system wide EQ forever.
    This is wonderful.

Since the gain needs to remain constant with/without equalization, it would help if the preamp slider would go lower than x1.0 to attain this, especially needed if one is an audiophile, as the x1.0 threshold may not be low enough.
    The original intent of an EQ, was to achieve a level sound across the spectrum, dependent upon the listening environment. Most people end up adding gain when achieving this.
    So the only way to do a true listening comparison, between an equalized/non-equalized playback, is to have no change in total volume db. Hence the need for a lower threshold.

Beans
    Distro

A Suggestion

Adding Bauer stereophonic-to-binaural DSP to the equalizer's GUI will be a great improvement. I'm using this specific plugin with Audacious and it's just perfect.

**The developer releases a LADSPA version as well. (can be downloaded from HERE)

Beans
    Distro

Re: A Suggestion

Quote Originally Posted by ENigma885 View Post
    Adding Bauer stereophonic-to-binaural DSP to the equalizer's GUI will be a great improvement. I'm using this specific plugin with Audacious and it's just perfect.

**The developer releases a LADSPA version as well. (can be downloaded from HERE)
    The module-ladspa-sink only supports LADSPA plugins with a single "Input" and single "Output" port:

Currently this module only works with plugins that have one audio input port named "Input" and one output with name "Output". Patches welcome!
    Here's the LADSPA plugin information:

Code:
    conn@inspiron:~/Downloads/ladspa-bs2b-0.9.1$ analyseplugin bs2b

Plugin Name: "Bauer stereophonic-to-binaural 0.9.1 (3.1.0)"
    Plugin Label: "bs2b"
    Plugin Unique ID: 4221
    Maker: "Boris Mikhaylov, Sebastian Pipping"
    Copyright: "GPL 2 or later"
    Must Run Real-Time: No
    Has activate() Function: Yes
    Has deativate() Function: No
    Has run_adding() Function: No
    Environment: Normal
    Ports:	"Lowpass filter cut frequency (Hz)" input, control, 300 to 2000, default 725
    	"Feeding level (dB)" input, control, 1 to 15, default 4.5
    	"Input left" input, audio
    	"Input right" input, audio
    	"Output left" output, audio
    	"Output right" output, audio
    There are two input/output ports, so it won't work with PulseAudio unless this limitation is removed.

Beans

FINALLY. An equalizer with a GUI for PulseAudio. Thank you very much! Can't live without equalizers...
    Now I'm using this with MPD. This is a very very useful addition!

I' running Karmic 64bit here with the latest updates. I've been using this for a week now with no problems.
    Last edited by cloudscream; November 24th, 2009 at 06:10 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Hi, Psyke83
    In a next version (if there is) I suggest you to change lines 402-403 by the following:

Code:
        preampscale.set_range(0,2)
    #    preampscale.set_increments(1, 1)
    It will allow users to apply any preamp gain (not only integer values) between 0x and 2x

Also a good thing would be to save preamp settings for each preset since the needed preamp value is closely related to the chosen preset.

Best regards,
    Steph
    Last edited by sbersier; November 26th, 2009 at 09:27 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Thanks so much, this has improved the sound from my laptop. I'm still trying to figure out how to get PulseAudio to recognize the "subwoofer" on my laptop (Lenovo Y550 with Realtek ALC272), which would really make things sound much better. This is a definite step in the right direction, though.

One thing I have noticed, though: When I apply the laptop preset the volume has a definite jump up (which is a good thing!). However, when I use the hardware keys to lower the volume down towards zero, the volume gets trapped back in it's previous low range. Basically, I can't use the hardware volume keys to go back up to the higher volume of the laptop preset once I've used them to go down below the stock max volume. I have to open the gui back up and click the "EQ Enabled" box again.

Page 9 of 39 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast