Page 11 of 39 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: PulseAudio Equalizer Script

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: PulseAudio Equalizer Script

/me has observed that reducing the volume in steps (eg by rolling the mouse wheel while pointing at the speaker icon in the notification area), the sound seems to jitter and then adjust to the new volume. If I'm not mistaken, this was the same issue reported by ibuclaw (aka tinivole). Could using Compiz be a part of the problem?

This is great work. Two observations/questions.

1) I run kubuntu. The python interface has a default icon hardwired into the script on line 362 and that entire folder doesn't exist on my machine. I just pointed it somewhere else, but might consider some simpler way of dealing with that.

2) The equalizer itself assumes that I want to attach it to one of my sound cards. But its the wrong sound card. Setting the PA default sink from padevchooser doesn't help that. It appears that padevchooser is broken. Using pacmd to do it manually work. I don't know if that is persistent or if I need to go munge some pulseaudio rc file somewhere.

But very nice! Thanks.

Beans

Thumbs down Re: PulseAudio Equalizer Script

Hi,

Great work, thank you very much, you made my music rock again !!. However i have a problem since i use the laptop speakers or a usb headset to listen music, and it only works on the laptop speakers, when i change the sound output to the headset using pulseaudio applet voulume control, the equalization is gone. Hope there is a workarround to this problem.

Regards

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by wd5gnr View Post
    This is great work. Two observations/questions.

1) I run kubuntu. The python interface has a default icon hardwired into the script on line 362 and that entire folder doesn't exist on my machine. I just pointed it somewhere else, but might consider some simpler way of dealing with that.
    I'm not sure how to define a "stock" icon that would also work with KDE. Perhaps it's easier to install humanity-icon-theme and/or hicolor-icon-theme instead? Maybe there's a way to fallback to the default application icon; I'll investigate that.

2) The equalizer itself assumes that I want to attach it to one of my sound cards. But its the wrong sound card. Setting the PA default sink from padevchooser doesn't help that. It appears that padevchooser is broken. Using pacmd to do it manually work. I don't know if that is persistent or if I need to go munge some pulseaudio rc file somewhere.
    For the sake of simplicity, the equalizer will configure itself to use the default PulseAudio sink at the moment that you enable the "EQ Enabled" checkmark.

The solution is to set the desired sound card as the default before you enable the equalizer. Your suspicions are correct about padevchooser - it's broken. Instead, set the default sink via the PulseAudio Volume Control (pavucontrol) application - the green checkmark corresponding to the desired sound card on the Output Devices tab.

You can do the following:
    1. Completely reset/disable the equalizer (via the Advanced menu of the interface). Close the equalizer interface.
    2. Run PulseAudio Volume Control (pavucontrol), and set the desired sound you wish to use as the default (via the green checkmark button on the Output Devices tab).
    3. Re-open the equalizer and enable it via the "EQ Enabled" checkmark.

Providing that equalized audio now works with the desired card, you can enable the "Keep Settings" checkmark - this will save the current settings to the $HOME/.pulse/default.pa file.
    Last edited by psyke83; November 30th, 2009 at 06:14 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by evoka0 View Post
    Hi,

Great work, thank you very much, you made my music rock again !!. However i have a problem since i use the laptop speakers or a usb headset to listen music, and it only works on the laptop speakers, when i change the sound output to the headset using pulseaudio applet voulume control, the equalization is gone. Hope there is a workarround to this problem.

Regards
    The equalizer does not support hotplugging of devices, unfortunately. When you click the "EQ Enabled" checkmark, it configures the equalized audio using the sound card that was set as the default at the moment you enabled it.

If you hotplug a new device, the equalized sink will not reconfigure itself.
    Last edited by psyke83; November 30th, 2009 at 06:25 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by meindian523 View Post
    /me has observed that reducing the volume in steps (eg by rolling the mouse wheel while pointing at the speaker icon in the notification area), the sound seems to jitter and then adjust to the new volume. If I'm not mistaken, this was the same issue reported by ibuclaw (aka tinivole). Could using Compiz be a part of the problem?
    Compiz isn't related.

The distortion during volume changes is unavoidable, and appears to be a quirk of the PulseAudio LADSPA module.

When the equalizer is enabled, there are two sinks (output devices) active:
    • the master sink (your real sound card), which is always set to the preamp volume multiplier (preamp of 1.0x is 100% volume, preamp of 1.5x is 150%, etc.).
    • the ladspa sink, which filters audio through the master sink and becomes the new source for system volume control.

You can observe this behaviour using the PulseAudio Volume Control application on the Output devices tab.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by sigurnjak View Post
    Here it is .
    Your log is unusual.

I don't see any problem with the output, but I can tell that you didn't use the "Keep Settings" checkmark of the interface. You do realize it's necessary to allow the equalizer to survive reboots, don't you?

If your sound is getting muted at startup when the equalizer isn't active, then it's not the fault of the equalizer.

Quote Originally Posted by psyke83 View Post
    The solution is to set the desired sound card as the default before you enable the equalizer. Your suspicions are correct about padevchooser - it's broken. Instead, set the default sink via the PulseAudio Volume Control (pavucontrol) application - the green checkmark corresponding to the desired sound card on the Output Devices tab.
    Good tip. I just used pacmd, but agree that's better. Probably explains why I never got ear candy to work. I assumed padevchooser's default seetings were working

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Smile Re: PulseAudio Equalizer Script

Thanks for this script. This latest Ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic Koala) has finally made pulse audio work without hitches and now an equalizer also....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Congratulations, you've gone and done it!!! System wide equaliser for Ubuntu. Can't thank you enough, it was on my wishlist. Now all we need are mods, effects, some visualisation. Keeps getting better and better.This should definitely be part of the standard install.

I see there are cool presets!

Not sure how it relates to my onboard VT1708/A VIA Azalia HDAC onboard sound, but it easily throws up distortion. Will play some more with the pulsaudio levels to see what's up.Maybe there's a way to maximise integration with VIA?
    Last edited by afrodeity; December 1st, 2009 at 06:29 PM.

Page 11 of 39 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast