Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Increase performances

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Increase performances

Quote Originally Posted by gahute View Post
    Hi,

I downgraded to xubuntu and it seems my problem is not related to my RAM (used less than 50%) but related to my Celeron 1000 MHz CPU which is oftenly (+75% of the time) running at 100%.

Most of your comments are talking about dual-cores, P3 and P4 processors, not Celeron. Forget it about watching a movie on my computer!!!

By the way, I'm new to Linux (as I wrote, I installed my first one a few hours ago only) and I'll have to google "gconf-editor" to learn about it!

If anybody can tell me how to lighten my xubuntu, it will be very appreciated.

Thanks!
    opem a terminal and run
    Code:
    and tell us what process is hogging your cpu.

Beans

Most of your comments are talking about dual-cores, P3 and P4 processors, not Celeron. Forget it about watching a movie on my computer!!!
    i can do the same thing on my 450mhz 256mb ram laptop. so yes you can with your specs.

I downgraded to xubuntu and it seems my problem is not related to my RAM (used less than 50%) but related to my Celeron 1000 MHz CPU which is oftenly (+75% of the time) running at 100%.
    how did you determine it's running at 100% ?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by DeMus View Post
    Could you please explain in detail the things you have done to improve the speed? This sounds interesting.
    Thanks.
    start here:
    http://library.gnome.org/admin/syste...ance-0.html.en

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Hi kerry_s,

I saw my CPU was running at 100% in the System monitor (Moniteur système), Resources tab (onglet Resources) on CPU utilization history (Historique d'utilisation du CPU). Now I think my problem is a display lagging problem...

I'll look at your link for performances...

Thank you!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gahute View Post
    Hi kerry_s,

I saw my CPU was running at 100% in the System monitor (Moniteur système), Resources tab (onglet Resources) on CPU utilization history (Historique d'utilisation du CPU). Now I think my problem is a display lagging problem...

I'll look at your link for performances...

Thank you!

okay, thats what i was thinking. the system monitor is a hog & can easily drive the cpu to 100%.
    try using the "top" command in a terminal instead.
    under powered cpu's constantly reach 100% while working, it's perfectly normal, the only time you need to worry is if it stays that way even though you close the program that drove it up that high.

my advice just use the computer, don't worry whats happening behind the scenes, let the computer do it's job.

if you get the feeling something is wrong, just describe it as best you can & we will help point you where to look & what to look for.

for example:
    you think there is a problem with the vid, you need to give as much details about the vid card as you can, trust me theres someone else thats running that exact card & may already know the answer you need. now if you don't know the details of your vid card, we need to know that, only then can we tell you how to find them out.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Thanks,

I think I should finish this thread and only follow this one I started a few minutes ago 'cause I think my problem is that I don't know what I do:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1310242

I left the details on my hardware a few minutes ago so you can find them there. I'll try to return to the beginning and after that I'll try to look at my display problem (if it is a display problem).

How can I finish this thread?

Thanks kerry_s for your support!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12