Page 12 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: PulseAudio Equalizer Script

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: PulseAudio Equalizer Script

Crikey, Pulseaudio is now eating my CPU, sitting at 53% when I check top! How do I lower this, I only have a 1.6 ghz Celeron?

UPDATE:It could be the Pulseaudio Volume Control, I see the CPU use for Pulsaudio went down all of a sudden, but this because card configuration got dumped.Its not showing up under configuration (no cards available for configuration). No sound, dummy output!
    Last edited by afrodeity; December 1st, 2009 at 06:59 PM.

Beans

It seem that if the config file doesn't exist the gui doesn't create it and simply fail.

Code:
    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "/usr/share/pulseaudio-equalizer/pulseaudio-equalizer.py", line 519, in <module>
        Equalizer()
      File "/usr/share/pulseaudio-equalizer/pulseaudio-equalizer.py", line 354, in __init__
        GetSettings()
      File "/usr/share/pulseaudio-equalizer/pulseaudio-equalizer.py", line 46, in GetSettings
        f = open(eqconfig, "r")
    IOError: [Errno 2] Nessun file o directory: '/home/antonio/.pulse/equalizerrc'
    I miss something?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Okay I have my pulseaudio volume control configuration which controls Azalia HDAC set to Analog Stereo Ouput + Digital Stereo (IEC958) Input.

There definitely some interactions going on between the Azalia and the LASDPA for example, both are listed in the Output Devices tab. Wonder if this just means I need a soundcard?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by tonyriva View Post
    It seem that if the config file doesn't exist the gui doesn't create it and simply fail.

Code:
    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "/usr/share/pulseaudio-equalizer/pulseaudio-equalizer.py", line 519, in <module>
        Equalizer()
      File "/usr/share/pulseaudio-equalizer/pulseaudio-equalizer.py", line 354, in __init__
        GetSettings()
      File "/usr/share/pulseaudio-equalizer/pulseaudio-equalizer.py", line 46, in GetSettings
        f = open(eqconfig, "r")
    IOError: [Errno 2] Nessun file o directory: '/home/antonio/.pulse/equalizerrc'
    I miss something?
    The configuration file should be written automatically by the bash script at /usr/bin/pulseaudio-equalizer.sh.

If you had an older version of the script in /usr/local/bin/ (before it was packaged in .deb form), it will conflict with the newer version provided by the .deb package in /usr/bin/ - you should delete it.

Code:
    $ sudo rm /usr/local/bin/pulseaudio-equalizer.sh
    If your problem isn't solved, please send me the log from this command:
    Code:
    $ pulseaudio-equalizer.sh debug

Beans

Hi - I'm one of the smaller time pulseaudio devs and it took me a long time to get around to replying to this thread but I thought I should mention that upstream pulseaudio has a native equalizer (with an unofficial ppa). It should be officially released soon and available in the main audio PPAs for 9.10
    This equalizer has pretty much an infinite number of bands and is realtime and of higher quality... additionally mbeq lies about frequency meanings.
    Looky at the front-end here:
    http://yasdb.blogspot.com/2009/08/qp...bdivision.html
    How to setup here:
    http://www.pulseaudio.org/wiki/SystemEqualizer

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by phish3 View Post
    Hi - I'm one of the smaller time pulseaudio devs and it took me a long time to get around to replying to this thread but I thought I should mention that upstream pulseaudio has a native equalizer (with an unofficial ppa). It should be officially released soon and available in the main audio PPAs for 9.10
    This equalizer has pretty much an infinite number of bands and is realtime and of higher quality... additionally mbeq lies about frequency meanings.
    Looky at the front-end here:
    http://yasdb.blogspot.com/2009/08/qp...bdivision.html
    How to setup here:
    http://www.pulseaudio.org/wiki/SystemEqualizer
    Thanks for the info.

I tried using your qpaeq interface on a GNOME system (with the necessary eq-enabled pulseaudio packages from a PPA, and the proper python qt packages installed for the interface) and it didn't work. Also, are there any plans to release a GTK interface?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by psyke83 View Post
    Thanks for the info.

I tried using your qpaeq interface on a GNOME system (with the necessary eq-enabled pulseaudio packages from a PPA, and the proper python qt packages installed for the interface) and it didn't work. Also, are there any plans to release a GTK interface?
    Recent build after instructions on the wiki above followed? If so, can you post the errors or hop by freenode #pulseaudio to investigate the problem more? I have no official plans for a gtk client but the backend uses dbus to communicate so you're free to create one and drop it in if you're adamant about not using qt.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

WoW!

What is that, 75 bands? I lost count.
    That would make a killer notch filter for shortwave radio use.
    Last edited by NoVista; December 4th, 2009 at 01:11 PM. Reason: spelling

Beans

well, thank you all for your efforts.
    Effectively, i have some questions and some suggestions about "official" and "psyche's" equalizer.
    Since i embraced linux some years ago, i missed environmental effects applied to sound (who has audigy/x-fi or recent asus high-end cards and use win can realize what i mean). Still i have a win partition i use only to play songs (using AMAROK, although 2.1!) with the creative sound server. some presets of environmental effects (like theater, or new age) are really stunning.
    Now, alsa doesn't manage in any way environmental audio. since no audio driver provides an interface for EAX/EFX builtin functions of high end audio cards it's a perfect task for Pulse Audio.
    PA has two ways od doing it:

1)Using OpenAL as a sink (also OpenAl-soft doesn't use computation power of audio processing units..that slows down cpu)
    2)Using a LADSPA plugin for environmental audio (does it really exists???)

the first way seems to me more viable: openal-soft implements some enviromental effects, and is a multiplatform industry standard.
    I had some cross posts with chris robinson (openal-soft father), suggesting him to move computation towars OpenCL to gain speed and decrease latency. it's a hard task and chris is alone. I'm not so much skilled to help him.

so my idea is:
    1)use openal as a sink pilot it via equalizer.
    2)help chris in moving cpu-critical routines to OpenCL.

Beans

I've had whims on some digital audio effects before but couldn't really think of anything I'd really want to use for more than a few minutes. If you can propose and fleshout a useful effect, I may consider it in the future (so far the only thing more I have planned is some new approaches to normalizing). Also, the cpu usage for audio effects is pretty low on todays computers and I can improve the equalizer's backend a bit to do most of the work there for nearly the same cpu cost with most any combination of filters/effects. Audio is one of those things were we can do alot of processing without hardware acceleration (way different story for images/graphics).

Page 12 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast