Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: x11vnc won't start from /etc/gdm/Init/Default

Beans

Re: x11vnc won't start from /etc/gdm/Init/Default

I get the feeling that this is due to me having run the upgrade from 9.04 to 9.10, and I assume you just installed 9.10 straight away. I wonder if something went wrong in the upgrade.
    Yes, mine was a fresh install.

If you want to attach your Init/Default as a file for this thread I will take a look at it for differences. Also look for other files and permissions in the Init directory. I just have the file "Default".

Beans

I've got it. It had to do with the autologin. I was certain that the Init/Default script was not getting executed, so I knew that it was a problem with gdm, and not with x11vnc.

I figured that the only other difference between our setups was that I'd enabled autologin, and you had not. Once I'd disabled autologin, everything works exactly as you described, so, there's something to learn here:

1.) If you enable autologin using gdm's 'custom.conf' file, the Init/Default script does not execute. This is true for Ubuntu 9.10, but not for 9.04 and before. ***If you want to use x11vnc with gdm autologin in Ubuntu 9.10 (and possibly later versions), you should execute it from PreSession/Default instead of Init/Default.

2.) Your dev version of x11vnc gets around gdm's killinitclients perfectly (For Ubuntu 9.10, patched to the date of this post).

***I noticed something else, too, and it may have to do with my setup, or it may be farther-reaching. If you have autologin enabled, and do a logout, you cannot log back in. The greeter just re-appears every time you enter your credentials. This was verified over x11vnc, not at the local machine, but I don't see any reason it would be any different sitting at the console. Again, this may be caused by my stupidity, and not an inherent problem in gdm.

At any rate, it now works for me again. Thanks for all your help!

Beans

krunge, many thanks for all the help.

I was trying to compile your latest raball on ubuntu but it never worked. I'm not very good at this but I tried a long time and was getting crazy why it is so hard to
    compile it and get it run

But with your lates help I finally get it running on a virtualbox 32-bit Version.

+++

For all others, here's a quick how to x11vnc (0.9.9) with Ubuntu 9.10 (32 und 64-bit Version)
    Test with Ubuntu 9.10 32-bit in Virtualbox

I kept the original File names and did a different logfile name.

Download here:

http://www.karlrunge.com/x11vnc/bins/

Choose

x11vnc-0.9.9_TEST_i686-Linux (32-bit)

or

x11vnc-0.9.9_TEST_amd64-Linux (64-bit)

download and copy to this directory /usr/bin/

right mouseclick on file and go to permissions, activate run as program (hope I translated good enough)

Install via Synaptic:

openssh-server

Now set the password

sudo x11vnc-0.9.9_TEST_i686-Linux -storepasswd yourpasswordhere /etc/x11vnc.pass

replace “yourpasswordhere” with your password

config GDM to run x11vnc before login screen:

sudo gedit /etc/gdm/Init/Default

/usr/bin/x11vnc-0.9.9_TEST_i686-Linux -rfbauth /etc/x11vnc.pass -o /tmp/x11vnc_0.9.9_32.log -forever -bg -rfbport 5900
    - if you have 64-bit replace it in the line

Reboot and you have x11vnc before login without any crash
    Thanks again !

Beans

Hi, I've compiled your 0.9.9 x11vnc and added the following line to /etc/gdm/Init/Default on a new 9.10 installation

/usr/bin/x11vnc -rfbauth /etc/x11vnc.pass -o /tmp/x11vnc.log -forever -bg -rfbport 5900
    it still quits after loggin in.

Ideas?
    Last edited by Sappox; November 26th, 2009 at 12:20 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Sappox View Post
    it still quits after loggin in.

Ideas?
    Put /tmp/x11vnc.log in as an attachment to this thread.

Beans

Sorry for the delay.

After a reboot it worked. No idea why it was giving the problem before...

Thank you.

Beans

Krunge:

I can confirm that I'm seeing this same problem after upgrading from Ubuntu 9.04. Namely, I login via ssh and then manually start x11vnc, and then I use RealVNC to connect to the box and do the login from there. When I click login, I x11vnc terminates and the login never processes (I'm back at the GDM login page when I restart x11vnc and connect).

Will this fix eventually be merged into the 9.10 Ubuntu repositories so that x11vnc will work, or do I need to get your test version? Any idea (rough guess) on how long until it's fixed?

Thanks for ALL of your work on x11vnc. Great product.

Also, I get the following line on login:
    caught XIO error:
    05/12/2009 21:15:03 deleted 32 tile_row polling images.

I realize that caught XIO error is supposed to give information, but why is there no error message after that line?

Lothsahn
    Last edited by Lothsahn; December 6th, 2009 at 03:15 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Lothsahn View Post
    Will this fix eventually be merged into the 9.10 Ubuntu repositories so that x11vnc will work, or do I need to get your test version? Any idea (rough guess) on how long until it's fixed?
    I would like to release this x11vnc 0.9.9 sometime this month. Then it is up to when debian picks it up and then when ubuntu picks up what debian has delivered.

Until this year, x11vnc was orphaned by debian, and so updates would sometimes take years; but this year a nice fellow, a debian maintainer, has 'adopted' x11vnc along with some other packages. So I am optimistic that x11vnc 0.9.9 will be in debian/testing a month or so after after I release it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by krunge View Post
    I would like to release this x11vnc 0.9.9 sometime this month. Then it is up to when debian picks it up and then when ubuntu picks up what debian has delivered.

Until this year, x11vnc was orphaned by debian, and so updates would sometimes take years; but this year a nice fellow, a debian maintainer, has 'adopted' x11vnc along with some other packages. So I am optimistic that x11vnc 0.9.9 will be in debian/testing a month or so after after I release it.
    Awesome, look forward to the official fix.

Beans

Krunge, please can you help, i've compiled 0.9.9 x11vnc and added "/home/vladimir/x11vnc -o /var/tmp/x11vnc_test.log -forever -bg" to /etc/gdm/Init/Default on a 9.10, but even after reboot it still quits after loggin in. Attached x11vnc_test.log P.S. The biggest thank you for your work on x11vnc!!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast