Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Strange Networking in Karmic

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Strange Networking in Karmic

Has anyone tried on a clean 9.10 install using 'ndiswrapper'? Try blacklisting the ath5k & ath9k drivers or whatever from loading @ start-up and use that (ndiswrapper) w/ Windows driver & nm-applet?

The only reason I say, I had an Acer 5610z laptop that came with the brand spanking new Ambit PCIx card running an Atheros chipset that as each kernel was released would identify itself as something different. Ath5k came out and it auto-recognized & config, however, it would exhibit the same things being described. The only work-arounds at the time (you can probably scan for my threads from years back) was either a hotfix-patch from MadWifi (prior to ath*k kernel drivers) or using ndiswrapper & Windows drivers.

Registered Linux User #419773, Ubuntu User #8473 ("It Is What It Is")

If you type rm -Rf / as root at command line you will get herpes... then die... (okay, it'll erase ALL your data)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I used the ath5k driver under Jaunty without issue; do you still think your comment could be relevant?
    Asus Zenbook: Solus 4.1 GNOME | Dell Latitude: Ubuntu 20.04 Server

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Thumbs down Re: Strange Networking in Karmic

Well ... considering all the problems I had with this ath*k drivers, I'm now trying to install Madwifi drivers on Karmic. Unfortunately I can't get them to work well. I've already blacklisted ath*k drivers but my wireless adapter doesn't came up on startup.

I'm working on it right now, if I get to a solution or something I'll immediately post it right here.

About the ath*k errors, they said something like 'Unable to wake up ...' or something like that. Let me try to fix this madwifi thing and then I revert changes to see the error again.

C-ya later,
    X-TBT a.k.a. The Mentor.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by moore.bryan View Post
    I used the ath5k driver under Jaunty without issue; do you still think your comment could be relevant?
    Got me on that one... the issues I had date back to this post:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=789824

...It was the same on all distro(s) I tried: Ubuntu, Fedora, & openSUSE. If it can be confirmed as a kernel driver regression than ndiswrapper may be only hope. Haven't had the laptop with the Atheros since last year so it makes it difficult.

If you type rm -Rf / as root at command line you will get herpes... then die... (okay, it'll erase ALL your data)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I got rid of laptop around when 8.10 cam out and it seemed to recognize it fine but the biggest thing was when it finally got running okay with ath5k (may be confusing when using Fedora) the wireless connection would just "DROP" for no reason, no interface restart at CLI would do it, had to reboot laptop and pray it stayed connected for couple more hours. Kicked out ath*k again and went back to ndiswrapper and driver CD from Acer...

At least with mine, it was guaranteed that the new ath*k drivers was still infant and stunk requiring that fix in the post I showed you or ndiswrapper.

In this case, now that ath*k is 'a little more mature' we've added extra variables. Is the driver fist fighting with wpasupplicant or is ath*k not compatible now with any GUI network controller, or is it a legitimate kernel driver regression...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Angry Re: Strange Networking in Karmic

Quote Originally Posted by dca View Post
    Got me on that one... the issues I had date back to this post:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=789824

...It was the same on all distro(s) I tried: Ubuntu, Fedora, & openSUSE. If it can be confirmed as a kernel driver regression than ndiswrapper may be only hope. Haven't had the laptop with the Atheros since last year so it makes it difficult.
    I know what you mean 'dca'. In a matter of fact, I'm trying to make madwifi works with no success. I've already blacklisted any reference to ath*k and put to load ath_pci in /etc/modules but apparently the wifi adapter refuses to turn on (I can tell by the color of the light on the wireless button on the laptop).

I'll make further tests and see if I can get up on something.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I know, incredible, two Atheros issues on same page in wireless/networking support...

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1286503
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1309072

Last ones a how-to use MadWifi in Kubuntu which should apply to Ubuntu. More and more (thank God I don't have the card anymore, no offense guys) I see, they're calling it kernel regressions with ath*k drivers...

Beans

[QUOTE=dca;8355531]Has anyone tried on a clean 9.10 install using 'ndiswrapper'? Try blacklisting the ath5k & ath9k drivers or whatever from loading @ start-up and use that (ndiswrapper) w/ Windows driver & nm-applet?
    /QUOTE]

Please see this bug listing regarding ndiswrapper.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...er/+bug/459716

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Interesting twist: I've switched my router to WPA-PSK (TKIP) instead of WPA2-PSK (AES) and things seem to be acting "normal." I'm going to put my network under some heavy stress over the next few hours and report back findings.

I'm also in an email conversation with some of the wpa_supplicant devs; I'll report back on any info I can get out of that.
    Asus Zenbook: Solus 4.1 GNOME | Dell Latitude: Ubuntu 20.04 Server

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by moore.bryan View Post
    Interesting twist: I've switched my router to WPA-PSK (TKIP) instead of WPA2-PSK (AES) and things seem to be acting "normal." I'm going to put my network under some heavy stress over the next few hours and report back findings.

I'm also in an email conversation with some of the wpa_supplicant devs; I'll report back on any info I can get out of that.
    That was what I deduced with one of my AP's, which is a 2Wire. That's very strange but still, this is getting me nuts. I'm playing with madwifi with no satisfactory results. I'm gonna go back to Network-Manager and take off Wicd and see if I can fix this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast