Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Counter-Strike Source

Ubuntu 9.10, Karmic Koala (64 Bit)
    WINE 1.0.1
    Intel Core 2 Quad (2.66 GHz)
    4 GB DRR2 RAM
    EVGA nVidia GeForce 9800 GT (1 GB GDDR3 VRAM)

Hey, guys. I'm having some really annoying problems with Counter-Strike Source. There's no reason it shouldn't run, as it ran fine on my previous PC. I just built this one a couple of days ago, and I'm having trouble.

1. It will only run in a virtual desktop. If it is not in a virtual desktop, it hangs at loading the menu.

2. Sound doesn't work. I have tried both ALSA and OSS.

3. If I enter a server, it crashes shortly after. It's also real slow, which puzzles me, as my old PC was a third of the power of this one and it ran flawlessly. Proprietary video drivers are installed.

Anybody know how to fix these things?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Counter-Strike Source

I'd be willing to bet your Wine version is the culprit here! Try updating to the latest (1.1.32 as I write this) or if those do not work I know personally I have had good luck running CSS on Wine 1.1.28

Also be sure to check the link in my sig for suggestions on performance optimizations

~Jeff

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Thanks for the reply! I upgraded my version of WINE, and all of the problems listed were fixed. However, a new problem has arisen. Whenever I exit the game, it restarts X. Is there an explanation for this?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I would again bet this is a result of the Wine version. Try running it under 1.1.28 or .29 and see if the X restarting issue on exiting persists.

~Jeff