Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Problems with ACPI.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Problems with ACPI.

Have you checked all your BIOS options for any that might be related to the problem?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by GepettoBR View Post
    Have you checked all your BIOS options for any that might be related to the problem?
    Unfortunately I haven't seen anything related to ACPI in the slightest that might solve the issue. :/

Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet.” – Albert Einstein.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Quote Originally Posted by Incendia View Post
    I've not done the memtest yet but what does it have to do with the ACPI not working?
    Mostly nothing. It's just a simple test, and then you can go from there knowing it's ok. Most trouble shooting of a PC is by trial and error.

Now, since it's not an overheating issue with your PC, we need to figure out why your computer is shutting down during the install.

Does it stop at the same spot everytime?

Beans
    Distro

Ok, after searching your Laptop model and ACPI, I found your old threads. It would have been helpful to know that this is not a new problem (i.e. this is not your first time installing linux) and that you started to look into this a long time ago.

But I do believe there is a BIOS upgrade for your laptop, and that may fix the ACPI issues you have. It may not. But it's a start.

Here is the link: http://support.packardbell.com/uk/it...form_vesuvio_a

Update your BIOS and try it again.

Also, if that didn't work, here is a resource to find a possible fix:

http://tuxmobil.org/pb.html

Let us know what happened.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by kubug View Post
    It would have been helpful to know that this is not a new problem (i.e. this is not your first time installing linux) and that you started to look into this a long time ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Incendia View Post
    Although, I still have ACPI problems. It refuses to boot without the options ACPI=Off and NolACPI. This isn't just Ubuntu: it is all distros.
    Hmm...

Beans
    Distro

What I meant with the comment was to list the previous steps he had already done to address the issue. If I would have known that I probably would not have suggested looking at his hardware, since it was a long time problem.

Beans

Mostly nothing. It's just a simple test, and then you can go from there knowing it's ok. Most trouble shooting of a PC is by trial and error.

Now, since it's not an overheating issue with your PC, we need to figure out why your computer is shutting down during the install.

Does it stop at the same spot everytime?
    No, it doesn't. :/

Here is the link: http://support.packardbell.com/uk/it...form_vesuvio_a

Update your BIOS and try it again.

Also, if that didn't work, here is a resource to find a possible fix:

http://tuxmobil.org/pb.html

Let us know what happened.
    I've tried that update before and it didn't change anything :/
    & my laptop is not listed there.

Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet.” – Albert Einstein.

Beans
    Distro

The only reason why I suggest a BIOS update is that your BIOS version is 1.00. Most motherboards I have owned will go through 4 - 10 BIOS updates.

The page says it's for the EasyNote SL51 series laptops. Isn't that your laptop?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Laptops and ACPI and Ubuntu haven't gone well for me either, I've just booted the live CD with boot options noapic and nolapic, don't enable ACPI later and all's well. I never used them anyway.

However, as far as I know, ACPI enables various power states such as sleep and hibernate. I wasn't aware of it regulating processor speed or temperature.

Perhaps it is a separate issue, not connected with ACPI?

Could someone either confirm or deny as to whether ACPI regulates overheating please, as I'm not certain.

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by barnacleboy View Post

Could someone either confirm or deny as to whether ACPI regulates overheating please, as I'm not certain.

Thanks.
    Here is a quick link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advance...ormance_states

By throttling the processor it keeps it cooler.

Anyways, I am not sure what chip is responsible for the ACPI on any given computer, and if there are ones to avoid. I wonder too if there is not a BIOS option to set that will allow you to still use ACPI.

Most modern computers will allow you to change the "Speedstep", "Cool'n Quiet", etc settings. Turning these off may help.

Also, changing the ACPI setting from "S3" to "S1" may improve things too.
    Last edited by kubug; November 5th, 2009 at 08:08 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast