Page 3 of 39 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: PulseAudio Equalizer Script

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: PulseAudio Equalizer Script

Quote Originally Posted by sbersier View Post
    Ooops, yes indeed the signs are wrong for Classical settings. But if you've already done it. There no point for me to correct it.
    Regards,
    Steph
    The problem is that I didn't compensate for the preamp, and used generally un-scientific methods . Feel free to fix up your presets, and if they're accurate, I'll include in the next update.

Beans
    Distro

Note: I've intentionally rounded the values to integer values is it absolutely necessary? If not I can modify the previous attachement.
    No, I don't believe that integers are required. However, I've limited the scales (sliders) to one decimal point in order to keep the interface compact.

Beans
    Distro

Psyke83: Indeed you GUI is a LOT better. In order not to introduce confusion I propose to remove mine. What do you think?
    Best regards,
    Steph
    That's not necessary unless you really want to.

If you wish to keep your interface, I recommend that you download the v1.8 script (still attached to the first post), attach to your post and change the instructions to reflect the fact that you need to use v1.8 and no later.

I've changed a few parts of the script to accommodate the Python interface (because it's my first attempt at programming in Python, I had to rely more on the bash script for passing status between scripts).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Okay. I will change my first post according to your recommendation.

Attached is the new 'presets' directory with decimal values (integer values are indeed not necessary) and with the 'Classical' setting corrected. I've made a quick check, it looks like the others a correct...
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Distro

Okay. I will change my first post according to your recommendation.

Attached is the new 'presets' directory with decimal values (integer values are indeed not necessary) and with the 'Classical' setting corrected. I've made a quick check, it looks like the others a correct...
    Unfortunately, some of your presets appear to cause distortion artifacts in music (I tried 'The Prodigy - Narayan' with your 'Full bass and treble' preset).

I assume this is because you adjusted for the preamp - it seems that the mbeq_1197 LADSPA plugin simply doesn't compensate for clipping artifacts.

Perhaps there's a better plugin we can use (I've tested tap_eq and it seems promising, but it's limited to 8 bands), but in the meantime we shouldn't correct the preamp on the VLC presets.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Attached: 'presets' without preamp correction. Changed interpolation method (gives better result on the sides) and corrected an error on the "reggae" setting. I hope that this time it's good...

Attachment modified.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by sbersier; November 8th, 2009 at 02:11 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I'm not so sure our hear can really make the difference between a 15-bands and an 8-bands equalizer. It just takes more time to adjust 15-bands... So, if the tap plugin is more convenient... why not?

Also, there is a quiet interesting idea for hear-disabled people. It would consist in being able to equalize separately left and right channels. Because, in some cases you can hear correctly from one hear and need some help to hear the trebles or basses from the other one.

Beans
    Distro

I'm not so sure our hear can really make the difference between a 15-bands and an 8-bands equalizer. It just takes more time to adjust 15-bands... So, if the tap plugin is more convenient... why not?

Also, there is a quiet interesting idea for hear-disabled people. It would consist in being able to equalize separately left and right channels. Because, in some cases you can hear correctly from one hear and need some help to hear the trebles or basses from the other one.
    It appears that the bw_eq ladspa plugin also causes distortion/clipping.

I checked your latest presets (without preamp correction), and they still cause clipping; when I manually reduced all the bands by 3.0, clipping vastly reduced (and in some presets, disappeared).

When using VLC's equalizer (with the PulseAudio equalizer disabled), no clipping occurs even when you move the bands to the maximum/minimum positions, so the accuracy of the values themselves are not the problem.

I propose that we take your latest presets, reduce all values by 3.0 or more, test the results, and adjust any remaining presets that cause distortion.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Presets, huh. Been looking to tinker with my voice for some VOIP-enabled games.

Going to give this a try.

edit: how can I select what stream do I want to apply this to?
    Last edited by Vadi; November 9th, 2009 at 02:38 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Vadi View Post
    Presets, huh. Been looking to tinker with my voice for some VOIP-enabled games.

Going to give this a try.

edit: how can I select what stream do I want to apply this to?
    You can't. This applies the equalizer to the default sink (output device). You want to apply it to a source (input device), which I don't think is possible.

http://www.pulseaudio.org/wiki/Modul...le-ladspa-sink
    Last edited by psyke83; November 9th, 2009 at 05:32 PM.

Page 3 of 39 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast