Thread: oss4, alsa and pulseaudio on 9.10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

oss4, alsa and pulseaudio on 9.10

I have a problem. Or should i say problems, all connected with sound.

I made fresh install of 9.10 (no upgrade, i formated partition with 9.04) and all was good. Then i set things up and all was good. Until i tried to play two sounds at once (urban terror with mumble). Mumble had sound, urban terror didn't. So i tried to install oss4, as my brother has it on 9.04 and all works fine. I installed it, and got failing results. First i downloaded .deb packet from their site, but it gave me errors. Then i decided to compile it myself and it worked. At first i had no sound. Then, after setting up ossxmix i got sound in exaile, vlc, mplayer and mumble. More sounds at once too. Tried urban terror, it still doesn't work.

Urban terror console says it uses alsa, and it was successful loading. Yet, i don't get any sound in it. I tried to install all things connected with alsa, still no sound. Not even when Urban terror is only running application. I tried to set sounds in gstreamer (gstreamer-properties) on alsa, pulseaudio and on oss. How can i fix that?

Another problem is strictly connected to oss4. When i first set up ossxmix i got noise in background. And i realized its up to microphone. When i make it quiet, i don't get noise, but i can't record sound anymore. How can i make noise disappear and still be able to talk?

Sorry for long text, but that's how it is. Thanks for help!

My ossxmix in attachment.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    There are 10 types of people on this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: oss4, alsa and pulseaudio on 9.10

Nevermind, i did it. Problem was that Urban terror uses SDL, and i had SDL-alsa instead of sdl-oss. Finally, 4 hours of trying instead of 3 clicks...
    There are 10 types of people on this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: oss4, alsa and pulseaudio on 9.10

Quote Originally Posted by nisaky View Post
    Nevermind, i did it. Problem was that Urban terror uses SDL, and i had SDL-alsa instead of sdl-oss. Finally, 4 hours of trying instead of 3 clicks...

Thanks solved it for me too

But now no sound in Open Arena