Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: 9.10 Ubuntu Software Center Stinks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: 9.10 Ubuntu Software Center Stinks!

Quote Originally Posted by willmac38 View Post
    Hey I'm new to Ubuntu. When trying to use the software center and get free software every thing I chose says not available in the current data. What does that mean I can't download anything can someone please help?
    That happens when the software center doesn't have an updated package list.

Try this:
    Open the terminal (Accessories> Terminal)
    type:
    sudo apt-get update
    This will update your package list. Now you should be able to install stuff.

Explanation: (in case you want to go deep into it)
    apt is the Debian package management system. apt-get allows us to control it via the command line.
    for more details on apt-get, try 'apt-get --help' or 'man apt-get' or 'info apt-get'

Note: Since you are new to Ubuntu (and I presume GNU/Linux), a word of warning:
    'sudo' is a very useful command, as in, it gives you root access to the entire system and you might end up using it quite a lot while configuring your machine. However, be careful of what commands you run, and always maintain a backup. I hope you enjoy Ubuntu!
    Last edited by robinparriath; November 21st, 2009 at 02:40 AM. Reason: Added 'sudo' warning

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Redsunz View Post
    Try clicking on System/Administration/Software sources.
    Check Ubuntu Software tab make sure the top for choices are checked then click the dowload from bar select other and run the test to find the best download server.
    Next click other software and make sure you have. http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu karmic partner checked.

After you close that go to System/Administration/Users and groups.
    Click your user account and click the key icon at the bottom to make changes.
    then go to properties make sure your in your user name and not root.
    Click the User Privileges and make sure Administer the system is checked use video devices and audio devices as well.
    Why these are not default I have no idea.
    Good luck
    Ok I'll try that Red, thanks I'm new to this. I'm so glad most of the people here are nice and very helpful.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by wgrant View Post
    What benefit does selecting more than one application at once give if it doesn't ask you for authentication for each one?
    The current configuration is annoyingly distracting, making the user jump from software selection to description to install, and then to the download queue window (once the install button is pressed) without allowing a one-stop shop installation experience.

Don't get me wrong, the Ubuntu Software Center interface is convenient for someone casually installing one program once in a while... It is by no means convenient for mass installation as it is a pain in the butt interface; as one is jumping through three screens PER program instead of in a laundry list fashion as one can do in the Add/Remove Appications Window in previous versions.

Further as an intermediate user, while I enjoy and extol that the Synaptic Package Manager allows me to install and further tweak Linux the way I like to use it -- it is a devil in design for installing mass programs as Synaptic often only tells you what required libraries and packages for the selection and doesn't always indicate which other programs need to be loaded in order for the end-user to enjoy the program that he had used in the past.

I might eventually do as someone else said about a single command line installation, but until that time, I prefer to laundry list my installs instead of bouncing through three screens one at a time.

Finally re-authentication for each program selected for both installation and de-installation seems to defeat the purpose of the elevated user indicator that is now built into 9.10. If we've already applied the password for elevated user commands, why does the program continue to ask the user to authenticate?

I'm sure that this is a "new security feature" that I'm sure I'm going to have to research further to tweak, but really -- if you folk haven't learned from the ire of intermediate and advanced users that have been shrieking about UAC in Windows Vista and 7 -- you're going to find people completely disabling the entire need for Passwords for SUDO commands and where will that leave Linux? That's right, the same place Windows is going through now with viruses and malware getting through because everyone's setting themselves to Admin Level privileges.

Quote Originally Posted by wgrant View Post
    It isn't great, but 'double-click application, click install' isn't world-endingly slower than 'click checkbox'.
    Why fix what isn't broke? I'm really glad for the commands that another user had plugged in here to getting Add/Remove added back to the SYSTEM > ADMINISTRATION menu that would allow me to fly through the programs -- laundry list style -- select 30+ programs and while the terminal-like interface is chugging along to install the necessary and required programs that I had used in the past, get myself a coke or cup of coffee and come back to see it's done what I asked.

P.S. In the Gnome-Add/Remove Programs, I was able to capture this shot which staggers the imagination. If Gnome's Add/Remove Application is so freakin' popular (5-Stars), why did you replace it with something only moderately popular (3-Stars)... Did the developer of the Ubuntu Software Center beg a favor? Or do you think over-simplicity will help users migrate?

Last edited by MerrickB; November 23rd, 2009 at 12:25 PM. Reason: The Sheer Irony of it all

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Thumbs down Re: 9.10 Ubuntu Software Center Stinks!

Quote Originally Posted by mrpeachy View Post
    Agreed that 9.10 software center is a backwards step from 9.04 add/remove
    I just spent far too much time getting rid of some of the junk that comes with the ubuntu install.

I could have selected all the software i wanted to get rid of and just let it get on with it, but instead i had to nurse the software center through the whole process step by step.
    Did you tried? System -> Administration -> Synaptic Package Manager

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567