Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: VLC doesnt play video since Karmic Upgrade

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

VLC doesnt play video since Karmic Upgrade

Hi all,

I just upgraded to Karmic this morning and now every time I try to play any sort of video in VLC none of them work (all of them worked prior to the upgrade). I always receive the same error (or small variations of):

No suitable decoder module:
    VLC does not support the audio or video format "XVID". Unfortunately there is no way for you to fix this.

Any ideas are welcome. Thanks to all in advance.
    Toshiba Satellite A205 Notebook: 2GB RAM, 200GB HDD (1TB ext), 32 bit 1.67GHz Intel Centrino Core 2 Duo, Intel Chipset

Ubuntu Karmic Koala 9.10 Dual Boot With Windows Vista SP1

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: VLC doesnt play video since Karmic Upgrade

you aren't alone

here at the tech bench we are going to recommend that BEFORE anyone moves to 9.10 they should proceed very cautiously

Download and slow-burn the LiveCD/LiveUSB and see what does and doesn't work
    (if you experience any difficulties the first thing to do after it boots up is to turn off compiz)

Once you're satisfied enough with it that you think you'd like to run it "natively"(from your hard drive)...INSTALL IT TO A SEPARATE PARTITION!

do not crash your current running version of ubuntu by "upgrading" to 9.10

again, we cannot recommend this cautious approach/experimentation/procedure ENOUGH!

and...goes without saying...you've done very recent back-ups/clones...

right?

right!

as always, your mileage may vary, buyer beware, and buyer be aware!

let the fun continue...

{{sigh}}

we now return you to your regularily scheduled programming

Link: Help Vampires? * * * Please Edit First Post Title With "[SOLVED]" When It Is!
    MANDATORY INFORMATION: make, model/build number, OSes, software, accessories
    /customizations/modifications/peripherals/etc...and a DETAILED account of difficulties!

Beans

Hi, Ubunto virgin here. I installed 9.10 last night 2 mins after installing the last version from a live CD. If i try to run a video on VLC i get all kinds of flicker and stuff. I am currently running a Dell XPS M1330 with a P9033 CPU and a Nvidia 8400GS GPU. I have 4 gig of RAM. I am hopeing to move permantly to Ubunto but bad video is a major off put. Is it that this version is so new and should i try an older version ?. Please help as i am keen to try a move over to Linux, but i am getting frustrated with bad video. Oh and to add i did use the device driver option to install the so called latest Nvidia drivers after it scanned my hardware, no change to video. So at present i am back to Windows

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I have tried a restart as well as a complete removal/reinstall and nothing I have found in any other posts has worked as of yet.

I upgraded from Jaunty thru the GUI so there was no live CD involved and there aint no goin back. There have been a lot of improvements I have found so far in Karmic but this is one MAJOR flaw. Im surprised they let something this huge slip by before launching.

Hope they fix it soon eh?
    Last edited by 11010110; October 31st, 2009 at 08:42 PM.
    Toshiba Satellite A205 Notebook: 2GB RAM, 200GB HDD (1TB ext), 32 bit 1.67GHz Intel Centrino Core 2 Duo, Intel Chipset

Beans

No suitable decoder module:
    VLC does not support the audio or video format "XVID". Unfortunately there is no way for you to fix this.
    Don't really get that. Even with the relatively crappy vlc build and stock ffmpeg libs for karmic, vlc should be able to play most formats including xvid.

Maybe run this and try again

Code:
    vlc --reset-config --reset-plugins-cache

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Thanks for the input. I tried:

vlc --reset-config --reset-plugins-cach

and the terminal output:

~$ vlc --reset-config --reset-plugins-cach
    VLC media player 1.0.2 Goldeneye
    [0x9331680] main interface error: no interface module matched "globalhotkeys,none"
    [0x9331680] main interface error: no suitable interface module
    [0x923b140] main libvlc error: interface "globalhotkeys,none" initialization failed
    [0x923b140] main libvlc: Running vlc with the default interface. Use 'cvlc' to use vlc without interface.
    Fontconfig error: "~/.fonts.conf", line 1: XML declaration not well-formed

(<unknown>:14090): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "ubuntulooks",

VLC opened and there is still no improvement. This happens on ALL video formats even flash thru VLC. Flash works online in opera and firefox so I have no idea where to go form there.

Thanks again I appreciate the help so far everyone!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Did you install the restricted extras and the medibuntu pack, not do so. If stuff is still not working purge vlc and remove any vlc files and reinstall it. Also you might consider gxine amd the Mlpayer and smplayer set they all work very well. I have found Totem to play more types of in Karmic then ever before as well. Also when you all say videos are we talking about DVD's or downloaded video I saw one format mentioned but the description should be more comprehensive to get good answers.
    Last edited by wilee-nilee; November 1st, 2009 at 01:17 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Hey

I do have the restricted extras installed (I tried reinstalling them just in case to no avail). I have tried this with every video format I have on my computer and none of them work (I have not tried DVDs and they are all downloaded). It just gives the same error (but with a different filetype depending on the video type). I have tried videoplayer and totem and neither of them work and all give similar errors.

I think it may be a problem with the new version of VLC. As far as I know Jaunty came with 0.9.9 so I was wondering if there was a way I could revert back to the Jaunty version of VLC. I have the source but I am having a tough time building and configuring it (I am used to .deb). If anyone knows where I could find a .deb of VLC 0.9.9 that would be greatly appreciated. If not could someone run me thru how to compile it?

Thanks again
    Last edited by 11010110; November 1st, 2009 at 01:21 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Well, I'm completely new to ubuntu. I installed 9.10 yesterday and installed VLC as well.
    It seems to run fine but when i minimize the VLC window and restore it, it loses the video (black screen) while the audio continues to play.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

You can download vlc from its site. http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast