Page 26 of 39 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Thread: PulseAudio Equalizer Script

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: PulseAudio Equalizer Script

I was thrilled when I found this! I'm a music fanatic, and I've always very carefully tweaked the equalizers in the other OSs I've used. I am, however, having an issue that I can't figure out. But it may very well be a noob-ish thing; I cut teeth on computers, but I'm while learning fast, I'm very new to Ubuntu.

So I followed the instructions in the first post to download and install the most recent version. After installing (and rebooting), when I went to the sound/video folder and opened the PulseAudio Equalizer. It said it was loading, and then nothing happened. After trying repeatedly, I opened the properties and ran the command associated with the GUI button in the terminal, which apparently is "pulseaudio-equalizer-gtk". Doing that gave me the following:

Code:
    Getting settings...
    ls: cannot access /home/cason/.pulse/presets/*.preset: No such file or directory
    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "/usr/share/pulseaudio-equalizer/pulseaudio-equalizer.py", line 519, in <module>
        Equalizer()
      File "/usr/share/pulseaudio-equalizer/pulseaudio-equalizer.py", line 362, in __init__
        icon = self.window.set_icon_from_file("/usr/share/icons/hicolor/16x16/apps/gnome-volume-control.svg")
    glib.GError: Failed to open file '/usr/share/icons/hicolor/16x16/apps/gnome-volume-control.svg': No such file or directory
    Being a noob, I didn't really know exactly what that meant (and to be honest I still don't). So I messed around in the terminal a little bit, reading the info on the pulseaudio-equalizer command, tried commands like toggle and reset, but still couldn't seem to get it working. I've looked through this thread but couldn't find anything helpful.

How can I go about fixing this? I'm almost salivating at the thought of having an equalizer for my Ubuntu OS, lol. I've attached my log. And FYI: I'm running Lucid 10.04.

Thanks in advance for any and all help!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Cason View Post
    I was thrilled when I found this! I'm a music fanatic, and I've always very carefully tweaked the equalizers in the other OSs I've used. I am, however, having an issue that I can't figure out. But it may very well be a noob-ish thing; I cut teeth on computers, but I'm while learning fast, I'm very new to Ubuntu.

So I followed the instructions in the first post to download and install the most recent version. After installing (and rebooting), when I went to the sound/video folder and opened the PulseAudio Equalizer. It said it was loading, and then nothing happened. After trying repeatedly, I opened the properties and ran the command associated with the GUI button in the terminal, which apparently is "pulseaudio-equalizer-gtk". Doing that gave me the following:

Code:
    Getting settings...
    ls: cannot access /home/cason/.pulse/presets/*.preset: No such file or directory
      File "/usr/share/pulseaudio-equalizer/pulseaudio-equalizer.py", line 519, in <module>
        Equalizer()
      File "/usr/share/pulseaudio-equalizer/pulseaudio-equalizer.py", line 362, in __init__
        icon = self.window.set_icon_from_file("/usr/share/icons/hicolor/16x16/apps/gnome-volume-control.svg")
    glib.GError: Failed to open file '/usr/share/icons/hicolor/16x16/apps/gnome-volume-control.svg': No such file or directory
    Being a noob, I didn't really know exactly what that meant (and to be honest I still don't). So I messed around in the terminal a little bit, reading the info on the pulseaudio-equalizer command, tried commands like toggle and reset, but still couldn't seem to get it working. I've looked through this thread but couldn't find anything helpful.

How can I go about fixing this? I'm almost salivating at the thought of having an equalizer for my Ubuntu OS, lol. I've attached my log. And FYI: I'm running Lucid 10.04.

Thanks in advance for any and all help!
    It's a small packaging bug that affects people who don't use GNOME (as the application uses a GNOME icon). You can fix it by doing one of the following:

• (ideally) install the package "gnome-media-common" (if it doesn't pull loads of unnecessary dependencies for you)
    • create an empty file for the icon:
      Code:
      $ sudo touch /usr/share/icons/hicolor/16x16/apps/gnome-volume-control.svg
    • copy any icon you desire to /usr/share/icons/hicolor/16x16/apps/gnome-volume-control.svg

Are you using Kubuntu or another variant? Certain flavours (such as Kubuntu) don't use PulseAudio, so if my equalizer has caused PulseAudio itself to install, your sound may or may not have conflicts.
    Last edited by psyke83; July 4th, 2010 at 12:25 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Talking Re: PulseAudio Equalizer Script

Quote Originally Posted by psyke83 View Post
    It's a small packaging bug that affects people who don't use GNOME (as the application uses a GNOME icon). You can fix it by doing one of the following:

• (ideally) install the package "gnome-media-common" (if it doesn't pull loads of unnecessary dependencies for you)
      Code:
    • copy any icon you desire to /usr/share/icons/hicolor/16x16/apps/gnome-volume-control.svg

Are you using Kubuntu or another variant? Certain flavours (such as Kubuntu) don't use PulseAudio, so if my equalizer has caused PulseAudio itself to install, your sound may or may not have conflicts.
    Wow, than's for the quick reply!

I'm not using Kubuntu, but Ubuntu Netbook Remix (which apparently is Gnome? I have the option to select Ubuntu or Gnome when I log in...). And I do have pulseaudio installed, as well as the "gnome-media-common", so that wasn't the issue. But when I tried the second fix, it worked just fine. So thanks for that!

Just as an aside, even messing around with trying to adjust the variables through the terminal, I noticed the same thing that CCC999 mentioned a few posts above: while I was listening to music and browsing, there was a slight catch or skip every 30 secs or so. It immediately disappeared when I toggled the EQ off with the terminal command. Any clues as to what causes that, and if so, is there a fix?

If not, I can just do what CCC said and disable it till I need it, which will be much easier now that the GUI is working!

Beans

Code:

I'm running Xfce4 and was affected by this bug. Just to let you know, creating an empty file does not work as it then reports the error "file contains no data". Copying another image to there works fine.

BTW, and sorry for not reading this entire thread and checking through launchpad, but has anyone reported that enabling the eq or applying an eq setting sets the system volume to 100% every time?

A million thanks for this terrific utility.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by hhh View Post
    I'm running Xfce4 and was affected by this bug. Just to let you know, creating an empty file does not work as it then reports the error "file contains no data". Copying another image to there works fine.
    Thanks for the information.

BTW, and sorry for not reading this entire thread and checking through launchpad, but has anyone reported that enabling the eq or applying an eq setting sets the system volume to 100% every time?

A million thanks for this terrific utility.
    This is normal and required for the equalizer to work properly. When the equalizer is enabled, a new PulseAudio LADSPA sink (virtual output device) is created, and the hardware sink (the real sound device) is deliberately set proportional to the preamp. The default preamp level 1.0x - equivalent to 100%, as you can see. The LADSPA sink then becomes the default system sink, and this virtual device controls the volume.

When the equalizer is enabled on GNOME systems, the gnome-volume-control applet switches the PulseAudio LADSPA sink to the default sink (which takes over control of system volume). Since you're using XFCE, I guess that its volume applet/utility does not recognise when PulseAudio switches to a different sink.

The script is designed to restore the volume level when you enable/disable the equalizer. I'll try to explain, but it's a bit late here, so sorry if it makes no sense .

First, some explanation of some of the terms:
    sink = PulseAudio output device
    hardware sink = your real sound card, as seen by PulseAudio.
    LADSPA = the plugin system used to equalize audio; see the first post, it's explained.
    LADSPA sink = the virtual, equalized device which plays back equalized audio. The LADSPA sink relies on the hardware sink to work properly.

So, this is a rough outline of how the EQ works:

1. EQ is not yet enabled -> your hardware sink is set as the default PulseAudio sink, and the hardware sink volume is at 75% (for example).
    2. You turn on EQ -> hardware sink volume is set to the preamp level (e.g., 100% for 1.0x, 150% for 1.5x, etc. - volume can be driven over 100%), a LADSPA sink is created with your equalizer settings, this LADSPA sink is made default, and its volume is set to the previous hardware sink level (75%).
    3. While the EQ is active, your default system volume is now the LADSPA sink and not the hardware sink; the hardware sink volume should not be touched. Unfortunately, judging by your reports, XFCE's applet doesn't seem to recognise when PulseAudio changes the default sink.
    4. You turn off EQ -> hardware sink is made default, hardware sink volume is set to the previous LADSPA sink level, and the LADSPA sink is removed.

From the user's perspective, there should be no discernible difference between volume levels when enabling/disabling the equalizer, but it relies on a volume applet that can recognise when the default sink changes.

If you're interested in seeing how it works rather than reading about it, open PulseAudio Volume Control (pavucontrol) on the Output Devices tab, and toggle the EQ on/off. Watch how the sinks change in the applet.
    Last edited by psyke83; July 7th, 2010 at 05:31 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I must preface this with profound thanks: Ubuntu definitely needs a system EQ, and I greatly appreciate the time and effort you've put in to building one and helping the rest of us get it working.

However, ever since I've installed the EQ, my video and audio playback has been rather buggy. It even happens when I disable the EQ now. I haven't made any other changes to my system since, so I'm assuming that the EQ has something to do with it. Anything that requires audio, be it music, videos, or games, have horrible glitching problems. My particular system hardware has already had significant issues with some programs, so it's not really a surprise that the EQ might cause my system problems.

That being the case, how can I completely uninstall the EQ? I haven't be able to find instructions in the thread, but maybe I just missed it. I need to see if an uninstall will fix this horribly irritating audio-hiccup I've been having. If that doesn't fix it, then I'll know the problem is elsewhere and, once I have it fixed, I'll reinstall the EQ.

Hopefully the EQ isn't the issue, but I need to be able to find out...

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Cason View Post
    I must preface this with profound thanks: Ubuntu definitely needs a system EQ, and I greatly appreciate the time and effort you've put in to building one and helping the rest of us get it working.

However, ever since I've installed the EQ, my video and audio playback has been rather buggy. It even happens when I disable the EQ now. I haven't made any other changes to my system since, so I'm assuming that the EQ has something to do with it. Anything that requires audio, be it music, videos, or games, have horrible glitching problems. My particular system hardware has already had significant issues with some programs, so it's not really a surprise that the EQ might cause my system problems.

That being the case, how can I completely uninstall the EQ? I haven't be able to find instructions in the thread, but maybe I just missed it. I need to see if an uninstall will fix this horribly irritating audio-hiccup I've been having. If that doesn't fix it, then I'll know the problem is elsewhere and, once I have it fixed, I'll reinstall the EQ.

Hopefully the EQ isn't the issue, but I need to be able to find out...
    Installing the equalizer will not modify PulseAudio's default configuration files until you click the "Keep Settings" checkmark in the interface. Unchecking that box will restore PulseAudio to its default configuration.

To be completely sure, you can delete the entire ~/.pulse folder and restart PulseAudio, like so:
    Code:
    $ rm ~/.pulse -r; pulseaudio -k
    Be careful of typos, especially when using the "rm" command.
    Last edited by psyke83; July 8th, 2010 at 02:12 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Installing the equalizer will not modify PulseAudio's default configuration files until you click the "Keep Settings" checkmark in the interface. Unchecking that box will restore PulseAudio to its default configuration.

To be completely sure, you can delete the entire ~/.pulse folder and restart PulseAudio, like so:
    Code:
    $ rm ~/.pulse -r; pulseaudio -k
    Be careful of typos, especially when using the "rm" command.
    Well, after tinkering for about seven hours, I was able to finally resolve the problem. It was actually an issue with my unit's processor. While the issue was not caused by the EQ, it was exacerbated by the it and made the problem more noticeable. I was able to correct it by adding a command in GRUB on boot-up. After fixing, I reinstalled the EQ and everything's working picture-perfectly.

So now I have another thing to be thankful for in relation to the EQ: it made me aware of a problem I probably wouldn't have really noticed otherwise. Thanks for the help!

Beans

I saw that someone earlier in the thread also had this problem, but for some reason when creating a blank equalizerrc file, pulseaudio-equalizer was failing to write a valid 'persistence' attribute

Code:
    :~$ pulseaudio-equalizer-gtk
    Getting settings...
    ls: cannot access /home/paul/.pulse/presets/*.preset: No such file or directory
        Equalizer()
      File "/usr/share/pulseaudio-equalizer/pulseaudio-equalizer.py", line 354, in __init__
        GetSettings()
      File "/usr/share/pulseaudio-equalizer/pulseaudio-equalizer.py", line 62, in GetSettings
        persistence = int(rawdata[6])
    ValueError: invalid literal for int() with base 10: ''
    This was easily fixed by changing the 7th line of .pulse/equalizerrc to 0, and everything seems to be working.

Beans

As a person who runs his Ubuntu 9.10 as root I find I get the message "This script must not be run as root!"

Is there a way for a root user to use pulseaudio-equalizer-gtk? Thank you!

Page 26 of 39 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast