Thread: Karmic Gonna Get Me: Problems running full screen apps

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Karmic Gonna Get Me: Problems running full screen apps

So I upgraded to Karmic last night, and Wine seems to be suddenly problematic. A couple of the games that worked flawlessly in 9.04 (RT2 Platinum and HOI Doomsday) are puking, badly.

RT2 crashes on resolution change... pretty annoying. HOI Doomsday freaks out my monitor, which starts reporting out of range sync frequencies that require a hard reboot to fix.

The work-around at the moment appears to be running the games in Virtual Desktops.

Cedega, mercifully, appears unaffected by this issue. If it broke the Civ Beyond the Sword install that took me all day to get right I think I'd have had to go back to 9.04.

Now we just need the Handbrake people to release a Karmic friendly .deb, because the workaround on that appears to be either breaking Synaptic or just uninstalling it after each rip and reinstalling at a later date.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Question Re: Karmic Gonna Get Me: Problems running full screen apps

What version of Wine are you using?
    The version Karmic comes with?
    The latest development version from 9.04 (1.1.32)?
    or something older?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Karmic Gonna Get Me: Problems running full screen apps

At first it was 1.1.32, then I "upgraded" to 1.1.31 that Karmic comes with. Doing that caused the problems to be less catastrophic... they still crashed but didn't require a hard reboot to fix anymore.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Karmic Gonna Get Me: Problems running full screen apps

I have to be honest but I haven't come into those problems.
    I had Wine 1.1.32 in 9.04 and then upgraded to Ubuntu 9.10.
    I kept Wine 1.1.32 and I've tested several of my games, playing around with resolutions and graphics settings. No problems so far. Its still the same as in 9.04.

It could be isolated to a few type of games or maybe it has something to do with how your graphics are now handled after upgrade.

Any chance you ran those games through a terminal as well? Maybe a clearer picture to why it happened the way it did would portray itself.
    If things are fine now after your 'upgrade' then its ok if you don't want to bother. Just a bit curious is all.