Thread: want to save evolution emails or print them fully

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Question want to save evolution emails or print them fully

i have a client of mine using ubuntu 9.10 and evolution email

what my client wants to do is save some important emails he recieves

i have tried this and i can save the entire email as an mbox format

now, this works fine with an exception. to open the file we must re open up evolution to import the file.
    once evolution opens up the mbox file we saved, everything is ok.

however

what my client wants to do is save the data to cd so it is readable

the emails are standard emails with writing and photos attached

i have installed pdf printer driver and told evolution to print the email to pdf

if i do this it will print the text and instead of printing the attached photos it will print the file name of the photo at the bottom of the writing in the email.

i have even tried to click the orange arrow next to the photos so in evolution we can see the photos in full and hit print to pdf

and *AGAIN* we can only see the text and it will not print the photos, just the file name of the photo

i have opened up open office and copied and pasted the text and saved the photos and imported them in to open office and pieced the email together like this and it looks fine.

problem is, im not going to do this for a few hundred emails.

does anyone have any ideas to help out

looking forwards to your replies

thanks
    Ubuntu user # 16304 www.nocleanfeed.com
    If someone asks you to sudo rm -rf anything, don't do it, and don't run any command with rm in it unless you know exactly what you're doing.things i have learnt changing from Xp pro to Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro

Re: want to save evolution emails or print them fully

just doing some experimenting

i have saved a single email out of evolution as an mbox format

i have imported the file into thunderbird

i can now print the file and attachments like who i was expecting it to happen where by the text is printed and then the photos

now, next problem, the photos are of such a high resolution that the photos are getting cut in half and spread over a few pages

i thought i would get smart and tell it to print to a pdf page the size of A3 and when i did this the photo were not printed at all from thunderbird.

very odd.
    i will keep hunting
    If someone asks you to sudo rm -rf anything, don't do it, and don't run any command with rm in it unless you know exactly what you're doing.things i have learnt changing from Xp pro to Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro

i have imported the mbox format in to thunder bird and then saved the email and attachments as an .eml file

i started up the clients pc (dual boot) in to windows and imported the .eml file into outlook express by drag/drop the .eml file to outlook express

if i hit file print in outlook express it also will only print the text and not the photos the same as evolution, so no advantages here

so far the closest i have got to achieving what i want is with thunder bird but the photos have been taken at such a high resolution they are not getting fully shown on the pages they are getting cut up and spread over the pages.

i have also tried kmail and it will also only print the text from the email and no photos

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by stinger30au View Post
    so far the closest i have got to achieving what i want is with thunder bird but the photos have been taken at such a high resolution they are not getting fully shown on the pages they are getting cut up and spread over the pages.

I think what we you need to do is look at the format of the email.

In the original email, are the photos INLINE (i.e. a photo inserted into an HTML email), or are they ATTACHED ?

If they are attached, you can't reasonably expect them to print, as they aren't part of the message - they're attachments.

But if you have an HTML email, with images inline, then you WOULD expect these to be printed.

Perhaps try emailing yourself and see what happens ... compose a new message to your customer, make sure this email is HTML. Then in your mail software click INSERT >> IMAGE. Then put the image, and some text, and another image.

Now do the same but this time ATTACH the image.

See if there's any difference.

Cheers
    Callan

Beans
    Distro

ah ha...

thanks for the tips

the photos are attachments though