Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Computer won't boot to 9.10; No Grub Menu

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: Computer won't boot to 9.10; No Grub Menu

It seems as if you could have a hardware problem of some kind, but I'm not sure.

I'm only guessing, but maybe there's something wrong with the hard disk.
    Can you open 'System' --> 'Adminsitration' --> 'Disk Utility ' ,and use the Palimsest Disk Utility to look in the firmware of the hard disk and see what the hard disk's logs have to say about the health of your hard disk please?

If you have the right tools and technical ability you may have a spare hard disk lying around you can try swapping the hard disk for a different one and see if that helps.

If you have already been adding and removing hard disks or if you assembled this computer yourself, please check your connections.
    If you have an IDE hard disk and CDROM, please make sure you have the right jumper settings for the kind of ribbon cables you have and the way you have the drives plugged in. This includes the CDROM drive if you have one, (I assume you do since you're able to boot a LiveCD).

If you have 'cable select' IDE ribbon cables, make sure the blue end is plugged into the motherboard socket and the black plug is plugged in to the drive you want to be 'master', and the grey plug goes to the drive you want to designate as 'slave'.
    Last edited by Herman; March 18th, 2010 at 09:39 PM.
    Ubuntu user since 2004 (Warty Warthog)

Beans

Bad sectors- none
    Self assessment- passed
    Overall assessment- disk is healthy

and all green in the attributes.

After installing the OS a second time...I carefully picked through the updates and omitted ones regarding grub and kernel. After the selected updates (minus grub and kernel stuff), the mandatory reboot went ok. After more than 24 hours I'm almost back to where I was.

Beans

Im trying to setup this hdd so i can dual boot karmic and windows 7. I already partitioned and installed 7, and now im just trying to fix up my grub2.
    can you elaborate this segment please : )

"If it still doesn't work try looking in your CMOS and disabling any MBR write-protect feature you may have left enabled, it may also be called something like 'boot sector antivirus' or some other name."

i have no idea what "CMOS" or "MBR" stands for.

I keep getting
    "grub-setup: error: cannot stat /media/KARMIC/boot/grub/boot.img"
    after I type in the last command you listed.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I keep getting
    "grub-setup: error: cannot stat /media/KARMIC/boot/grub/boot.img"
    after I type in the last command you listed.
    Sorry for the delayed reply.

Have you set 'KARMIC' as the label for your Ubuntu file system?

Is your Ubuntu 'KARMIC' file system mounted in /media?

i have no idea what "CMOS" or "MBR" stands for.
    That's okay, the problems I was trying to help davesbrain with are probably unique to his machine and you can safely ignore that information as it probably doesn't apply to you or if it does it probably doesn't have anything to do with your particular problem.

Incidentally, 'C.M.O.S.' stands for Complimentary Metal Oxide Semiconductor', and that refers to the technology used to store your BIOS settings in your RTC/NVRAM chip, the BIOS itself being stored in a ROM chip.
    To put it in simple terms, there is part of the BIOS you can't change, that's the ROM, (Read Only Memory), and there's the CMOS which we can flash with a BIOS update and we can boot into by pressing a designated key before the computer boots up and change settings for the motherboard. See BIOS Page for an example.
    What I was asking davesbrain to check was this, Turn off MBR antivirus or write protect

'MBR' stands for 'Master Boot Record', and it's in the first sector of most hard disks, and installing a MBR is called 'formatting' the disc. The MBR contains information about which sector each partition starts and ends in and what kind of file systems are there. A number of programs refer to the MBR's partition table for directions, including most boot loaders. Without the MBR, you would need to run special programs to search for your data which would take a long time. See
    MBR Page for more info.

Beans

Oh no worries i actually just checked it

Quote Originally Posted by Herman View Post

Have you set 'KARMIC' as the label for your Ubuntu file system?

Is your Ubuntu 'KARMIC' file system mounted in /media?
    Yes i labeled the partition 'KARMIC'. I checked /media/KARMIC and it said the directory exists, so it definitely was mounted correctly. or at least to the best of my knowledge.

Thanks for the info about the acronyms, slowly learning my stuff haha. So any idea where I go from here?

Beans

I have a CLEVO laptop with Windows 7 64bit and I installed 9.10 from a CD, the install seemed to go fine but after it restarted I just get a 'grub loading' screen and it never goes to the grub menu.

I have tried messing with all sorts of different configs on the BIOS but cannot get it to work.

Can anyone advise on this?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

So any idea where I go from here?
    Well, the cool thing about this thread originally was to let people know they didn't need to chroot every time to re-install GRUB2 as was widely believed at the time and probably true in earlier editions of GRUB2.

I guess since this method doesn't seem to be working for it it's time to get serious with it.
    Let's revert to the chroot method and chroot into your operating system, tell it who's the boss and make it do as it's told.

Here's my favorite chroot thread, the following Ubuntu Web Forums thread: how to chroot, simple and fast, by taavikko.

1. Mount your Ubuntu file system, (in your Ubuntu partition).
    You can use just go 'Places'-->'Removeable Media', and click on the icon representing your desired partition for mounting now in all modern versions of Ubuntu.

2. Check in your /media directory to find out what the name of your mount point is,
    Code:
    ls /media
    NOTE: If you have neglected to set a file system label, your file system may appear as a UUID hash instead of a user freindly name.
    To make things easier for yourself in future, see How To Set File System Labels With GParted - recommended.

From now on, I'm going to use the word 'mountpoint' to represent whatever the name of your mountpoint is actually named in /media. Please replace the word 'mountpoint' with whatever the actual name of your own mount point is for the rest of these commands.

@ckadlubek, I know your mountpoint is 'KARMIC", but I'm also writing this for others who might also refer to this post in the future.

Code:
    sudo mount -o bind /proc /media/mountpoint/proc

Code:
    sudo mount -o bind /dev  /media/mountpoint/dev

Code:
    sudo mount -o bind /dev/pts  /media/mountpoint/dev/pts

Code:
    sudo mount -o bind /sys  /media/mountpoint/sys

Code:
    sudo cp /etc/resolv.conf  /media/mountpoint/etc/resolv.conf

Code:
    sudo chroot  /media/mountpoint /bin/bash
    Code:
    # grub-install /dev/sda
    NOTE: You don't need to type the hash mark, that should be already there to show you are 'root' in the operating system you just chrooted into.
    WHERE: /dev/sda, (which indicates the MBR of your first hard disk), is where you want to install the code to that will make the MBR point to GRUB in your Ubuntu partition.
    Code:
    # exit
    Code:
    sudo umount /media/mountpoint/proc
    Code:
    sudo umount /media/mountpoint/dev/pts
    Code:
    sudo umount /media/mountpoint/dev
    Code:
    sudo umount /media/mountpoint
    Code:
    exit
    I'm sorry for putting you through such a big long list of commands, but the grub-install command should fix just about anything that could be wrong with your GRUB.
    It does a lot more than the grub-setup command. The grub-install command runs a lot of other commands, including grub-setup, and it replaces all of your files in /boot/grub except grub.cfg, so if any of your GRUB files were missing or corrupt, grub-install would have replaced them with new ones for you.
    The only drawback is all the extra commands you need to do in order to chroot first so you can run grub-install.
    It's a good idea to learn how to chroot if you don't already know, because it can get you out of other tight situations you may encounter once in a blue moon, especially if you're like me and you like to be adventurous and try to do things with your operating system that most people wouldn't try.
    Last edited by Herman; March 20th, 2010 at 02:30 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I have a CLEVO laptop with Windows 7 64bit and I installed 9.10 from a CD, the install seemed to go fine but after it restarted I just get a 'grub loading' screen and it never goes to the grub menu.

I have tried messing with all sorts of different configs on the BIOS but cannot get it to work.
    When GRUB just says 'GRUB Loading ... ', it probably means GRUB is in the MBR, but it didn't get very far looking for the other parts of itself. In other words, GRUB hasn't even loaded properly yet let alone being in a fit condition to load an operating system.

You could try chrooting and re-installing GRUB the same as I just explained above.

Another idea which would also work would be to boot your Ubuntu from a Command Line GRUB console and then fix it from within your running Ubuntu operating system. Here's a link to a web page about how to do that, GRUB2 How To Boot From CLI Mode - NEW! Rescue your System

Beans

Thanks a lot for taking the time to help me Herman

I just got back into town and I plan to try it out when i get off work. I appreciate the step-by-step regardless of its length. And yeah probably a good thing to know how to chroot. Especially when having my luck with computers, feel like I spend more time trouble shooting than using the thing haha.

Thanks again, will post how it goes later tonight

Beans

Herman it worked like a charm. And I got my dual boot setup. Now I get to trouble shoot all my windows 7 problems : (

all of this just so i can play bad company 2, lol.

Thanks again though, I really appreciate the time you took to help me out, and the swiftness in which you did it

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast