Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does SLI work out of the box with 9.10?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Does SLI work out of the box with 9.10?

Hello, i was wondering if sli will work with ubuntu 9.10 easily on a fresh install. I have 2 geforce 7950GT cards, but after some fooling around i could never figure it out on Ubuntu 9.04 so my simple fix was to take one out. So I've been using 9.04 since it came out and have loved it except for my second card sitting on the shelf. Before i do a clean install of 9.10 i am wondering if i should attempt to put the second card back in my box. Anyone have any experience/tips for sli in ubuntu 9.10.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Does SLI work out of the box with 9.10?

I worked for me with 185 restricted drivers..."out of the box"
    (ubuntu 9.10 x64) With 2 - eVGA 8800 gt SSC @ 1920x1200 @ 60 HZ

I am Happy now GO UBUNTU!!

My Specs:

MSI 750I MB
    Q6600
    4gb 1066 ram
    2 - eVGA 8800 gt SSC
    150gb 10K hdd
    Creative Xf-I
    Ubuntu 9.10 x64

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Tutonic,
    Cool thanks, i'll be putting my other one back in before i install. But one other question. How do u know they are working together in SLI configuration vs just two video cards installed and working seperate of eachother. Is there an option somewhere? When i was trying to get it to work before i read you had to edit a config file somewhere otherwise they weren't working "together". Thank you for help.

On another note, (which i'll probably start another thread), but i noticed in your specs you have the x-fi card. Do you have the "breakout box" with inputs and remote control and if you do, is it fully working. (I also have this sitting on a shelf in my closet. I couldn't get the breakaway box to work so i just put it on the shelf till the future.) Thanks again.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Post Re: Does SLI work out of the box with 9.10?

I write a custom xorg.conf to setup SLI----PM me & I'll send the info to you--you will need to edit the section to match your hardware...

TutonicMonkey--check to make sure that you are SLI--there is a checkbox in the nVidia settingspanel to "enable heads-up display" If that is not there, you are just running 2 separate cards--not SLI. Take a look at the screenshots to verify....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by autocrosser; November 1st, 2009 at 07:47 PM.
    "Let's nobody be dead today----Looks very bad on my report" One of my favourite lines from AVATAR
    Linux User#395230
    Ubuntu User# 13498

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by autocrosser View Post
    I write a custom xorg.conf to setup SLI----PM me & I'll send the info to you--you will need to edit the section to match your hardware...

TutonicMonkey--check to make sure that you are SLI--there is a checkbox in the nVidia settingspanel to "enable heads-up display" If that is not there, you are just running 2 separate cards--not SLI. Take a look at the screenshots to verify....

Ahh I think you are correct... I do not have this option in Miscellaneous.

As for the X-FI - It was recognised during the initial install and I can see and select it in sound prefs "hardware" and "Output" but I hear no sound. My USB headset and internal sound work fine. Only noise I hear from the X-fi is during the Ubuntu loading window ... sort of a clicking noise. "breakout box" I asume you mean the front panel thing - I never used it so im not sure. I have this sound card..http://support.creative.com/Products...T=CategoryID:1

Beans
    Distro

Post Re: Does SLI work out of the box with 9.10?

OK--the other place you look at is the other screenshot I posted--note that it will say X Screens: Screen0(SLI) if you are "really" SLI---If not, post back & I'll set both of you up with the custom xorg.conf I use....

You will need to define the card slot you are using as your "main" card for SLI to work properly.....For that I will need to see your Xorg.0.log---located in /var/log--just copy the log to your desktop & right-click on it--then "compress" it as a .tar file. You can PM me if I don't get back here right away......
    Last edited by autocrosser; November 2nd, 2009 at 05:43 AM.
    "Let's nobody be dead today----Looks very bad on my report" One of my favourite lines from AVATAR
    Linux User#395230
    Ubuntu User# 13498

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Cool, thank you. I'll probably PM you in a couple days when i go to install. Was going to do it tonight, but i ran out of time. But let me ask this. With Ubuntu 9.04 (currently running), when i had both cards in the computer and i enabled the Nvidia drivers, when it tried to reboot all i got was a terminal screen and i was stuck... So when i go to install 9.10 should i do my clean install with both cards in the computer and then do u think i'll still be able to boot after i enable of drivers... or should i edit the xorg.conf file before i enable the drivers... or can i enable the drivers and if it doesn't work use the boot cd to edit xorg.conf file/email it to you?

Sorry if this long rambling question doesn't make any sense. I'm just trying to prevent problems from occuring. It's difficult to look up solutions when your comptuer is down.

Thank you both for your help.

Beans
    Distro

Thumbs down Re: Does SLI work out of the box with 9.10?

It's OK--Short answer--Install with one card in--get the nVidia driver installed, make your edits to xorg.conf, shut down & install the other card & bridge--then reboot. You "might" be able to install with the second card & bridge in your unit (I guess that TutonicMonkey was able to), but I don't bet on it......

As for the Xorg.0.log--you can send it any time you want--you just need to have it available just before you are ready to reboot & install the second card--I only need the slot address for your "main" card & card type you are using to set up a conf for you....It takes 10 minutes or so to mod the file to your specs.....

Any other questions--just ask--Remember: there are no stupid questions--just answers..
    Last edited by autocrosser; November 2nd, 2009 at 09:47 AM.
    Linux User#395230
    Ubuntu User# 13498

Beans

I can't really comment about the out of the box part since i switched to 9.10 during beta and had to do a bit of configuration to get my 2 9600gt's to work, but once i got them going i could not be more pleased with the ease of use and stability 9.10 has provided on this my first standalone Ubuntu box. (edit. i did indeed have to install one card solo to begin with FYI, but i can't say if this is really necessary now since as i mentioned i did this all during beta)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Hi! Love Ubuntu.
    How do I get rid of the SLI Hud (now that I know I am running in SLi)?
    It seems to be hanging/displaying in there although I unchecked the box.

Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast