Thread: Setting up domain.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Talking Setting up domain.

Hey guys,

Ok here is my question. I am wanting to setup a domain controller/DNS/DHCP/VPN box for my house. I have the opportunity to get M$ server 2003 for free through my workplace. Since this is the first time I am attempting this what would be easier for me to setup. Ubuntu Server 8.04 or the M$ OS? Note: I am pretty new to Linux in general. What would you guys recommend?

Thanks for the help!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Re: Setting up domain.

MS - it goes like this: "Next, next, OK, Finish, Reboot". And you don't even have to understand how it works
    Wer dämlich mit H schreibt ist nämlich!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by H3l0 View Post
    Hey guys,

Ok here is my question. I am wanting to setup a domain controller/DNS/DHCP/VPN box for my house. I have the opportunity to get M$ server 2003 for free through my workplace. Since this is the first time I am attempting this what would be easier for me to setup. Ubuntu Server 8.04 or the M$ OS? Note: I am pretty new to Linux in general. What would you guys recommend?

Thanks for the help!
    Well although I would prefer linux server myself, it's much more easy to get it up and running with Microsoft.
    All the technology in linux exists but it has very very bad, incomplete out-of-date documentation. This really, really sucks!

You are about the tenth instance I've seen this year of people/organisations moving (or probably moving) to windows because of this. And I'm not even a people/organisation person

I would never go for the Microsoft solution but I have no trouble understanding why people would (taking the current state of documentation on open source alternatives).

The best documentation for open source tech I have found is:
    http://www.rrcomputerconsulting.com/...p?article_id=3
    It's very complete but its for ubuntu 7.10.

It's all just too bad...
    Last edited by whoop; October 30th, 2009 at 05:22 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

LOL!

Well I'm not the one to just set something up and not care to know how it works.

Here is another question: If I'm wanting to do VPN will I need to get a static IP from my ISP?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by whoop View Post
    Well although I would prefer linux server myself, it's much more easy to get it up and running with Microsoft.
    All the technology in linux exists but it has very very bad, incomplete out-of-date documentation. This really, really sucks!

You are about the tenth instance I've seen this year of people/organisations moving (or probably moving) to windows because of this. And I'm not even a people/organisation person

I would never go for the Microsoft solution but I have no trouble understanding why people would (taking the current state of documentation on open source alternatives).

The best documentation for open source tech I have found is:
    http://www.rrcomputerconsulting.com/...p?article_id=3
    It's very complete but its for ubuntu 7.10.

It's all just too bad...
    That's exactly right. I haven't even worked with Vista or Win7 and recommend to people to give ubuntu a try, but for people that don't like to, or don't have time to figure things out - MS is unfortunately the right choice (at least for now).

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by elvinatom View Post
    That's exactly right. I haven't even worked with Vista or Win7 and recommend to people to give ubuntu a try, but for people that don't like to, or don't have time to figure things out - MS is unfortunately the right choice (at least for now).
    I know it's a shame...

So please, everyone shout out. Let yourself be heard. Even if you go for the Microsoft solution or if you are a user that doesn't even need roaming profiles and the likes.
    Everyone should understand, technology like this is a must for corporate environments to switch to linux.

Show support for blueprints like these:
    https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubu...main-for-linux
    Let yourself be heard on threads like these (like I did):
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1304795
    There's probably other ways I didn't think of...

Personally, I'm not asking for point and click solutions, just complete up to date documentation for a technology that has priority number one.
    Last edited by whoop; October 30th, 2009 at 05:28 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by H3l0 View Post
    LOL!

Well I'm not the one to just set something up and not care to know how it works.

Here is another question: If I'm wanting to do VPN will I need to get a static IP from my ISP?
    I don't know - i never used this, but if you like to learn the "good" stuff, DNS and DHCP is quite easy to set up under linux using the cli.

Beans
    Distro

I've created an ubuntu idea on this topic: http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/22151/
    Please Vote!

I don't expect this solved for Lucid, which is a shame as lucid is an LTS. But we can still hope somebody will get motivated to document it at least, even after the release.

I'll probably be trying to get it up and running when Lucid nears completion. So maybe I can even solve the problem.
    I'll see how far I can get, but there must be people that are experts on this.