Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 9.10 negative colour while playing a video

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

9.10 negative colour while playing a video

Hello,

Ive recently upgraded to ubuntu 9.10 but when i tried to watch a movie on movie player or on Mplayer the colour was like the negatives of a photo film. Anyone has any idea how can i fix that? My graphics card is Nvidia 9600GT.

thnx

Beans

Re: 9.10 negative colour while playing a video

Thank god iam not the only one that is having trouble with my dvd play back with colour,i am also using a NVIDIA Driver Version 185 the recomended one for my computer <Dell Inspiron 530 ,never had any trouble with colour before 9.1 update

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I am having a similar problem but I'm not sure. Do the video's all look blueish?

I have an nvidia 9500m GS (using the 185 driver) and that is whats happening to me. If you open up the "nvidia xserver settings" utility while the movie is playing it fixes it for me, you can close it after. It isn't a fix but its an easy work around. I was using the 185 with 9.04 and this wasn't a problem. Maybe the one from the nvidia site won't have this problem?

It would seem that the setting for Hue (in the "X server XVideo Settings" tab) gets messed up when you play a video (mine was at -1000). If you put it back to zero (or hit it reset hardware defaults button) then you can just open it to fix the movies like i mentioned before.

Unfortunately I don't even know how to start looking for a fix but I hope this helps.

Beans

As above i also did that set hue to o or pressed reset then closed it and then restated my computer and that has worked for me so far

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I had the same problem. I solved it by going to Preferences in Movie Player. In Display, I moved the Hue to the middle instead of far left.

Good luck with your issues and I hope this might help!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

yeap! SOLVED!! ive opened the Nvidia Xserver Settings and set up the hue to 3 and the colors are perfect!!

Thank u all!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

I can confirm that the "fix" works for me as well. Somehow, the hue messes up when opening a video and everything looks blue-ish (although watching blue fire -watched new Mythbusters episode last night- looks really cool </offtopic>), and rebooting would not solve it. Instead, restoring the defaults on Totem or whatever you use to watch videos works just fine.

Beans

I have a similar problem to what some of you are describing except I have a blue hue over everything, not just Movie Player. When I adjust the hue in Movie Player it just changes the color of the photo negative effect it doesn't get rid of it.

I looked at the NVIDIA X Server settings and found my hue was set to 0 and moving that slider had no effect in any way, good or bad, almost like it was being ignored.

I have a NVIDIA Quadro 770M on a Dell Precision M4400. This was a fresh install of 9.10 on a new laptop.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm still browsing the forums for a clue.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Have you tried using VLC player to see if it's localized to your video driver or mplayer? The version of VLC in the Karmic repo seems to be a good one. Smoother HD playback for me than mplayer.
    FIC K8-800T AMD64 3200+ 2GB PC3200 GeForce 6800GT Mandriva 2010 KDE+Compiz+Emerald
    MSI K9N2GM AMD 9950BE 4GB DDR2-800 GeForce 8200 10.10 WUSB600N
    Acer 6920 Core 2 Duo 4GB GeForce 9500GS 10.04 Ubuntu User #17586

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by JBAlaska View Post
    Have you tried using VLC player to see if it's localized to your video driver or mplayer? The version of VLC in the Karmic repo seems to be a good one. Smoother HD playback for me than mplayer.

I'm not sure if this was meant for me, but I went ahead and tried VNC to see if that helped. It seems like the blue haze does not appear on my second machine when I connect to the affected laptop...however this revealed a second problem to me. I only get a screen shot of my Ubuntu box. I can see the mouse moving on the Ubuntu machine, but on my client machine nothing moves. I'll figure this one out later.

What does a clear VNC session suggest to you?

Hmmmmm....you said VLC not VNC...my bad. But it did show me that my video seems ok from a remote session (maybe).
    Last edited by fasmike; November 1st, 2009 at 09:51 AM. Reason: misread prior post

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast