Thread: Internet slow with Windows

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Unhappy Internet slow with Windows

Hello everyone I was wondering why Internet browsing on Ubuntu (9.04 & 9.10) becomes dead & stops connecting when another Windows computer on the network is downloading or you-tubing it's really annoying because whenever my someone uses the Windows computer I can't even open Google

Please if there's any solution to at least be able to browse, don't hesitate to post.

Note: They are not on LAN, just using same router

Thanks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Internet slow with Windows

may be you are having a limited bandwith?

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic_kemo
    Hello everyone I was wondering why Internet browsing on Ubuntu (9.04 & 9.10) becomes dead & stops connecting when another Windows computer on the network is downloading or you-tubing it's really annoying because whenever my someone uses the Windows computer I can't even open Google
    I want to explain a bit further about what poster emigrant stated.

You have a limited amount of bandwidth on the account, if someone on the Windows system is downloading and you-tubing then they will be taking up almost all of that bandwidth. What you are seeing is the same as they would see if your Ubuntu system was DLing and Y-Ting instead of them. If you have the patience to wait, google would eventually finish your search (it has to wait and only gets a timeslice of the bandwidth usage .

Please if there's any solution to at least be able to browse, don't hesitate to post.
    Doesn't it eventually get to the site if you wait long enough? Could you ask the other user to do bandwidth intensive tasks at a time when you aren't trying to use the Internet?

Note: They are not on LAN, just using same router
    Well, generally that's what is considered as being on a LAN. If the router is doing DHCP and assigning the IP addresses then it is probably assigning them in the same subnet on your LAN. Don't worry if you don't totally understand that information. What you need to understand is that all the computers using the same Internet connection have to share the bandwidth.

It might be possible to shape the bandwidth usage on the router if it is capable of that, and if it is it will be in the router documentation but this is a bit of an advanced concept.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Thanks QLee, but could you explain in more detail or give me a link!