Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: PulseAudio Equalizer Script

Thanks psyche83 this is a awesome bit of kit

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I must say this is a sweet little tool. Thanks so much for posting this. May I request that the preamp be able to go below 1x and the eq bands be adjustable. Even as it is it is great thx so much. This should be added to the Ubuntu repo's.

For example if it could follow the 2/3 octave standard like this dual dbx pro unit http://www.dbxpro.com/215/215.php
    Last edited by gilson585; January 9th, 2010 at 01:48 PM. Reason: added example

Beans

Could I also request this be added either as standard or as a repo add on ?

How do we go about getting Ubuntu to include this ?

Sound has always been a bit lagging in linux as in windows i had a general graphic equalizer once the sound card drivers were installed.

This add on would compliment users from windows.
    After all a windows user would expect the same functionality in Ubuntu (linux users tend to over see this major factor).

regarding the frequency banding, I know that this can be edited by the user (as I have done) but it would be nice if 30hz existed as well as 15khz (between 10khz and 20khz).

There seems to be too many mid range bands, are these needed ?

The 10khz and 20khz cover too much frequency range.
    Last edited by diddy1234; January 10th, 2010 at 06:17 PM. Reason: tailored the script with better banding and it rocks !

Beans

Has anyone verified the centre frequencies of mbeq that the PulseAudio Eq Script depends on? I installed the PulseAudio Eq Script and basically it works. However, I find it next to impossible to set the eq to my liking. I'm comparing this to using WinAmp under WinXP and trying to get comparable quality.

Reading the post by phish3 he says
    additionally mbeq lies about frequency meanings.
    . So I decided to test this statement to see if this was why I find it so difficult to adjust the eq to my liking.

I modified the following line in the pulseaudio-equalizer.sh as follows:

Code:
    PA_LADSPA_INPUTS="30,60,120,180,240,360,420,480,540,600,660,720,780,1000,2000"
    I then created a new preset using the Flat preset as a template but modified the frequency values to reflect the changes made above.

I reset the equalizer using the "Reset to default" option under the Advanced menu and then selected my new preset from the presets list. As you can see from the above, my highest frequency is 2K. However, when I tested the preset, the 2K slider was still adjusting the high frequencies (20K) and not the mid-band as I expected.

Again my question is has anyone tested the frequencies from mbeq or is this a bug either in mbeq or the pulseaudio-equalizer.sh script? Am I going about this the wrong way and is there someway to change these frequency values?

Does anyone know the Q of the frequency bands or the technical specs of the DSP routines used by mbeq? I think this would greatly help in determining the optimum centre frequency for the various bands.

Thanks.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by towheedm View Post
    Reading the post by phish3 he says...
    This is in reference to mbeq's processing which is not sampled sufficiently (sampled at IIRC 1024hz, I believe the control points specified above 1024 were also ignored) and who's hz (control points) are proportional to real x/second hz that we hear in. So frequencies are not as advertised and a crapload of aliasing occurs. See bottom 2 graphics here

Again my question is has anyone tested the frequencies from mbeq or is this a bug either in mbeq or the pulseaudio-equalizer.sh script? Am I going about this the wrong way and is there someway to change these frequency values?
    I don't think this is mbeq's fault.

Does anyone know the Q of the frequency bands or the technical specs of the DSP routines used by mbeq? I think this would greatly help in determining the optimum centre frequency for the various bands.
    mbeq uses an FFT/FIR filter, thus there is no Q parameter.

Beans

OK thanks.

So I decided to try your qpaeq equalizer. Since the binary was not listed in the PPA you provided at
    HTML Code:
    http://pulseaudio.org/wiki/SystemEqualizer
    I downloaded the qpaeq.py script from sourceforge.

I uninstalled psyke83 script completely including all configuation files and then I installed all required dependencies for qpaeq and modifed the /etc/pulse/default.pa as stated. Two problems:

1. I launch the equalizer using
    Code:
    python qpaeq.py
    . After the window opens, pulseaudio CPU usage goes to 100%. Also when I try to play music using Rythmbox there is no sound. I have included the master=alsa...... to reflect my soundcard. The FFT based equalizer shows up on PA volume control and is selected. I have tried everything I could think off but still no sound. The FFT equalizer is definitely selected as the sink. Also, the progress bar in Rythymbox jumps in 5sec intervals. I do not think I have freq scaling or whatever you call that.

2. If I try to resize the window, then the weirdest thing happens: python qpaeq.py process memory usage starts climbing from 53MiB to over 800Mib and its CPU usage goes to 100%.

What have I done wrong?

How can I get a binary without having to compile. I am not to familiar with compiling.

Thanks phish3.

Beans

I don't think it is necessary to uninstall psyke83's script. Anywho, first make sure you have working sound and just to be sure try a non rythmbox sound test, preferably something with native pulse output (not alsa). Also make sure to test with pavucontrol closed and see if that results in a change. Please pulseaudio -k && pulseaudio -D after you've closed pavucontrol.

Re 2: cpu usage should jump for a second and go back down to normal as part of the resizing process, but the qpaeq python process shouldn't take more than like 40 MiB tops, try the git versions to see if they help...

Beans

I found this from the PulseAudio Fixes & System-Wide Equalizer Support thread. Never did any modifications, just installed the EQ application and it works a treat. Well there are 2 minor quirks, when I move the volume slider I get crackling, and playing SID files (using Audacious2) causes audacious to use a lot of cpu and speed through the track likes on fast-forward...apart from those, it sounds a whole lot better.
    Using Karmic btw

*edit* I fixed the sid problem by setting the output from 44100 to 22050 in the sid plugin preferences. Seems anything higher than 22050 speeds it up
    Last edited by duffydack; January 11th, 2010 at 05:56 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by phish3 View Post
    I don't think it is necessary to uninstall psyke83's script. Anywho, first make sure you have working sound and just to be sure try a non rythmbox sound test, preferably something with native pulse output (not alsa). Also make sure to test with pavucontrol closed and see if that results in a change. Please pulseaudio -k && pulseaudio -D after you've closed pavucontrol.

Re 2: cpu usage should jump for a second and go back down to normal as part of the resizing process, but the qpaeq python process shouldn't take more than like 40 MiB tops, try the git versions to see if they help...
    Well it took me a bit to figure that GIT was similar to souceforge. Please excuse my ignorance. So I D/L'ed the file from GIT. But before that, pulseaudio works properly on my system even with Rythymbox. Did the whole HOWTO Pulseaudio Fixes thing from the first post in this thread.

I used pavucontrol to verify that the FFT equalizer was selected as the default sink and that my SoundBlaster was not muted, then daemonized pulseaudio. Opened Rythymbox and got the qpaeq to work. BTW, much much much better quality. However, problem #2 still exists. If I try to resize the qpaeq window, it becomes non-responsive and starts eating memory. I looked at the memory map using the system monitor and saw that the heap was eating all of the memory, looks like a bug in Python to me. qpaeq.py memory usage was quite low. After leaving it for about 15mins, it chewed up all of my physical memory and about 1GiB of swap.

The other thing now is that once I restart and log in, the SoundBlaster is always muted so I have to pavucontrol and unmute it. But once I do this, close pavucontrol, daemonize PA launch qpaeq and open up Rythymbox, there's nice sound. Unfortunately, once I daemonize PA I loose the ability to control the volume with the volume control on my kybd. Any suggestions on these two issues, especially the resizing will be greatly appreciated.

I will try and compile although I have never ever had to before. My only programming experience is with VisualBasic and VBA under Windows. BTW, went into GNOME Alsa Mixer and turned on the 3D Control. PA + qpaeq + 3D = WOW WOW WOW!

Thanks.

Using Karmic with latest updates, P4 2.8GHz 1MiB RAM 2GiB swap.
    Last edited by towheedm; January 12th, 2010 at 02:26 AM. Reason: Config

Beans

I made a thread for the upstream/qpaeq based equalizer, please direct relevant posts here http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1378087

Page 18 of 39 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast