Thread: PHP SQL question.

Beans
    Hidden!

PHP SQL question.

Hi, I want to know could a sql Where clause use more then one field?

let me explain. I want to do something like this:

Code:
    SQL ->  ("SELECT * FROM places WHERE country = $country  , state = $state , city = $city catagory = $catagory");
    I want to know if I can use more then one condition in the where clause and if so how do I seperate each condition?

do I just use , or use . . inbetween the conditions then followed after by a , ?

my goal here is to query search postings made by users for only their country,state/region,city, and the catagory. Like what the postings about.

I want to use those values to grab only matching values from the database and display them.

So how would I do this correctly. what do I need to use to seperate each filed = too values...

Thanks you for your time.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: PHP SQL question.

you use 'AND' to connect conditions, say

Code:
    SELECT * FROM table1 WHERE column1 = 1 AND column2 = 2
    this will get you the data matching all the given conditions, you may want also to just make a wildcard using 'LIKE'. for more info here
    There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so. - W. Shakespeare

Linux User #484611 | Ubuntu User #26153 | Blog

Beans
    Hidden!

Use AND / OR ..

P.S. - field = 'value', not field = value

Beans
    Hidden!

would I be able to also add a OR in those conditions?

Cause I want to allow the users to either select a city name or type in a zip code. So in the sql I want to use either one but not both.

Beans
    Hidden!

ok thanks. THe reason I ask this is that I am getting a error.

here is my exact sql code
    Code:
    "SELECT * FROM postings WHERE state ='$state' AND Country ='$country' AND city ='$city' AND/OR zip code ='$zipcode'  AND item ='$item'")
    The error I get is:
    Code:
    Warning: mysql_num_rows(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in ... line 22
    Line 22 is mysql_num_rows($query1) and $query1 has the query listed above with the code to excute the query.

Beans
    Hidden!

AND and OR are 2 separate keywords: http://www.w3schools.com/Sql/sql_and_or.asp

Beans

try this

Code:
    $q = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM postings WHERE state ='".$state."' AND Country ='".$country."' AND city ='".$city."' AND/OR zip code ='".$zipcode."'  AND item ='".$item."'")
    putting variables in a string without something telling it that it contains variabls is always risky

Beans
    Hidden!

I gave those a try and still get the same error. I been trying other stuff also and doing google searches.

I still can't get it going. I will try and figure it out.

Beans

are you sure the query is correct? that error usually means the query has failed.

change your code to:

$query = mysql_query(*your query*) or die (mysql_error());

or

$query = mysql_query(*your query*) or print mysql_error();

if you dont like using die (some programmers dont, i just think they are anal).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I gave those a try and still get the same error. I been trying other stuff also and doing google searches.

I still can't get it going. I will try and figure it out.
    Remove the "AND/OR" part of your query and replace it with "OR". OR returns true if either or both conditions are met. XOR only returns true when one, not both conditions are true.