Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: skype mic not working on Ubuntu 9.10 netbook

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: skype mic not working on Ubuntu 9.10 netbook

When I installed Karmic K the Skype mike quit working and I was only able to get it working by upgrading to Skype 2.1. It worked fine for a month then the mike quit working again. I reinstalled Skype 2.0 but it didn't work--too many choices in sound device options all of which failed to work. So I then reinstalled 2.1 and it worked again. My guess is that Skype or something is resetting something on reboots. What is a pain in the *** about this is that reinstalling 2.1 didn't work. I had to install 2.0 then 2.1 to get it to work. Are they neglecting Linux by not fixing cheesy stuff like this? I would quit using Skype if it weren't for friends in foreign countries who use it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I did all the things recommended above such as installing padevchooser and messing around with alsamixer settings. Neither Skype 2.0 nor 2.1 works for me. Or, this is how I can get it to work: I have to uninstall 2.1, install 2.0 and then I need to reinstall 2.1. If I only put my computer into suspend Skype, or something, resets everything and the mic will not work and I need to repeat the process. So if you need to waste 2 hours putting on your shoes for a one hour walk you will just not bother anymore.

Does anyone have a solution for this? Is this my computer set up? I have an Audigy 2 sound card. Or is Skype deteriorating and going the way of Netscape?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by revanb View Post
    The following works for me in 9.10

If, in Skype, the audio options are set to PulseAudio with no other options you need to do the following:

* Open your sound setting (Right clicking speaker icon top right will do)

* In sound settings go to input tab and choose your microphone/source there.
    thanks!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cipicip View Post
    Use this from the dropdown: "HD Intel (hw:0)"
    Hi I tried ur method of reinstalling skype with version 2.0.Jus for the sake of clarification did u select HDA Intel(hw;Intel,0) for all 3 cases viz Sound in Sound out and ringing?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Yes

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by joeljoseph999 View Post
    Hi I tried ur method of reinstalling skype with version 2.0.Jus for the sake of clarification did u select HDA Intel(hw;Intel,0) for all 3 cases viz Sound in Sound out and ringing?
    Yes. But feel free to experiment with them. I know that in one case only one speaker was working (mono instead of stereo sound out).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ighlight=pulse

Remove PulseAudio, and it will work.

PulseAudio does not allow you to change anything in the Skype sound configuration.. so choose Alsa.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Exclamation Re: skype mic not working on Ubuntu 9.10 notebook

Hello there,

i would like to be able to make calls from Skype 2.1 on Jaunty. All the above didn't work out for me.
    Skype test-call does not work, input does not work during calls. Please help me fix this i need to use Skype badly.
    PulseAudio Volume control does not open and i don't know how to setup PulseAudio Device Chooser.

cheers.
    B.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cipicip View Post
    Solved. Installed skype version 2.0 and selected "HD Intel (hw:0)" option.
    http://download.skype.com/linux/skyp....72-1_i386.deb
    I have similar problems with a thinkpad t40. I uninstalled the newer version and installed the one with the above link. But when I open the drop down boxes under sound options, I have a whole slew of option choices, including a bunch starting with Intel 8201DB-ICH4 followed by different codes. And HDMI and Bluetooth. But not the one listed above. With Pulse, I can hear, but the mic will not work. The other choices don't seem to work.

Update: I deleted Skype 2.0 and downloaded 2.1 from the Skype website, but picked Ubuntu 8.10 and NOT Ubuntu 8.10 +32. Now the sound works perfectly.
    Last edited by egruber; January 6th, 2010 at 01:21 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

@jesuisbenjamin,

why don't you try skype 2.0?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast